DULGAR by Omar Faruk Tekbilek

yasmilah

**This is the way Faruk describes the song on his site: **
1 - DULGER: This is a Sufi song in folkloric style from Eastern Anatolia in Turkey. Dulger (the Architect) has created the House of the Universe, a beautiful place with a strong foundation that accommodates many different types of people, setting an example of living harmoniously. "Life is sweeter than honey. But, what a pity! The sad thing about human nature is that some people put salt into honey."

**You can listen to a music clip here: **
http://www.maqam.com/cgi-bin/cdtest.cgi?keywords=NAR11908&Submit.x=5&Submit.y=13

I know that you should not belly dance to religious Sufi music, but is this really a true Sufi song? I'm just curious because it's got such a nice danceable sound...... ;)

Thanks for your help! :)

Last edited:

yasmilah

This song really makes me wonder, though.

Of course I agree 100% that it would not be cool to belly dance to a sacred prayer chant. However, the description of this song is more like a story-- not a prayer.....??? **Please pardon my ignorance of Sufi music- I'm trying to sort it out!** :)

The other weird thing is that it came on a compilatin CD called "The Essential Guide to Arabia: the Legends," where it sits next to Om Kalsoum and Fairuz tracks. The description of "Dulgar" on this CD sleeve is that it is a moody slice of Turkish/Egyptian opulance, which carves a direct route back to [Faruk's] earliest influences.

Yshka

Dear Yasmilah, this is confusing. I didn't know that! I knew Tekbilek also did Sufi music but had no idea "Dulger" was one of them. You'd say being on an album like EG to Arabia it wouldn't be non-danceable, and it does have a nice sound to it..
I have a copy of "Alif" but have never really danced to it outside home-practise though. I would really not like the idea of dancing to religious music... big no-no IMO:confused:

Last edited:

Mihrimah Ghaziya

Strange strange...
I have also find Dulger on a large "essential of..." album
In the description, there was nothing said about Sufi music...

On "fire dance", there is a similar problem : one of the song is actually a muezzin chant... But at least here, what it is is clear

But for Dulger...

nisha

laz?

hi

Is Laz by Omar Faruk Tek very like his stuff? Its the only song I have of his and everyone here seems to be raging about him! I like Laz but its not the BEST song I like. PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Yshka

Laz is wonderful IMO, but Omar Faruk Tekbilek did many styles of music (even a halay song if I remember correctly). Why don't you try Maqam.com and listen to some samples of his albums there? You'll get a good idea of most of his work and you'll be able to see if you like the rest as well.

yasmilah

hi

Is Laz by Omar Faruk Tek very like his stuff? Its the only song I have of his and everyone here seems to be raging about him! I like Laz but its not the BEST song I like. PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Yshka is right that he has MANY diffent styles of songs! Honestly, I'm not crazy about most of it (Laz is one that I don't like so much), but there are a few songs that I just love.

If you listen to clips here of the CD called "Mystical Garden," track #4 is one of my favorites. However, the rest of the songs on that CD sound a little too much like elevator music for my taste, lol!! :p

http://www.maqam.com/cgi-bin/cdtest.cgi?category1=OmarFarukTekbilek

He is so varied from song to song, that sometimes you really wouldn't even recognise that it's the same artist.....

Yshka

Dear Yasmilah, I LOVE Tekbilek and LOVE Mystical Garden. Shashkin remains one of my all-time Tekbilek favourites. Hasret and Egyptian dance are great. I love the entire album, or is it just that I happen to like elevator music? :D

I use his "Beyond the sky" album for warm-up. Kolaymi is awesome:cool:

Last edited:

yasmilah

Dear Yasmilah, I LOVE Tekbilek and LOVE Mystical Garden. Shashkin remains one of my all-time Tekbilek favourites. Hasret and Egyptian dance are great. I love the entire album, or is it just that I happen to like elevator music? :D

I use his "Beyond the sky" album for warm-up. Kolaymi is awesome:cool:

:eek: Oops, sorry Yshka....haha. I guess I don't mean that it *really* sounds like elevator music, but to me, there seems to be quality about the songs that are too soft & soothing to drive me to perform to them (except Shaskin, which is very lively).

Yshka

Lol Yasmilah, that's ok:p , I do know what you mean though. I wouldn't perform to those either, but at least Shashkin and Egyptian dance are pretty nice to dance to. The rest I'd be likely to use for warmup or just listening to when relaxing ;)

Amulya

Well, there are more songs of him that I have a feeling of they might be religious. Just because of some words I hear in them or the sound of it. There is a song that sounds great to dance to (should look up the name) but at the end it sounds way too religious to me. I wonder if you can cut that off and get away with it, but I doubt it.

Yshka

I've had this too with some of his songs, Amulya, I guess if it sounds too religious, we'd better not dance to it. Even with cutting it would still be religious music.
You could try to find out whether it really is religious or not though before dancing.

nisha

thanks all

I think Ive heard of shashkin? is it very fast?is it mainly drumming? Laz is just so.....bla.I cant dance to it! I want fast! Any other good fast/pop songs good for dancing to?

Yshka

Shashkin has a kind of Saidi-like sound to it, drums and mizmar, with a nice tune behind it, it's a wonderful song, maqam.com also has a sample for Shashkin I believe. It's quite different from the rest of the music on that album, but wonderful IMO:) .

steffib

Shashkin is an often-recorded song, sometimes also as "Ya Ain Moulayeten", and it is often played in a modified saidi rhythm - TD DD T (first two accents reversed).

Laz is kinda hard to dance to, since it uses a 7/8 rhythm (fast fast slow). I rather like it, even though it is not very accessible for me as a dancer. AFAIK, Laz is a fairly popular line dance from Armenia.

yasmilah

Thanks for all of your responses about Dulgar, guys! I feel like we are all confused together, lol!!! :cool:

I suppose the best thing to do is to err on the side of caution with this song (as far as not performing to it). I'll still dance at home, though!