Any interest in a "movie club"?

shiradotnet

There are many, many Egyptian movies which feature dance scenes. In some, the dancer is also the lead actress. In others, the dancers come on-screen just long enough to dance and then disappear.

I thought it might be fun to form a "movie club", similar to a book club, in which we choose an Egyptian movie with English subtitles, give everyone time to acquire it and watch it, and then discuss it. I think this could really help people who are NOT Egyptian (which, of course, represents the majority of us) to gain appreciation and understanding of Egyptian culture at a level deeper than music and dance alone.

So often, the only exposure we dancers have to dancing by Samia Gamal, Tahia Carioca, and others is by watching compilation videos showing us isolated scenes drawn from movies in which they appear. Some of these compilations don't even tell us which movies the scenes are from. Wouldn't it be nice to see the dance scenes in the context of the plot, to understand how the dance factors into the progression of the story? Wouldn't it be helpful to discover (by watching the full-length movie) that the white evening gown worn by Naima Akef in one of her movie clips isn't intended to be a "dance costume", it's intended to just be a dressy outfit for a party she is attending?

We can discuss the historical context of the movie and how the socio-political environment in Egypt at the time influenced the plot. We can talk about cultural elements that can be seen in the movie, such as seeing what a 1950's moulid was like in Tamra Henna. We can talk about the dance scene itself - the costume, the dance technique, the dancer's on-screen persona, etc.

Maybe we could start with Afrita Hanem, which is a movie that stars Samia Gamal and Farid al-Atrache. It's readily available with English subtitles. Netflix has it available, and it costs only $20 on Amazon.com. I love the movie - it's a light-hearted comedy, and so much fun to watch!

Any interest?

karena

Yes yes! Me please!

But I have now recalled my problem that I don't think I can get hold of DVDs with the right region code. I don't understand them but on Amazon it tells me I need a multi region player, which I'm not sure I have, and my computer tells me I have to set it after 5 times.

But I can keep an eye if you pick one I can get here.

kayshier

I would love love love to participate in something like this!
but the aquisition of movies might be a bit of a challenge for me.

gisela

Super Moderator
Yes It's a great idea, but I just ordered some dvd's on amazon and got a severe customs-shock when finding out I have to pay around 60 us dollars for customs for something that originally costs around 60 bucks + 20 bucks shipping. I'm not sure I can even afford collecting them from the post office :(

shiradotnet

Yes yes! Me please!

But I have now recalled my problem that I don't think I can get hold of DVDs with the right region code. I don't understand them but on Amazon it tells me I need a multi region player, which I'm not sure I have, and my computer tells me I have to set it after 5 times.

Hi Karena! I have a solution for you. Afrita Hanem is actually all regions. I know Amazon says it's region 1, but I own a copy of this DVD, and I have a special piece of software that can examine a video and tell me precisely which regions it will work in. Afrita Hanem is coded for all regions.

There's a UK vendor that sells it for a good price. See FineArt Film!, Arabic DVD

karena

Thanks Shira! I really appreciate you finding that for me. I'm in!:D

Kayshier - you might be able to use the same site! It looks like it is same postage to rest of world as to UK. Although I have no idea about exchange rates etc, so maybe there is more to it than that...

The only problem now is that I have spotted that postage is the same up to 4 dvds. Now I am getting tempted....
Can anyone tell me the name of the Dina/Saad film, out recently, where Dina got in trouble at the premier or something...

Kharmine

It's a great idea, Shira!

Those of us with dvds we own could try lending them to others for whom renting is impossible, a hassle or too expensive.

IF they're not too precious to us, have to say -- the mail delivery systems aren't always safe, and I think it's been said on another thread that dvds with covers of pretty girls or action heroes tend to disappear en route in some places...

PriscillaAdum

I love this idea! I already have Afrita Hanem, and several other classics both on DVD and on VHS tape. Offhand I remember that I also bought "Don't Tell Anyone" and "I Love You"..and a couple of others that I haven't even watched yet.

Gisela, thats alot of money for those DVD's. I bought some from Rashid Sales for under 20 dollars, and the VHS tapes were like 10 dollars each also at Rashid. I bought Afrita Hanem on Ebay for like 12 or 15 dollars, brand new.

Regards
Priscilla

gisela

Super Moderator
Yes in the end it was loads of money, although 4 BD instruction dvd's for 60 bucks is ok. I was so shocked about all the extra costs.

Will check that FineArt- site out, thank's

shiradotnet

The only problem now is that I have spotted that postage is the same up to 4 dvds. Now I am getting tempted....
Can anyone tell me the name of the Dina/Saad film, out recently, where Dina got in trouble at the premier or something...

I don't know the name of the Dina/Saad film, but one thing I've noticed on fineartfilm is that the newer movies often don't have English subtitles. So if you want to buy a more recent movie, read the description carefully to ensure it does have subtitles.

If you're looking for additional suggestions of movies to buy to fill up your order of 4 DVD's, here are some that I was thinking of proposing for future discussion. All of these should be available from fineartfilm. And whether we discuss them "officially" here on the forum or not, they're ones I think dancers should see.

