Not open for further replies.

Sokev

GYPSY CARAVAN- Tribal Technique vol 1 -vol 6

Does anyone has these DVD's?
And what do think about them?
Are they good?

:cool:

Amulya

I had them but sold them. I think if you are looking for old style tribal, they are good, but there is one major thing missing and this is a big flaw: the cues and transitions. Also the FC ones don't have many cues in there. So if you want to use these videos to dance with a troupe you'd have to make up your own.
I personally think it is a commercial trick that they didn't put it in there, because even if you have all the DVDs, you still would have to study with them (or make your own, but not everyone is good at that)

da Sage

I had them but sold them. I think if you are looking for old style tribal, they are good, but there is one major thing missing and this is a big flaw: the cues and transitions. Also the FC ones don't have many cues in there. So if you want to use these videos to dance with a troupe you'd have to make up your own.
I personally think it is a commercial trick that they didn't put it in there, because even if you have all the DVDs, you still would have to study with them (or make your own, but not everyone is good at that)

Yes, what is up with that? Isn't the cuing/following the whole point of ATS style? So what do they put in the videos, if it isn't the cues?:confused:

Because of hearing this online (about no cues), I have not bought any ATS tapes. What would be the point?:(

Seriously, what are the benefits of these cue-less tapes? Can anyone enlighten me?

Are there any tribal tapes out there that do include a basic vocabulary of cues?

TribalDancer

LOLROFL! A MARKETING PLOY?!

That is just silly.

So let me tell you WHY there are no cues on the video. Because there are no fancy tricks to cueing! If you learn the moves, you know the cues. Why? Because moving from one move into the next IS the cue.

Here is a super seeekrit non-sekrit revealed:

Let's take two moves: Ghawazee and Hip Bump.

Ghawazee is body facing forward, hips are a side-to-side pendulum-like swing, and arms are out to the side in standard posture.

Hip Bump the body is on a 3/4 angle, arms are in an L position, the hip bumps upward on each beat.

So to "cue" going from Ghawazee to Hip Bump, on the (7)and-8-and of the beat, I start to move my body from front-facing to 3/4 angle, and start to raise my left arm up to move into an L-position. On the 1, I start bumpin' that hip.

The "cues" are built into your moves, simply by using the intention of moving into the move as your communication tool.

So there is no trick. No trying to cheat you out of information so they can take money from you later at a workshop. They gave you everything you need.

If I may add one more thought: I always thought it was great that they didn't teach specific cues because frankly, you and your tribe will discover your own way to cue. You learn subtle ways to move and communicate with one another, you create your own vocabulary, and your own "slang" and "accent" . It isn't something you can hand someone wholesale, as much as you may wish a video could.

I love the GC videos--I think the video, sound, and format is superior to any other I have owned (and I own nearly all of them out there ever made). The reason why they are my absolute favorite is in the 2-6 videos, they actually let you "dance with them"!! They teach you the move, drill you on the move, then turn their back to you so you are seeing them just as you would if you were dancing with them in person, and you get to follow along. You get to learn how it really works through practicing with them together.

Anyway, I highly recommend them.

miss_shimmy

i like

fat chancer bellydance and rachel brice are the only 2 I use,and I am more than happy with both.
good luck on your hunt,I hope you find what you need xx:)

Tanjora

I agree with Tribal Dancer, the cues just happen. It's the same thing like when you are walking towards someone on the sidewalk and you indicate with your body language which side of them you will pass on (and that funny little shuffle you end up doing when that "cue" is misread!), or when without speaking you indicate you will open a door for someone, or for them to go first. It happens really naturally.
When my troupe was new we were really hung up on doing the cues "right", and then when we started making up our own combinations had a big AhHa moment when we hit on "logical" cues - they were just what happened naturally with arms and body position.
And sometimes you mess up anyway! And then sometimes the mess up becomes the path to the better cue....

Kiraze

At Kajira Djoumahna´s DVD:s Trbal Style Belly Dance vol1 and 2 (by IAMED) she demonstrates also some basic ideas for cues so these DVD:s can be of some help for understanding how cues work. Of course troupes create their own cues and those can differ a lot from each others... I just wonder if a new dancer who has solid background of ATS is able to follow the cues of some other "tribe" so are they similar enough to be easily understood?

Status
Not open for further replies.