Belly Dance Competition on CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azeeza

Moon:

Did you think Dina made a snide remark?

I thought she was saying that any time there is a belly dance competition in Egypt, where dancers from all over the world participate, the Egyptian dancer always wins, no matter if the foreign dancer is better and that wasn't fair.

Did I misunderstand her? I have quite a few Dina videos and she is so incredibly wonderful to her students and is a great teacher even though there is a definite language barrier. I've appreciated her more after acquiring these tapes.

Azeeza

Aaeesha

I doubt her remark was meant to be arrogant. I agree with Azeeza's impression. Language barrier could have been a factor. I don't think she was trying to "diss" on dancers of other cultures.

Aisha Azar

Contest on CNN

Dear Group,
Does anyone know who the judges were for the contest? I saw the clip and it does not change my feelings about Bozenka and her dancing. Egyptian dancers of good caliber should not enter the contest... I would agree with Dina on that.
Regards,
A'isha

Kiraze

From some other forums I read that to the judges belonged e.g. Dr Mo Geddawi and other "masters" of Egyptian dance who also were teachers at the festival.

As dance competitions in Europe are not too popular (or at least have not been) it is somehow strange to me that a long time famous pro dancers like Bozenka participate in the competition where most of the others are amateurs or at least unknown to international public. For an amateur dancer the price of dance costume would have been something very special when to Bozenka who probably makes loads of money with BDSS it is just one more line on her credit list... What if Nour or Katya or some other foreign dancers who dance pro at Cairo would have participated?

Aisha Azar

CNN, etc.

Dear Kiraze,
I have seen Bozenka live and from what the news report said, she was not chosen so much for her great moves in general as for her spins and turns.... and something else... I forget what. Bozenka is an average good American style dance dancer... Egyptian she is definately not. If she was up against a lot of amateur dancers, then I could see where she might win, but my goodness, what is a professional doing in a contest anyway??
Regards,
A'isha

Asrari

I saw the CNN story on CTV Newsnet here in Canada, it was exciting to see a bellydance competition on the news here.

Aaeesha

I'm curious to know if there were specific criteria for entering the contest and whether there were catagoies for professionals vs amateurs. I know Amar Gamal previously won this very same contest in 2004, and for those of you who don't know, Amar is a BDSS also.

MiamiDancer

I'm happy to see a Miami performer win the competition. Does anyone know the name of the competition, the CNN clip didn't say.

Attachments

• 3600.jpg
    3600.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 80

Moon

azeeza said:
Moon:

Did you think Dina made a snide remark?

I thought she was saying that any time there is a belly dance competition in Egypt, where dancers from all over the world participate, the Egyptian dancer always wins, no matter if the foreign dancer is better and that wasn't fair.

Did I misunderstand her? I have quite a few Dina videos and she is so incredibly wonderful to her students and is a great teacher even though there is a definite language barrier. I've appreciated her more after acquiring these tapes.

Azeeza

oops, you might be right about that. I thought she meant that Egyptian dancers are always better than foreign dancers, but now I think she meant what you said.

Mariah

All in good fun!

Competing, whether a professional dancer or amateur, is a very personal choice. I don't think it has anything to do with who you are in the dance or which companies you are a part of. It's just something exciting, fun, and challenging to do for yourself. I've been a professional bellydancer and Instructor going on 15 years and just recently started competing. I'm considered now a "seasoned dancer" and really just wanted to see how I did compared to some of the younger ladies. So far I placed 3rd in the East Coast Classic and 2nd in the Personal Best Middle Eastern Dance Competition. I'm going for another win at the upcoming Za-Beth's Diva Pageant in Boston and Jewel of the Nile in NJ. It's all in good fun!

Ludmilla

Hi Azeeza, All -- I see that clip was from July 6, '06, but it is not accessible anymore on either CNN or this aol link -- Does anyone know where this might be found? It sounds so interesting -- hope it might be seen now :confused: Ludy

samira shuruk

but my goodness, what is a professional doing in a contest anyway??
Regards,
A'isha

I don't think competition is for me, but to each his own.
With all the competitions with specific catagories for professional dancers I'd say a lot of professional dancers take part in competitions. So you are commenting on all of them and all the competition organizers with derision.

Mariah

Za-Beth's Annual Diva Pageant in Boston was a lot of fun. I'm glad I went considering I won First Runner Up. Competing in dance requires an open-minded, carefree, and cheerful attitude. If you go into a competition not planning on winning, but to meet other great dancers/supporters from all over the country, you can always come home a winner. Bringing home a trophy is the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.