• Shore of Love. Although it stars Leyla Murad (a singer with a lovely voice), Tahia Carioca is in a supporting actress role, including some good dance scenes.
  • My Father Is On a Tree. Stars Abdel Halim Hafez in his final, and most popular, movie. The "dancer" is Nadia Lotfi, an actress who never worked as a professional dancer. Her dancing is ok, but not legendary. But the reason I recommend it is the way it portrays dancers and their lifestyle.
  • Inspector General. Has a couple of dance scenes with Tahia Carioca. Based on a Russian play, but modified to suit Egyptian culture.
  • The Belly Dancer and the Politician. Another movie that stars an actress in the role of the dancer. So again the dancing is ok, but not legendary, but the real reason to see this movie is the plot.

For those of you not in the UK, I might point out that I'm in the U.S. but often order from them. I like how easy it is to search that web site for movies that I might want, and I like the fact that they take paypal.

However, there are other sources for Egyptian movies as well. I've already mentioned that some (including Afrita Hanem) can be found on Amazon. Here are others I have personally purchased from:

• Arabic DVD
  • enter.html (if you don't want to dig through the site, just phone them and ask if they can get it)

For those of you who are more comfortable with French than English, many of the movies I've recommended above come with both English and French subtitles.

shiradotnet

Okay, it sounds like we have a few people interested. So here's how I propose we move forward:

• Those who want to participate, go ahead and buy Afrita Hanem from whichever vendor you like. Or, try to get it from NetFlix.
  • I will start a new thread in a few days specifically for Afrita Hanem. When you get your copy, please jump into the thread. It's okay if it has become an "old" thread by then. I realize some people will need extra time to get their copies.
  • I'll post some discussion questions on the new thread to provoke some discussion.

Any suggestions for changes to the above plan?

Marya

Okay, it sounds like we have a few people interested. So here's how I propose we move forward:

• Those who want to participate, go ahead and buy Afrita Hanem from whichever vendor you like. Or, try to get it from NetFlix.
  • I will start a new thread in a few days specifically for Afrita Hanem. When you get your copy, please jump into the thread. It's okay if it has become an "old" thread by then. I realize some people will need extra time to get their copies.
  • I'll post some discussion questions on the new thread to provoke some discussion.

Any suggestions for changes to the above plan?

I already own Afrita Hanem so I will join in. I have a few other movies too, but not all of them have subtitles.

I want to get more movies too so suggestions are welcome.

Marya

Kharmine

I already own Afrita Hanem so I will join in. I have a few other movies too, but not all of them have subtitles.

Marya

Got "Tamr Henna" (Henna Flower), 1957 with Naima Akef?

Great story of a wealthy young man trying to pass off a Ghawazee dancer as a society girl. Wonderful dance scenes with excellent music. You can find some of 'em on YouTube.

PriscillaAdum

I recommend "Don't Tell Anyone" which stars Samia Gamal, Farid El Atrache and Lebanese singer Nour al Hoda. It's also directed by Henri Barakat, the same man who directed Afrita Hanem
It's a romantic comedy and it's a crack up, the plot is great. There's some really good dance scenes it in as well.

Regards
Priscilla

Marya

Freddie

I'd like to join in if I can get my hands on the movie, but if not, can I jump in on a later movie? Sounds like a great idea and if I'm in luck I'll enjoy them as much as I enjoy the old Fred Astaire movies etc.

Was there an Egyptian or other ME version of anything like the Marx Brothers? Who were the comedy heroes/heroines of the time?

Last edited:

Marya

Got "Tamr Henna" (Henna Flower), 1957 with Naima Akef?

Great story of a wealthy young man trying to pass off a Ghawazee dancer as a society girl. Wonderful dance scenes with excellent music. You can find some of 'em on YouTube.

I have Tamra Henna but unfortunately no subtitles. I also have Lahalibo.

I also used to have a French version of Ali Baba and the 40 theives with Samia Gamal, but I think i gave it away.

Marya

Marya

I'd like to join in if I can get my hands on the movie, but if not, can I jump n on a later movie? Sounds like a great idea and if I'm in luck I'll enjoy them as much as I enjoy the old Fred Astair movies etc.

Was there an Egyptian or other ME version of anything like the Marx Brothers? Who were the comedy heroes/heroines of the time?

A lot of the old movies had this one character actor who provided some kind of comedy relief, I don't know his name but he was always the sidekick and never got the girl, he was short and was never as handsome as the leading star, but I think he was in more movies than any one else. He is in Afrita Hanim.

Marya

Freddie

A lot of the old movies had this one character actor who provided some kind of comedy relief, I don't know his name but he was always the sidekick and never got the girl, he was short and was never as handsome as the leading star, but I think he was in more movies than any one else. He is in Afrita Hanim.

Marya

Cool, I'll look out for him :)

PriscillaAdum

Ismael Yaseen.

Marya