Contests

Amulya

An old topic, but always interesting:) .

What do you think of contests? Do you think it is something good in belly dance or do you think it's bad?

I personally think there is no space for such things in this type of dance. Too hard to judge in my opinion. You would get too many categories and you would need so many dancers of each category to make it interesting, it is hardly possible.

I know of a dancing school that uses competitions to measure if students are ready to go up to the next level. Well that goes really to far.

Mouse

Part of what I love about BD is that its a personal journey. To me its about what I can do not what anyone else can do. No exams, no tests, you just progress at your own pace and develop in your own way. I guess if people are competative enough to want to put themselves up against each other and see "who is the best" then thats ok, but its definitely not for me. The idea of having exams or tests in order to progress to the next level etc I don't like at all though. That is very rigid thinking and to me at least I feel it would be trying to stuff BD into the jazz/tap moulds where exams, certificates and medals are all the norm.

Moon

I see bellydance as an art form, not as some kind of competitive sport, so no, I don't like bellydance competitions and I would never join in one.
However some other dance styles like ballroom dance do have competitions and I don't really have a problem with that. But somehow I feel it's just not very suitable for bellydance. There are so many different styles, I think Amulya is right in saying it is too hard to judge.

Amulya said:
I know of a dancing school that uses competitions to measure if students are ready to go up to the next level. Well that goes really to far.
I agree! So how do they work? The students that end last are not ready for next level? How stupid. A teacher should know if a student is ready for the next level just by observing her/him during the lessons.
I like the feeling of friendship and solidarity which often comes with being in a bellydance class and dance together with the other students. I think there is a big risk of spoiling that if you judge students in a bellydance competition. But well, I'm not a competitive person by nature.

Amulya

I agree! So how do they work? The students that end last are not ready for next level? How stupid.

If you don't pass you just don't go to the next level. Just imagine: the shy students (or the ones that can't handle stress) will get stuck in beginners forever...

Moon

That would be a real nightmare and spoils the dance. I like it that bellydance makes everyone in my group more confident. Contests won't help.

Mariah

Contests in a school setting are wrong. I do believe in competing in reputable Belly Dance competitions having judges with their own knowledge and experience about the dance as an art form deciding the winners. There are dancers out there with a competitive nature who want recognition. It's hard to make a name for yourself if you're not the owner of a BD school or out on tour teaching seminars or a member of a famous dance company, etc. Competing is a great way to get your name out there on the circuit and to be seen and judged by people who love the dance. Sure it's subjective, but what art form isn't? Besides professionally bellydancing for 15 years now, I'm also a Fine Artist (painter). I enter my artwork in juried competitions all the time. Sometimes my work is accepted. Other times it is not. I know that still I've created "Fine Art" even if not a winner in that particular show.
If you have the drive to succeed on a national level, you'll do anything it takes. That's what being competitive means to me.

Hi Everyone, Contests are so ingrained in our way of thinking that it's no wonder that we have so many bellydance competitions. I have read the rules for a number of competitions, and for the most part they are spelled out clearly and objectively. Here in the U.S.,if a dancer wins a contest let's say BD of the Universe, she would probably end up with a video contract with IAMED!
I guess I'm a fence sitter on this one. Competitions are not good for non-competitive people and bellydance is a safe haven for people who have shunned contests one way or another. On the other hand, if a dancer has ambition and is confident to compare skills with other dancers then they should enter contest with positive, giving spirit. It's also a great marketing tool for any dancer who wants to hit the big time.On an interesting note Bozenka won some title in Egypt this year, in which Dina was quoted as saying (and I'm paraphrasing here)"that Egyptian women don't enter the contest because they would win". how's that for objectivity.
Yasmine

Safran

But well, I'm not a competitive person by nature.

Neither am I, so I am already impartial to competitions already. I mean, all sorts of performances bring you enough fuss and stress, why make it even better by forcing yourself to compete. I find the idea of competition between dance students unacceptable, especially when your progression to the next level depends on the result.
I am also a bit of afraid that competitions can create bad blood - when you compete with someone, you'll start comparing yourself to them. And in order to increase your confidence, you'll often come up with bad critique and imaginary flaws of others...

