Can it be more of a "sleezy fantasy"???

Maria_Aya

Hi there
Found this videoclip in youtube. It is named as Bollywood, but..
it shows the most sleezy fantasy that 95% of the men have when they think bellydance!! :mad:
A man on pillows, smoking nargile and women around him dancing (and around the fire grrr). At the end they scream also:Shakiraaaaaaa Shakiraaaaaa lol

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrv3IOtIjCc

Maria Aya:mad:

Amulya

Don't take that too seriously, that is a stupid Bollywoods idea of belly dancers. I just wonder why they didn't hire real belly dancers, they could have made it a good clip :mad:

Recnadocir

Don't know what is nargile, but in my country women only scream when men fight with knifes. But if men fight over the woman, maybe she like it and not scream so loud.

Zahiraah

Oh dear god, that isn't bellydancing for sure. I would guess that she just learned some basics by a real dancer to put in the video mixed with something..I don't know what to call it. This is just crappy and tasteless.

Lydia

This is so sad,bad,ugly,poor,stuppid......o sorry i suppose not to use that kind of language in publick....so sorry happy dancing ,lydia

Aaeesha

I've seen the sterotype played out in every possible medium so it's no surprise that hindi films would pick it up also. This is a Bollywood film and her movements were very much based in classical and folk dances of india. Yes, she is dressed like a bellydancer, and yes she attempts some moves, but this is very much a bollywood dance performance. Does it exemplify exactly what we work hard to erase? Yes. Take it in stride. We've all seen this kind of thing before and we all know it's not the last.

Marisha25

I once saw a Russian movie version of a children's fairytale where the action takes place in the "Middle East" but they had everything confused. In the opening they sang about Persia and they had "harem girls" dancing in the bazaar with scarves. The dancers had some ballet training but no ME dance training whatsoever. They looked so ridiculous and funny. Most of their moves consisted of wiggling and waving scarves around...at least they weren't too sleazy...

Recnadocir

I like, in Bollywood flics, how they always burst into song, incongruous to what is happening at the instant in the plot. I think maybe it is their take on Hollywood.

Reminds me of when my sheep just start to run for no obvious reason. Maybe I stretch point too much?:eek:

da Sage

I like, in Bollywood flics, how they always burst into song, incongruous to what is happening at the instant in the plot. I think maybe it is their take on Hollywood.

Reminds me of when my sheep just start to run for no obvious reason. Maybe I stretch point too much?:eek:

Yes, the silly breaking into song at random times is my favorite part of Bollywood. Also they dance while they sing, that makes it even funnier. But pure Bollywood dance style usually looks better than the dancing in this clip.

Now I am thinking of sheep suddenly singing and bellydancing in the fields...:D

gwinity

You know, the thing that bugged me most about this filmclip was the appalling editing. ;) Closely followed by the "Ew, sleaze" factor.

Was this a video clip to a song, or was it actually part of a film? It looked like it was just a song filmclip, on a par with those booty-and-body hip-hop videos.

Shanazel

Well, that was certainly vapid. I lasted about one minute before I'd seen enough.

Recnadocir, you can never overdo the sheep metaphors. Those of us in sheep country appreciate them. The friend of a friend from Australia visited here a few years ago. At one point, she referred to herself as looking "rather daggy." I asked what that meant. She said, Have you ever noticed those tags of wool, twigs, and other icky stuff that hangs from off the back legs of an unsheared sheep? Yes, I have. Well, said she, those are dags.

I'd say that video rates about a 10 on the daggy-meter.

Alaya

You know, the thing that bugged me most about this filmclip was the appalling editing. ;) Closely followed by the "Ew, sleaze" factor.

Was this a video clip to a song, or was it actually part of a film? It looked like it was just a song filmclip, on a par with those booty-and-body hip-hop videos.

Hi Gwinity. I think it was part of a film. The bollywood films have usualy 8 songs it it with dancing, bollywood actors don't sing, they just move there lips. The other films are better then that. like "devdas" "sometimes happynes, sometimes sarow" or "come... fell in love".

Hadassah

He he. Ya know, if we could have seen the dancers for more than two seconds at a time, it would have helped! The editing sucked! I think maybe they've had a few lessons, cause one of the girls did an ok 3/4, and could undulate, but other than that -pure gratuitous drivel.

It really killed me when the one chick knelt down, and said "I love you" to Mr. Cool. Such a stripper-esque scene.

Gosh, does John Q. Public think we just whore ourselves around, or what? I guess Bombay is perpetuating the myth...

gwinity

Alaya, I wondered if it was just a filmclip because it looks too self-contained to be a part of a Big Bollywood Blockbuster. (Of course, I've only seen Devdas, so really can't judge properly). It didn't look like it flowed on from or to other parts of a movie.
It really killed me when the one chick knelt down, and said "I love you" to Mr. Cool.
You mean you didn't have the urge to do that, too, Hadassah? ;) What sort of dancers are we? :p

*flees the wrath*

In all seriousness, the clip would be just as vile if the girls were wearing bikinis or other costume instead of bedlah. At least one of them sort of looked like knew what she was doing and not just shaking her bits at the camera (or Mr Cool)...

Aaeesha

The overwhelming majority of Bollywood films are very low budget and this one is no exception. Even Devdas had a low budget by Hollywood standards, costing a mere $10million to create, but reigns as the most expensive Bollywood movie made to date. It would be unfair to this movie to compare it to Devdas, especially when the comparison is being made on the dancing. Devdas had Aishwarya Rai and queen Madhuri Dixit. Unfair comparison indeed.