Um...please explain...?

GOOD GRIEF lol, this is no better or different really than some of the smuttiest late night rap videos which caused a lot of outrage among black women ,, its upsetting to see those children there:shok::shok:, i really dont understand this,, i think this is called "malaya" there was a thread on this very recently,, i dont care if its cultural to them becuz its obsenity to me and its fine if these women want to do this for their husbands behind a closed door but not b4 other ppl especially children

gypsy8522

Oh, no! Not again!

In the other thread I was defending the African countries where its part of their culture to dance with their booties, not this! Apparently this is no cultural dance, just a bunch of girls that don't know any better. Especially since they're doing it infront of little kids, that is sad!

However, I'm still having a hard time understanding some of the exagerated shocked attitudes by some people, especially those [like someone from the m3alaya thread] claiming being westernized and therefore "openminded"... by the way, has anyone here ever watched Girls Gone Wild? I know their commercials run on American tv, and a lot of these college girls I'm assuming are not over 21 yet, i.e. they are minors?!?!

So, what exactly is the fuss about? Is it because these people you see in the video are Arabs? You know...they are still the same species as you. Or, could it be because they are muslim? Didn't Jessica Simpson use to be a church singer? And wasn't her dad (who is now her manager and promoting his daughter's "double D's") a former church minister?

So maybe............. this explains some of the duality of some people! I agree with what Tarik said before, that every country has their toilets!

Now, unfortunately, Jessica Simpson appears to be a role model to many young girls. I've seen my friends little sister once standing infront of the TV set trying to immulate her moves.

Here's the video if you haven't seen it, it's called "these boots aren't made for walkin'". And make sure to watch til the end.....I think this might explain also where the m3alaya girls might have gotten their moves from!!! Or, it could be the other way around. :rolleyes: At least they're not doing it on tv, thank goodness for that! And if you've got time, don't forget to look at the "slut" and "whore" comments under the video... This just goes to show how we're all different..... but similar!

Aisha Azar

Smut, etc.

Dear Group,
I am not sure what country this video was from. Judging from the way that various background people were dressed, it was either one of the more liberal countries in the Gulf, or it was Iraq.
In any case, the sharmutas humping each other is not a custom that one generally sees in mixed company at parties, though I have seen and heard about almost similar behavior among Arab Gulf and Leventine women when the party is closed to men, whether or not children are present. You might note that all of the women who were indulging in the more raucus behaviors were dressed alike, and this intimates that they were hired to perform, not guests acting up!
Everyone is very shocked about the kids, I hate to say this, but in many ways, Arabs are much more free about sexuality in front of their kids than are westerners who have Puritan ancestry!! I have heard Arab women discuss very intimate details of their sex lives in front of their children and no one gets too freaked out. In some ways, in general their attitudes toward sex are pretty healthy as compared to those who are uptight about it in some other countries.
Regards,
A'isha

Ecuabellydancer

OMG... I'm having a flashback of a horrible South Beach night club I went to once. RIDICULOUS!

Hey Tia Serena, would this club happen to be Mango´s? A few months ago I went for a long weekend to Miami and was told that at this club they had belly dancing performances some times, but I went one night and they only had reggaeton, salsa and samba... :rolleyes:

gisela

Super Moderator
I would say OMG to both those videos in the thread! At least the arab women are wearing some clothes. I really hate Jessica Simpson and I can't understand why she's famous. Luckily she's not that big in scandinavia so I'm spared most of the time.
BTW did you see how that beer bottle was glued to the tray and she keeps tipping it over. :lol::lol::lol:

TiaSerena

Hey Tia Serena, would this club happen to be Mango´s? A few months ago I went for a long weekend to Miami and was told that at this club they had belly dancing performances some times, but I went one night and they only had reggaeton, salsa and samba... :rolleyes:

:lol:I wasn't thinking of Mango's but I have been there and I know exactly why you would mention it. I was thinking more Club Deep... just the name of the place is enough to make me run the other way.

Moon

Now, unfortunately, Jessica Simpson appears to be a role model to many young girls.
Oh my goodness... they could just as well get their brains removed right now :rolleyes:

Shanazel

Okay, I'll bite: who the heck is Jessica Simpson?

Tsk- my cultural illiteracy. I really must spend more time reading the tabloids at the grocery checkout.

Last edited:

Moon

http://www.premiumseatsusa.com/concert/Jessica-Simpson/images/jessica-simpson-bed-300-400-101206.jpg
Some singer who also was in this show "newly weds" together with her husband. She's the one buying sheets (because the old ones were so old) for $2000 or something, then complained about the bad smell, put them in the washing machine and screw up so badly they couldn't be used anymore. She's also the one looking at a pan with water asking "how do you know when it's boiling?" and she's the one who asked her husband how to spell almost every word of the valentine's card she was going to write for him. Oh let's not forget the time she wanted to move and when they bought a new house and had packed all their stuff, she decided she rather stayed in their old house.
I believe they're divorced now. See, looks can be quite fun but the lack of brains can get annoying after a while.

gypsy8522

Dear Group,
I am not sure what country this video was from. Judging from the way that various background people were dressed, it was either one of the more liberal countries in the Gulf, or it was Iraq.

