Dieting anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon

This thread was originally created by Maria Aya. The original first post of this thread can be seen below this one. I'm writing this because something went wrong and my reply ended up as the first post of this thread.

Last edited:

Maria_Aya

Hi there!!!
I hate when I have to diet :mad:
I'm a junkfood addict and healthy foods make me down lol
Any support from anyone?

Maria Aya

zahra

Hi there!!!
I hate when I have to diet :mad:
I'm a junkfood addict and healthy foods make me down lol
Any support from anyone?

Maria Aya

Love junk food! And hot fudge sundaes!:D

But currently being good and following the Mediterranean diet
and South Beach diet. It is a real struggle in the summer to
be consistant with a diet, but really want to get in shape.

Maria,

Do you know how many shimmies/second and for how long I need to
do them to erase that sundae?:D

Moon

Hi Maria Aya,

Maybe you don't want to hear my support because I don't know how it's like to be on a diet (although I love chocolate, chips and coockies. I'm sorry, but believe me I'm not this fortunate with all aspects of life). But maybe I can try to convince you that healthy food can make you happy (although I don't know what kind of diet you're on right now, but at least I can try ;))!
I talked about banana milkshakes in the other forum, but I don't know if you've read that. I had the most wonderful milkshakes ever in Crete. I don't know if they make them as good in the mainland of Greece, but if they do you should really try one :)
Also just eat plenty of fruits. Especially strawberries, cherries etc. They are so nice and sweet! And plenty of salads ofcourse. With a (low fat) salad dressing it can taste very well. Don't forget to add cucumber, they have so called "negative energy".
When you really don't like any healthy stuff, just eat it when you're busy doing something else. For example, I can see you're very busy right now bringing the forum back to its old glory ;). When typing posts, just lay down a pile of carrots next to you and start eating. Before you know it, they are all gone!
I don't know if my advice will have any use, but anyway I wish you lots of success!

Moon

zahra said:
It is a real struggle in the summer to
be consistant with a diet,

really? I should think the winter is harder, cause then you have things like christmas dinners, christmas candy, lot's of hot chocolate and eating out of boredom (cause winter really depresses me), and people driving around in cars because they don't want to get wet/cold.
In summer it's more easy to drink a lot of water and to eat fruits instead of candy (so much more fruits to choose during summer!)

Moon

oh my god I feel really sorry, just realising I was eating pringles all the time when I was replying Maria Aya...

zahra

really? I should think the winter is harder, cause then you have things like christmas dinners, christmas candy, lot's of hot chocolate and eating out of boredom (cause winter really depresses me), and people driving around in cars because they don't want to get wet/cold.
In summer it's more easy to drink a lot of water and to eat fruits instead of candy (so much more fruits to choose during summer!)

LOL! Hi Moon,
We are in New England-our summer has been torrential downpours,
thunderstorms and fog :eek: So its depressing too, stuck in the house.
I've tried to offset the depressed mood with more dance :)
Winter will come around soon enough:mad:

The farmers here have had a terrible summer-most farm stands
are closed:mad:

Hopefully the sun will shine soon!

Amulya

Any support from anyone?

Of course, what about hearing success stories:) ? I just lost quite some weight a few months ago and it is still not back on (normally it is back in 2 weeks time...)! I even gained weight (yep sounds strange: it was even 5 kilo) afterwards but didn't get any bigger in dress size, my GP says it is muscle tissue that I gained by dancing more. Good news is: the more muscle tissue you get the more you can eat :p , because muscles burn more calories.

How I lost weight? Stuffing myself with fruit shakes (home made and without milk or yoghurt) all day, so I was never hungry. I also ate lots of soups and salads. Of course I made really nice soups and salads ;)

Good luck!

Moon

zahra said:
We are in New England-our summer has been torrential downpours, thunderstorms and fog So its depressing too, stuck in the house.

oops! Totally forgot that not all summers are like Europian summers :wall:

Amulya, what's a GP?

starbirdfashion

Hi I hate following a diet but after a few very stressfull years and
gaing far to much weight I started belly dancing in may 2005.
Having lots of fun got me back on my feet and gave me the motivation
to stop eating to much. I lost 15 kilo's and they did not came back.
Lost of water, fruit, extra minutes on the cross trainer. Lots of practising at home.
I love to cook and bake pastry this doe not help :)

After my holiday to Egypt I will start again and try to lose some more
I will never be a slim person but I am happy and can very well live with myself.
Because of the stretch marks after two pregnancies and
my figure I am looking for a real nice baladi dress. If I can't find one
I am going to make one myself.
I found a beatifull materiall velvet like in all kind of flame colours.

So keep smiling and lot of succes getting in the shape you have in mind.

