Wearing what suits you

Amulya

I started this topic some days ago and of course it is gone. So I just start it up again:

Stealing this topic from Bhuz:tongue: . I think it is a great topic!

This was the question:
"How honest can you be about yourself when it comes to costuming. Can you cast an outsider's eye on what you look like? How you appear to others? Or don't you care? Or should you care? Is it acceptable to wear anything we please, no matter how we look in it? Is it professional? Or is it amateur?"

and if you like to read more on the original thread go to: Bhuz

I like to be really honest to myself, because I wouldn't like to wear something that looks bad on me. I prefer others to honestly say it to me if I look bad. Of course people are often not that honest, so I just bluntly ask. So I once removed a part of a costume that other dancers really disliked and that I liked. But later I realized they were right, it did look odd.
Costumes do look different in the mirror than in action, so I often change things on a costume after having it seen on video.

Last edited:

Moon

I think you should wear as much as possible what suits you. However, it must be appropriate for the performance and if it's a group performance, it should fit with the costumes of the other dancers.

Michelle

I agree with moon in the sense that you should wear what suits you... to an extent. For instance, wearing something that you really like makes you feel more confident and extra confidence never hurts anybody at performance time. However, all within reason, right? First off, I would try not to purchase something that I don't like (sounds like common sense). And like Amulya said, I would definitely ask for opinions before ever setting foot on stage and take those into account. But essentially, it would be my choice.:)

Amulya

I would definitely ask for opinions before ever setting foot on stage and take those into account.

You do need really honest people for this. Best is to show the costume while dancing, because due to movement the costume can look odd in certain angles and movements. Sometimes I ask people online to comment on it. My two blue costumes for example are adjusted with help from internet friends (I showed them a video clip). They suggested me to put less fringe and to alter the bras so they would look better. Before the costumes made me look short waisted (spelling?), now they don't:)

Michelle

ooh, so true.... sometimes you have that friend who will tell you that even the garbage bag you're wearing looks flattering with your skin tone.....:p

Thara

Hi! As i'm working on my first costume i'm worry a lot - its dificult see will proportions and things like that be ok if costume is not ready. Trough i have lernt a lot from other people mistakes - just see things that doesnt work.