2011 weather thread

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I live in a place that boasts more than 300 days of sunshine a year. I look forward to the rain. :lol:
You can have our nasty cold rain - it is not even officially winter and it is darn freezing here ... brrrrr. Time to find a nice warm cave and go into hibernation for me!
~Mosaic

Daimona

You can have our nasty cold rain - it is not even officially winter and it is darn freezing here ... brrrrr. Time to find a nice warm cave and go into hibernation for me!
~Mosaic

Mosaic: You can come visit me! It is officially summer here now.
The weather is sunny, but is aspiring to be partly cloudy (and according to the weather forecast it'll start raining in 2h).
Temperature is app. 27 C (app. 81 F), which actually is a bit higher than normal where I live.

Edit to add:
And yep, exactly 2h later, the sky is dark grey, the first thunder started rolling and I got in just in time before the rain poured down! :D

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

It was in the nineties the last three days, low humidity, just like summer and loving it. Then today the temperature dropped thirty degrees, we got wild thunderstorms, and it will be this way for two days, plus barely in the seventies for the next ten days. Mother Nature is a really nasty broad!

Sirène

It was in the nineties the last three days, low humidity, just like summer and loving it. Then today the temperature dropped thirty degrees, we got wild thunderstorms, and it will be this way for two days, plus barely in the seventies for the next ten days. Mother Nature is a really nasty broad!

That storm system is heading this way. :( I really hope it gets here tonight, dumps whatever it's going to dump, and goes on its merry way because my husband took Friday off - we have plans to go to Six Flags with a friend. :pray:

Greek Bonfire

That storm system is heading this way. :( I really hope it gets here tonight, dumps whatever it's going to dump, and goes on its merry way because my husband took Friday off - we have plans to go to Six Flags with a friend. :pray:

I hope so too because this weather here is planning on sticking around for a couple of days, but Friday is supposed to be better. But I would bring an umbrella anyway. :mad:

Shanazel

After a few of the most gorgeous spring days imaginable, we got the kind of thunderstorms that had me watching the sky for tornado activity. We don't get tornados often here, but we do get them. Today is clear, pretty, and windy enough to take the hair off one's head.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Mosaic: You can come visit me! It is officially summer here now.
The weather is sunny, but is aspiring to be partly cloudy (and according to the weather forecast it'll start raining in 2h).
Temperature is app. 27 C (app. 81 F), which actually is a bit higher than normal where I live.

Edit to add:
And yep, exactly 2h later, the sky is dark grey, the first thunder started rolling and I got in just in time before the rain poured down! :D

Thanks - I'd love to visit:D It is officially winter now and we had the coldest Autumn in 40 plus years ... nasty. Winter is shaping up to be too cold for my liking as well. Even my 2 cats won't go outside. They stick their noses out the cat door and quickly withdraw them and seek warm cosy spots to keep warm. I know your winters would be several times then some colder than here, but I am such a woosie when it comes to cold., - detest it with a passion!
~Mosaic

Shanazel

Weather changed- thunderstorms and ice-filled rain driven by a hard wind. Great- and I have to go out in 1915 era costume tonight. Hope I still look like something acceptable when I get there.

Daimona

Weather changed- thunderstorms and ice-filled rain driven by a hard wind. Great- and I have to go out in 1915 era costume tonight. Hope I still look like something acceptable when I get there.

How did it go? Did your 1915 costume survive?

Previously today it was warm and sunny. It is still warm, but thunderstorms are now rolling over the region.
And from my living room I've observed the lightening struck at at hill nearby at least 20 times the last 10 minutes (I started by writing 10 times.. and had to adjust the number as I wrote this post :rolleyes:).

ETA: At 2200, there had been 5647 lightnings hitting ground in my region the last 20h which is quite a lot as there is usually only 200-400 a day when the thunderstorms hit... Incredibly only one house has been reported damaged so far (no fire thanks to flame retardant insulation, just one window smashed and some damage in electronic equipment) according to the newspaper. On the sad side, two horses were killed at another place when they where hiding under a three where the lightening struck.
Thank God we're not flooded as other parts of Norway: All main roads connecting north and south have been closed at several places since Friday, and even some of the main roads connecting east and west are closed atm. There are severe damages to buildings and infrastructure due to the floodings and related land slides, but at least no loss of lives.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Lovely weather you are having, Dai. My costume and I survived. Today is pretty nice so far, but thunderstorms are possible. We'll just take the rain suits and go out on the bikes anyway. If we wait for perfect weather, we'll never get out of here. Maybe the storms will hold off until evening.

gisela

Super Moderator
This evening we had a crazy thunderstorm! Between around 7 pm and 10 pm the rain was pouring and lightning was insane. They are saying on the news that there were over 5000 lightnings hit the city area and 150 mm rain.
Practically every basement is flooded and the street manhole covers (is that the right word?) are popping up because of the flood :shok:
The tv and radio signals have been out all evening all over the city.
Here's a video someone was fast enough to upload.