Petra

Angela/Kalila

I am trying to diet right now. It is very hard for me as I am going through a stressful time in my life which makes dieting next to impossible. I think I am an emotional eater like many people are. I am looking for other outlets for destressing. In the past when I have lost weight I never used a special plan, just tried to reduce my food intake and exercise more. I have a new gold bra and belt set in my closet which I just purchased. Unfortunately, it is a bit too small. If that is not an incentive for me to lose weight I don't know what would be. Sorry that I can't offer any real dieting tips, just thoughts on the struggle...

Demelza

Sounds like you've all got some good advice going on !! I find that when I do my weekly shop, I make sure that I give myself a boost every now and again (not the choclate bar 'boost'!!) by spending that little bit extra to buy only the best fruit juices, yoghurts, tropical fruits etc...... It so nice when I unload all the bags into the fridge, fruit bowl etc and I enjoy eating/drinking them and trying new things. Make your salads special too by adding olives, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, avacado, beans, a dash of olive oil etc.....I went for years thinking I just 'didn't like' salad because all I remember as a child was boring old lettuce, tomoto and cucumber. Now I make my own I'm a huge salad lover !! I also love cooking so that can sometimes be against me as there's always alot of food around, however I find that making my own vegetable, lentil, and other soups etc is fun, tasty and very very healthy.

D x

Ps. I also recommend having a FULL length mirror !! I went for 2 years with a half length mirror, and got a bit of a shock when I had to buy a new one!!

Demelza

Hey Angela/Kalila, I've been going through a really hard time recently too. It felt like the world was falling in around me in every way. I hope you can be comforted by knowing that when things are so bad, they can only get better and there is always light at the end of every dark tunnel. I know most people stop eating when they are down - unfortunatley I'm completely the opposite and just eat more and more and more !!!! I've just had to make sure that whilst I am going crazy on food, that it's healthy food !! (I know its not easy at first but it gets easier and more exciting). Hope things will be on the up for you very fast. Love Demelza xx

starbirdfashion

Hi Angela/Kalila,

Same problem here stress eating. But a gold set does sounds motivating.
Maybe if you hang it were you can look at it, it gets you smiling.
Hope you will get your peace of mind soon.

Demelza, yes great salads do help a lot. Not just feeling like a rabit but more
like eating
out in a little Italian restaurant. Lots of bubbly mineral water and big slices of watermelon.

I also love shrimp cocktail in a melon. Just take a very little mayonaise and
add yoghurt and ketchup with just a dash of red port.
looks very nice and tastes fantastic.

Greetings Petra

Hope this goas Well, just got the messages I was not logged in, strange?

Demelza

oh and seafood - try to replace red meat with chicken, rabbit or fresh seafood. It doesn't always have to be too expensive but it's nice as a weekly treat !! Try whole silver sea bream stuffed with chillies, garlic tomatoes, corriander and lemon !! Its delicious with pitta bread and couscous. Also king scallops....mmmmmmmmm lightly fried with a little butter, garlic and parsley - goes down well with a glass of white wine and a good salad. Oh dear. . . I love food just so much that I just can't stop talking about it !! and If I'm not carefull I'll be off the diet subject ;)

Azeeza

I'm Always on A Diet

I lose a few pounds and then I get stressed or PMS hits or visitors, it's always some sort of excuse, but I'm always "dieting".

I did sucessfully lose about 25 pounds, but I'd like to lose another 15 to 20 just for myself. I'm a little overweight, just so slightly acording to my BMI, but I'd like to be in the middle range of normal for a change.

The sad conclusion for me is this has to be a lifetime commitment. I'm never ever going to be able to not watch what I eat and how much. Fat genes run in my family unfortunately. And I think no matter how hard I try, I will never be model slim. It's just not in my genetic make up:rolleyes: .

I have a cousin who weighs about 400 pounds. No one in the family is slim. No one.

So, for me, it's always going to be a constant battle. But, thank heaven I have dancing. This way, I have to look at myself in the mirror and when I want to reach for a cookie, all I have to do is practice dancing! But, I do slip too:eek: .

Azeeza

gwinity

I don't believe in dieting. I'm not a slim person, but I believe that restricting food and labelling it "bad" is bad for you psychologically, and I'm sure is one of the reasons why so many women have such warped views of food. In my book, you're allowed to have the occasional cookie, chocolate bar or pizza, as long as it's balanced by fruit and vegetables and moderate exercise a few times a week (and things like fruit and veggies and salads always taste so much better if you grow them yourself!)

Isn't dance the perfect exercise? I've found myself toning up and getting much fitter than I was in the short time I've been learning. I'm never going to be a supermodel build, but I don't want to be! Any kilos I shed will be through hard work and exercise, not denying something I crave, and they'll show themselves by how well things fit, not a number on a scale.

:)

*gets off sanctimonious soapbox now*

Maria_Aya

Dear Moon xoxo (and I hate you for never dieting lol)
You know that I'm from Crete? Chanea!!! so where you had your banana-milkshakes in Crete?
Maria Aya

Status
Not open for further replies.