Good but Cheap Beauty Solutions?

Phoebedances

So, I needed something to exfoliate my face the other day and realized I didn't have anything, so I tried this. I had some left over Generic Brand Tea Tree Oil Hair Conditioner from Sally's Beauty Supply and I mixed it with some simple white table sugar and used it as a scrub. Rinsed it off, being careful to avoid the eyes of course and my face looked great - baby smooth and soft. The conditioner was invigorating but not drying and the sugar did a great job in removing the dull skin cells!

So, that's my cheap and easy beauty tip for the day and it made me wonder what little tricks everyone else has discovered and could share! :)

da Sage

So, I needed something to exfoliate my face the other day and realized I didn't have anything, so I tried this. I had some left over Generic Brand Tea Tree Oil Hair Conditioner from Sally's Beauty Supply and I mixed it with some simple white table sugar and used it as a scrub. Rinsed it off, being careful to avoid the eyes of course and my face looked great - baby smooth and soft. The conditioner was invigorating but not drying and the sugar did a great job in removing the dull skin cells!

So, that's my cheap and easy beauty tip for the day and it made me wonder what little tricks everyone else has discovered and could share! :)

Barbasol Raspberry Mist shaving cream (not gel) from the Dollar store is cheaper and lasts longer than the gel creams I used to use.

I used to wash my face with Listerine when I was too tired/tipsy to wait for the water to warm up.

Safran

I use coffee powder for body scrub every now and then. I adore the scent of coffee that stays on the skin after that. And honey for face :)

Eve

salt/sugar mixed in oil for face/body scrub.
Ground almonds with a little oil & E.O's make a great light body scrub and great way to scent the body.
Conditioner instead of special shaving foam.
ground aspirin mask for problem skin (also doubles up for ingrown hairs so it's cheaper thn Tend Skin)

I have recipes :)

Phoebedances

Barbasol Raspberry Mist shaving cream (not gel) from the Dollar store is cheaper and lasts longer than the gel creams I used to use.

I used to wash my face with Listerine when I was too tired/tipsy to wait for the water to warm up.

I've used Listerine too as an antiseptic and as an astringent. Works really well.

Phoebedances

I use coffee powder for body scrub every now and then. I adore the scent of coffee that stays on the skin after that. And honey for face :)

Sounds like it would smell and feel great. I love coffee anyway! ;)

Best beauty tips?
Eat healthily
Drink water
Sleep well
Laugh much
Love yourself!

I don't think that any beauty treatment can ever replace the simple value of these things! Very wise advice adeimus :clap::clap:

Shanazel

I live in a horrifically dry climate with tons of wind and the combination is hard on my skin. When my arms and hands begin to look as though they have been prepared by a taxidermist, I get in the shower to soak them, then rub plain old petroleum jelly all over them. Next step involves using some kind of a scrub (salt works fine) to rub the petroleum jelly into my skin and take the dead skin off at the same time. Then I wash off the residue and voila- nice new looking skin. Works on feet and legs, too, but I wouldn't try it on my face.

Phoebedances

I live in a horrifically dry climate with tons of wind and the combination is hard on my skin. When my arms and hands begin to look as though they have been prepared by a taxidermist, I get in the shower to soak them, then rub plain old petroleum jelly all over them. Next step involves using some kind of a scrub (salt works fine) to rub the petroleum jelly into my skin and take the dead skin off at the same time. Then I wash off the residue and voila- nice new looking skin. Works on feet and legs, too, but I wouldn't try it on my face.

I've used petroleum jelly on my lips when they've gotten really chapped, but not on my skin as a whole. I wonder, it might help my legs though, which can get rather dry. This is probably because I have to shave constantly - otherwise I might be used to confirm bigfoot rumors! :lol:

My mom only has to shave her legs every other week and my grandmother never had to shave hers - due to having just enough Native American blood, I guess. But me.. sigh.. it just bypassed me. I have to shave everyday.

Farasha Hanem

Best beauty tips?
Eat healthily
Drink water
Sleep well
Laugh much
Love yourself!

Well said. :clap:

Sometimes I use baking soda mixed with a little water to make a paste; I use it as a scrub for my face, then I use a little hydrogen peroxide as a toner (you just have to be careful not to get your hairline wet with it, or else you'll end up with an unexpected color change at your harline oO ). Milk of Magnesia dabbed on acne with a cotton ball will help get rid of it. :)

Ankebuzz

I've used petroleum jelly and an old toothbrush to exfoliate really chapped lips... just put on the jelly, brush lips and rinse. Finish with a thin layer of your usual lip balm (or the jelly).

Baking soda mixed with water is supposed to clear up blackheads... ooo, don't know about peroxide on my face!!

gisela

Super Moderator
Do you know why it 's suppose to work with toothpaste? I've always wondered.

I have found that toothpastes for healing the gums works really well on acne, however... that's because they contain "triclosan" which is some kind of antibiotic, therefore a substance you should avoid buying and using in everyday products.

adiemus

It's the bleach, as far as I know, so it probably acts as an antibacterial agent - but not one that the beasties can get resistant to.

I forgot to add that another good thing for frizzy hair is a couple of drops of almond oil on your palms and finger-combed through your hair.
And you can do the lemon and sugar facial scrub - nice smell, a bit sticky after a while, but the lemon provides a bit of bleaching and clarifying and the sugar is good for exfoliation.