Gypsy Caravan Stage

Salome

Administrator
This is an annual event I perform at every July. I’m lucky to have become a core dancer at this stage, it’s really a wonderful event. This was my 13th year! Thought I’d share some pictures of… drum roll please… The Gypsy Caravan Stage!

Here is the stage still under construction the day before opening.

This is before the Friday morning show, Sage is putting up some last minute decorations.

Here are Kameal and Bene Sharez creating a beautiful entry way.

Construction crew master, Steven, putting up tables for the audience.

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator

Aziza decorating, me being goofy.

Max, construction crew master in training, screwing the table down.

Jazon nailing stage carpet, for our safety.

Our fabulous musicians, Kris (left) on Zurna, Kevin on drum, Ganapati (right) on Zurna.

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator

We open each set with a group performance, patterned a bit after Jamila Salimpour’s Bal Anot. We circle the stage, form a crescent and each dancer does a brief greeting dance to the audience.

Sage, our MC and dancer.

Claudia, from Portland.

Zoe

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator

Elena Villa, from Eugene.

Aziza, from Montreal.

Ginger, from California.

Salome, from OrientalDancer.net

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator

Bene Sharez, from Eugene.

Yemaya, from Portland.

Kameal (my beloved teacher) Yachats – Gypsy Caravan Matriarch.

Bene Sharez – Gypsy Caravan Matriarch.

Last edited:

Zurah

Thanks Salome! Love the yellow costume. Great pics, I can't get enough of illustrated tales of BD events round the world.

da Sage

Those are some incredible photos! I love the stage and the costumes (yours especially, Salome...*jealous*). Is the stage a re-usable set that breaks down easily for storage? What is the roof made of? It's all so cool!

Salome

Administrator
Hi De Sage,

thanks! I like that costume too and the best part is that it is verrrry comfortable! The stage does break down and get used the next year. Bene Sharez and the construction crew haul it in in huge trucks and the crew puts it up and tears it down after the three day event.

Zahiraah

Lovely pictures, Salome!

Thank you for sharing these with us. I love the stage, very beautiful; was it fun dancing on it?

Salome

Administrator
It's a great stage to dance on, built especially for the dancer. There was a huge turn out, as usual. There were 18 thousand people on Saturday! I don't know the exact figures for Friday and Sunday but similar to Saturday. Ours is one of several stages throughout the event but it's always packed, standing room only.