Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Amulya

The other thread has become too long, so the moderators have decided to start a new one. The old ones will be locked, so you can not post replies, but you can still access the threads.

This thread is for sharing costumes you like, costumes you like to discuss or costumes you wonder of 'what were they thinking'.

Rules for this thread:

• When you post in the TPBDC thread, please do not post pictures with the models' face visible. Please blur/cut off first before posting.
  • Please do not post pictures of students in practise gear.
  • In case you post a picture of a costume you like, it's a different story: no need to alter the picture.

The old TPBDC threads:

Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes Part I - Belly Dance Forums

Thought-provoking belly dance costumes (TPBDC) Part II - Belly Dance Forums

Last edited:

Amulya

I'll start by sharing this beautiful costume, it's one of Sandra's costumes (already sold):

On the note of 'what were they thinking': the top below was advertised on Etsy as 'Professional Bellydance Bra', apparently the seller made it herself. I bought a similar bra at a market in India and it just falls apart by only looking at it :lol: So made by the seller? I doubt it.

LunaXJJ

Still has that new thread smell.

My first contributions to the new thread, some interesting finds from Etsy:

"Tribal Belly Dance Wicked Dreadfalls Custom Colors"

"Tribal Fusion Belly Dance Bra"

"Teal and Purple Halter Belly Dance Bra"

LunaXJJ

On the note of 'what were they thinking': the top below was advertised on Etsy as 'Professional Bellydance Bra', apparently the seller made it herself. I bought a similar bra at a market in India and it just falls apart by only looking at it :lol: So made by the seller? I doubt it.

I report a listing because the bra was one I had seen many other places online. If only Etsy would pay me to sit around all day reporting non-handmade listings. You know those generic hipscarves in various colors, with coins? The ones you can get for a buck on ebay? I've seen those on there too. If I can get one from the mall, its not handmade. Lol.

Also, here's another... thought provoking Etsy item:

"Scarlet's Lounge Tribal Belly Dance Pimpin Black Sequin Fedora Hat- Flowers, Feathers, Beaded Trim, Turkoman Button"

*EDIT*
HAD to add this:

Soooo, was this person just using random tags to get more viewers?

Darshiva

A friend of mine makes button jewellery and that bra (if it had a matching belt) would go spectacularly with them

Amulya

"Tribal Fusion Belly Dance Bra"

I kind of like this thing :shok::confused:, needs some work done on it. The straps are too plain and the color doesn't match, but for tribal fusion this would be ok.

The rest.... ugh. That hat isn't handmade I think. This seller sells beautiful costumes on EBay, but they aren't handmade by her so it's good she doesn't sell them on Etsy.

Someone emailed these to me yesterday:

Aniseteph

About resellers on Etsy - are you by any chance a Person of Regretsy? I get the impression Etsy never do anything about those reports. Everyone is jolly super and lovely in cupcake handcrafted fairyland, and don't you dare say otherwise 'cos that would be "calling out". Bad Etsyer. :naghty:

Anyhoo - going OT. The tribal falls remind me too much of shag carpet but I agree with Amulya about the pale bra - did they tag it tatterpunk? I can see it working for a faded Victorian fairy romanic sort of TF. (My inner "purist" is screaming "but WTH has that got to do with belly dance?" but I am ignoring it :D)

There's something about the concept of the green/gold one that I like. If you gave that picture to the right costume designer it could turn out very nicely indeed. Get the top part of the cups nice and smooth or ruched neatly, replace the fringe with something a bit more opulent, maybe chain/bead swags, add a matching belt and accessories and heavy satin harems... there's a very decadent Orientalist/ Tribaret costume in there trying to get out.

The Hello Kitty necklace doesn't help.

LunaXJJ

Haha, never heard of that site, but I'll definitely check that out.

I agree, the necklace, and appearance gets me in a way. The colors aren't bad, but it just looks.... "mushy" I guess. A little messy.