Maria_Aya

Hi babes :)
Dont like contests of any kind, but we cant change the world, they exist.
But its so difficult to be fair, and special for oriental dance, how can we measure the grace? the soul? etc

maria aya

Shanazel

I'm perched on the fence with Yasmine. I am not a competitive dancer, but have no objection to someone else entering a well run contest with knowledgeable judges. Like Mariah, I enter artwork in juried shows, so it is not that I am completely uncompetitive, I just don't want to turn dance into a competitive event for myself.

samira shuruk

There are people who have benefitted greatly both professionally and personally from entering contests.
While it's not for me, I wouldn't begrudge them for doing something that they feeel helps their growth or enriches their dancing experience.
I DO know someone who went to one that she felt was rigged. Very obviously rigged.
Most contests have really well spelled out rules for judging, that in the hands of the right judges can be objective, yet open to different styles.
I know a couple schools that have tests in order to get up to the next level. I hadn't heard of one with a competition to get into the next level. That concept is new to me.
I think it IS important to have a certain level of technique, understanding and knowledge before moving up to another level- so whether or not formal testing is utilyzed, a responsible instructor (I think) will make sure the students in any given class are ready to take on that level's curriculum. For example, a fairly new student still struggling with a basic hip drop and working on posture may not benefit the most from taking a class with lots of layering with travelling steps and expressing with a focus on belady (in the Egyptian show sense of the word). That student would possibly be lost, would possibly not get corrections on the basics they still are working on, or if they DID, it would take away from the students who are ready for that class as it would be changing the focus.

Aniseteph

Tests - :eek: - who needs more tests in their life?
We'll end up having to wear different coloured hipscarves to show what level we've reached like karate...
I agree with previous posts - a teacher ought to know where you're at and whether it's time to try the next level by watching you in class.

Amulya

I think it IS important to have a certain level of technique, understanding and knowledge before moving up to another level- so whether or not formal testing is utilyzed, a responsible instructor (I think) will make sure the students in any given class are ready to take on that level's curriculum.

Certainly important. But I think it can be done in a different manner. I just look at students in class and see if they are ready to go to the next level. Then I can tell them. No tests needed for that.

Zumarrad

Certainly important. But I think it can be done in a different manner. I just look at students in class and see if they are ready to go to the next level. Then I can tell them. No tests needed for that.

Our school has evaluations. They're not a "contest", they're a private lesson where we look at how the dancer is doing on certain core skills that are necessary to be comfortable starting the higher level. They were brought in when our school got big. Personally I think the evaluation/assessment system is really good. Nobody is obliged to do one - they can stay in the same level for their whole life if they prefer. These days, we also try and evaluate students that we don't teach regularly - a fresh eye can pick up both positive and negative traits.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

A little west of the cornfields, we used to have the MEDINA workshop & competition in St. Louis. As a student and an audience member, I can tell you this was an amazing experience. The last year of MEDINA, there was an entrant from Hungary! And we got to see some of the best performers from all around the US. Heck, just being in CLASS with some of the contestants was an educational experience, as you got to see what the movements looked like on their bodies, and how they interpreted the movements.

Lissa

I, personally, am not competitive. I dance for MY ability and enjoyment and if I'm better than someone else --- or most often not --- that's okay with me. I do think small "tests" would be nice at the school where I am, not necessarily to move ahead but more just to see where I am. I often wonder how I'm doing -- haha. Short of annoying my teachers and the owner -- "how am I doing?" "does this look right?" -- I really have no way to tell!

Yshka

I hate the idea of competitions or so to go on to another level, I agree with Amulya and the others that as a teacher, one should see by the way the students dance in class and the way they improve and develop as dancers, wether this person is ready to go to the next level or not. I hadn't heard of this competing thing for deciding if a student can go to the next level either, just heard of tests, which IMO, if it's small 'evaluational' tests (like Zumarrad describes) to see where someone is at, are ok.

Dance competitions are not really my cup of tea. I'm not competitive, especially not in dance.
MED is hard to judge, I agree with Maria that it's not easy to judge Oriental dance for it has so many varieties, and everyone has their own style and grace..
Though if it's a well run, well prepared and well judged competition with clear rules, I wouldn't mind anyone entering if they really want to, just wouldn't do it myself.
Contests on a professional level with anyone willing to measure their skills to one another are fine, but no competitions between students!! Theres a lot of (negative) competition in the dance community already, if students were to measure their skills against other students this would sure lead to more negative criticism about other students, who might grow up to be very competitive dancers in the future..

Lydia

cotests

I agree with most above ...contests no need,all students usely do there best,some try realy hard and it still dont look like some others that put less effort every induvidual has her ,his own way and is liked or appreciated in that way ,what is nice or good in my eyes is perhaps not nice in your eyes,so its difficult ....and competition i think makes the classroom a bit yakky??? all the girls in my class are nice and happy with eachother....its a great hour to meet and dance together they say...many make friends and socialize out of the school aswell and i love to keep it this way,it makes a great atmosphere...no need for competition lets have a good time! happy dancing Lydia