Regards,
A'isha

A'isha,

I suspected either Oman or United Arab Emirates, but after seeing a man walking by wearing a dishdasha and ghotra, I weed out Oman. This is most probably somewhere in the United Arab Emirates, in one of the more rural village areas. There is no such thing as liberal countries in the gulf, in the end they are all bedouins and their lifestyles are similar. But the laws vary from country to country, with Saudi Arabia being the strictest.

My sister went to a wedding where there was m3alaya dancing, I wasn't born then. She told me during that time only the black khaleegis danced the m3alaya, not the Arabs....they covered their faces and danced with their butts, but it wasn't raunchy to this extent. She says only the extremely low class weddings do this, which explains why I've never seen this dancing before. I've only been to the type of khaleegi weddings where the bride's jewelry alone is worth a million dollars. The guests arrive, walk around in their designer dresses and stare at each other, no one dances... and if they do, is way different that this. Cameras are strictly not allowed. All weddings have police officers standing outside and they search your purse to make sure you don't have a camera. If you have a cameraphone on you, they'll hold on to it and give you a ticket. This is how most middle and upper class weddings run. If you notice in this video the women are sitting on the floor! This shows this is a very low class wedding party, that is most probably taking place in either Om El Guween or Ras El Khaimah. A friend of mine told me the m3alaya is mostly found there.

I don't see anything "liberal" about this dancing. I think a better way to describe it would be, uneducated. These are mostly people with very little education, it is no different than what goes on in some of the weddings in Egypt's poor neighbourhoods. I'm sure you've seen the prostitutes dancing on stage with Saad El Soghayer. It is different country, same concept. I also find this no different than belly dancing on youtube, where I've read comments about Suheir Zaki saying "this dancer is fat and slow... watch (insert name of tackiest belly dancer on you tube here), she is much better". When my mom and I were passing by a gallery of a talented painter a few month back, she said his paintings are something a 5 year old can do! My point is, it is difficult to appreciate something that you have very little knowledge about. I doubt if these people, whether it's those watching or the girls that are dancing, are educated enough or have any kind of knowledge about art.

gypsy8522

I would say OMG to both those videos in the thread! At least the arab women are wearing some clothes.

It doesn't bother me that she's half naked, I just think the bikini in the end was too much:lol:. These girls, whether it's her or Britney, supposedly have dance trainers and choreographers. I don't get why Britney is dancing around a pole in her latest video?!?! I know she used to be a ballet/ jazz dancer before getting into showbiz, she really should know better. I think there is a better way to show their body or even be sexual, without degrading themselves and looking cheap.

I like this performance by Madonna, I think it's creative at least.

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Dear Gypsy,
Responses below in context.

A'isha,

I suspected either Oman or United Arab Emirates, but after seeing a man walking by wearing a dishdasha and ghotra, I weed out Oman. This is most probably somewhere in the United Arab Emirates, in one of the more rural village areas. There is no such thing as liberal countries in the gulf, in the end they are all bedouins and their lifestyles are similar. But the laws vary from country to country, with Saudi Arabia being the strictest.

A'isha writes- Well... Dubai is more liberal than Abu Dhabi, which is more liberal than Qatar or Saudi Arabia, Kuwait is in a class of "liberal" by itself!! Dubai is the Gulf playground and it is just as possible that this happened there. Dubia is a very different country from Qatar, and that is waht I meant by liberal. The Saudis, fir example, say that Dubai is more liberal than Saudi and that is why they go there to party.

My sister went to a wedding where there was m3alaya dancing, I wasn't born then. She told me during that time only the black khaleegis danced the m3alaya, not the Arabs....they covered their faces and danced with their butts, but it wasn't raunchy to this extent. She says only the extremely low class weddings do this, which explains why I've never seen this dancing before. I've only been to the type of khaleegi weddings where the bride's jewelry alone is worth a million dollars. The guests arrive, walk around in their designer dresses and stare at each other, no one dances... and if they do, is way different that this. Cameras are strictly not allowed. All weddings have police officers standing outside and they search your purse to make sure you don't have a camera. If you have a cameraphone on you, they'll hold on to it and give you a ticket. This is how most middle and upper class weddings run. If you notice in this video the women are sitting on the floor! This shows this is a very low class wedding party, that is most probably taking place in either Om El Guween or Ras El Khaimah. A friend of mine told me the m3alaya is mostly found there.