I would have to see a bottom with the button one, plus some nicer colors. Maybe work with certain color themes, or even mosaic type patterns if you have the supplies for it. This one just seems spotty, and I don't feel anything from it.

I probably sound ridiculous.

indrayu

I would have to see a bottom with the button one, plus some nicer colors. Maybe work with certain color themes, or even mosaic type patterns if you have the supplies for it. This one just seems spotty, and I don't feel anything from it.

I probably sound ridiculous.

Not to me; I agree with you. It could work with a special collection e.g. silk-covered or mother-of-pearl buttons (I've heard of Pearly King/Queens, but never seen them, so not distracted by that thought) The buttons used here just look to be random, mostly plastic ones.

As for the green and gold: At the risk of offending people, it just looks like an unmade bed! Nice teal sheets with an interesting old blanket. The horizontal line across the middle doesn't seem to be flattering either.

PracticalDancer

. . . I've heard of Pearly King/Queens, but never seen them, so not distracted by that thought . . .

I am distracted, easily distracted by that thought! One day, hopefully someday soon, I will turn my collection of vintage mother of pearl buttons into a costume! I will! I promise!!!!

In the meantime, these are NOT billed as bellydance, but I just ordered them and will wear them with an *ahem* special costume for Haflaween tonight. Pictures of the earrings for now; pictures of my own TPBDC for Haflaween soon (this weekend, I hope)!

Amulya

(My inner "purist" is screaming "but WTH has that got to do with belly dance?" but I am ignoring it :D)

What if the Egyptian designers decide it's the next hottest trend :lol:, would it be ok? :D

Anala, I like those earrings! Very beautiful shape!

For the green/gold-ish bra, I agree there is something about the colors. The bottom fabric could work in a Turkish vest I think.

The only people who have created button bras that work are the dancers from The Indigo. I tried to find pictures, but unfortunately I didn't find any.

Last edited:

Azrael

The only people who have created button bras that work are the dancers from The Indigo. I tried to find pictures, but unfortunately I didn't find any.

Here ya go! :) I only know of the one Zoe Jakes made. I don't like things made out of buttons (it usually looks messy and always unfinished) but I love how Zoe made this one!

PracticalDancer

My Halloween Gift to You

OK, I have made my share of comments and jokes in the old TPBDC threads. Read these threads too much, and they get to you . . . in an inspirational sort of way . . .

So, my Halloween gift to the forum is my own creation!

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I introduce the "300 Eyed Chemical Monster Bedlah!"

I made this for a Haflaween performance. It is not for sale . . . yet. But, I wanted to show that we can all have a little fun with this and laugh at ourselves a bit. I actually learned a lot while making this set, so I plan to blog / have a photo commentary album on the PD Facebook page. In the meantime, enjoy! (The spidery, one-eyed thing is a hair accessory.)

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
Are...are those oogley doll eyes :shok:

Anala you are a genius! I just wish the images worked to click on. The function is still wonky.

ETA: HAHAHAHA! I just looked at the old thread you linked to. I was the first one to comment and what did I say...? I called you a genius :lol:

Dejà vu!

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

Yes, they are the wiggly eyes. I didn't get a video of the dance, sadly; but, my husband assures me they moved when I did. One lesson I learned, though, is the big eyes move better for this type of thing . . . like you would want to repeat this with your own costume! :rolleyes::lol:

I need to give you a close up of the liner, since the gallery function isn't working. There was an "inside joke" to the liner ;)

Daimona

Yes, they are the wiggly eyes. I didn't get a video of the dance, sadly; but, my husband assures me they moved when I did. One lesson I learned, though, is the big eyes move better for this type of thing . . . like you would want to repeat this with your own costume! :rolleyes::lol:

I need to give you a close up of the liner, since the gallery function isn't working. There was an "inside joke" to the liner ;)

OMG! HAHAHA! Can't stop laughing now (I'm even laughing too much to spell properly and write proper grammar).. :lol: Genius, yes!