I am just glad I am not at the Roskilde Festival just half an hour from here where about 70.000 people are living in tents right now ;) The thunderstorm was moving in their direction...

This is pretty close to where I live :shok:

Aniseteph

:shok: Hope you are keeping dry, and that it drains away soon.

We had big thunderstorms pass right over last week, after a "heatwave" that lasted all of a couple of days. Not that much rain though.

gisela

Super Moderator
Thanks Aniseteph, I'm dry in my apartment on the third floor, but the basement is flooded. Luckily most people have their storage rooms in the attic.
Some places downtown, like the cinema "palace" and the "tivoli" had to evacuate because of risk for fire and electricity in the water. Scary!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
WOW! that's a lot of rain in 3 hours, I bet everyone was worried as to when it will stop! Hope it has drained away and there is not too much of a clean up having to be done.
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
Sigh, my ceramic studio is flooded but the kilns are fine and I think my throwing wheel is ok too. There are some bags of plaster that are soaked but otherwise most stuff on the floor is in buckets. There is just plenty of water to wade through. My boyfriend is at his bandpractice space trying to rescue his drums and other equipment. They are predicting another hard rainfall tonight. :(

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Sigh, my ceramic studio is flooded but the kilns are fine and I think my throwing wheel is ok too. There are some bags of plaster that are soaked but otherwise most stuff on the floor is in buckets. There is just plenty of water to wade through. My boyfriend is at his bandpractice space trying to rescue his drums and other equipment. They are predicting another hard rainfall tonight. :(
Oh gosh I am glad your kilns & wheel are OK, what a nuisance ( and expense) to lose your plaster though. I hope your boyfriends band equipment is OK. That would be terrible to lose all that too water damage. Get everything up off the ground ( which i am sure you have rushed to do:D) so if the rain comes again at least you know things are safe.
~Mosaic

Ariadne

We've been getting extra rain as well but nothing like that. I hope everything is alright? Any chance of an update on your wheel and the band equipment?

Kashmir

Christchurch snow

We have been having a very mild winter - only one frost so far. Until last night. Then it snowed (unusual in Christchurch - we only get stuff that stays on the ground for a day or so every few years). Actually it snowed from Invercargill up into the top of the North Island (there was a report of snow in Northland - but everyone thinks it was probably just sleet)

It was snowing at sea level - a good 100mm - kids were sliding down the "sand" hills on bits of wood!
View attachment 4764
View attachment 4765

How unusual is it? Apart from roads being closed most places in the South Island people were told to stay home unless there was urgent reasons to travel (work was not considered urgent). I know that's woosy if you live in many places - but most drivers here can't handle it.

Some photos on Snow, 25 July 2011 - a set on Flickr

Greek Bonfire

All around the globe, the weather is extreme. Whenever we get rain here, it's always like a storm from an Armegeddon attack. I blame the hole in the ozone layer, and the one responsible for hurting the ecology the most, George Dubya Bush.

gisela

Super Moderator
We've been getting extra rain as well but nothing like that. I hope everything is alright? Any chance of an update on your wheel and the band equipment?

Thanks for the concern Ariadne! I missed your post. People are getting back to business but there are still piles of junk on the streets, where people have emptied their cellars. I think my wheel is allright. I am trying it tomorrow. I wanted it to be completely dry before turning it on. There is no moldy smell in our studio so I think I managed to get the water out and clean the place up.
My boyfriend's vintage drum from 1963 has been to the drumdoctor and is ready today :D Only about $250 for fixing it!

The worst thing in Copenhagen was the cancer research bio-bank that got flooded by two metres:shok: They had a million cell-samples or something, and years of Cancer research material. They were afraid of a major setback but saved most of it in the nick of time.