A'isha writes- An addendum to the wedding thing. Since even men have been known to try to sneak into weddings, those who are covered are sometimes asked to show their faces at the door if no one recognizes them from the way they walk or from their hands or some other clue. Weddings are very closely guarded affairs and this is just a security measure. There is a name for these wedding crashers, but I forget what it is.
And, those women sitting in the background all covered up could have been musicians and singers, if there was a portion of this party that would have traditional music and singing and dancing. they may or may not have been guests.

I don't see anything "liberal" about this dancing. I think a better way to describe it would be, uneducated. These are mostly people with very little education, it is no different than what goes on in some of the weddings in Egypt's poor neighbourhoods. I'm sure you've seen the prostitutes dancing on stage with Saad El Soghayer. It is different country, same concept. I also find this no different than belly dancing on youtube, where I've read comments about Suheir Zaki saying "this dancer is fat and slow... watch (insert name of tackiest belly dancer on you tube here), she is much better". When my mom and I were passing by a gallery of a talented painter a few month back, she said his paintings are something a 5 year old can do! My point is, it is difficult to appreciate something that you have very little knowledge about. I doubt if these people, whether it's those watching or the girls that are dancing, are educated enough or have any kind of knowledge about art.

A'isha writes- Believe me when I tell you that you can see this kind of behavior among the more educated women of the Gulf countries as well. The only difference is they do not do it in front of men.... or I should probably say in front of the camera. The women in the clip were more than likely hired sharmutas that would be doing more later. I am not even sure this was a wedding. And note that the girls were NOT black, but clearly Arab. I find that Arab women are just like other women. Sometimes they can be quite naughty. They just have to do it more on the sly and sometimes the very rich can get away with whatever they want, and do. Other times they are simply lovely women who live in a way that makes them a credit to their families. They are just like women everywhere.
There is a higher price to pay for breaking the rules in some cultures than others. In those cultures, it is not that people are any better behaved. It is just because the price of breaking the rules is so high that people learn to look away for the survival of all concerned.
BTW, I know some very educated Bedouin from the Emirates and other locations. The Al-Ameri family is one example. The men in that family just hitting their thirties are the first generation of their Bedouin family to not live in the desert. They have come to the States and Europe to be educated in droves, From most of the El-Ameri that I have known, they would be pretty offended by this dancing. They take their religion very seriously. I could say the same thing about several other families that educate their kids in the states. The Al-Khaldi of Saudi Arabia are the same, and I can name several other large families of Bedouin that are very well educated, including the Al-Anizi from Kuwait, whose name alone lets you know they are hard-core Bedouin stock!!
Regards,
A'isha

gypsy8522

Dear Gypsy,
Responses below in context.

A'isha writes- I am not even sure this was a wedding.

What is it then, a sharmoota party? This is most likely a wedding celebration.

Dubai is the Gulf playground and it is just as possible that this happened there.

Um... no, even if Dubai is the gulf playground, it doesn't mean it happened there. This can't be Dubai because the people of Dubai are mostly rich or well off. These people in the video are very poor. This is most probably either in Ras El Khaimah or Om El Quween, and these are like villages, not exactly "liberal" cities.

And note that the girls were NOT black, but clearly Arab.

Yes, I can see that. Which is why I said it was done IN THE PAST by black khaleegis. These girls are most likely victims of the war in Iraq, so they resort to these kind of things to feed themselves.

Believe me when I tell you that you can see this kind of behavior among the more educated women of the Gulf countries as well. The only difference is they do not do it in front of men.... or I should probably say in front of the camera.

They will do this when they are having a private get together, not in a public wedding when there are a thousand guests in the room.

The Al-Ameri family is one example. The men in that family just hitting their thirties are the first generation of their Bedouin family to not live in the desert. They have come to the States and Europe to be educated in droves

I know the El Ameri familly! A lot of people have stopped going to the United States for higher education, especially the Emiratis, since they now have tons of highly accredited institutions in their county (and for several other reasons). For this reason, many of the American institutions (e.g George Mason University and Harvard) are going to them and establishing campuses there, since Arab students are their cash cow and money isn't rolling in like it used to.

From most of the El-Ameri that I have known, they would be pretty offended by this dancing.

Let me tell you, the majority of Emiratis would be very offended by this.

The Al-Khaldi of Saudi Arabia are the same, and I can name several other large families of Bedouin that are very well educated, including the Al-Anizi from Kuwait, whose name alone lets you know they are hard-core Bedouin stock

The Saudis and Emiratis are two different people. The people of UAE are known for their decency and manners, plus they are doing great things with their country. As for Saudi Arabia, well... I'm sure you know what kind of reputation they have in the Middle East! I would say with the exception of their women, I think overall they are better than the men. Many Saudi Arabian women are getting an education and are trying to make a change, but it is much harder for them because in the end they are women living in Saudi Arabia.

Last edited: