Pole dance

PracticalDancer

That was absolutely stunning to watch! I will admit an anti-pole dance bias -- but she didn't come across as "sexy" or "slutty," she was just an incredible athlete and artist who is AMAZINGLY strong and AMAZINGLY flexible! For all those moments when we pray that the GP will have a "conversion moment" and see our dance for the athletic art that it is . . . I just had my pole dance conversion moment! :shok:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
WOW! she is incredible! love that walking on thin air movement:D She is so powerful & strong.

I embedded the video for you Shan.
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Now to post another totally different dance - Saw this on Bhuz and some of you may have seen it, but for the non Bhuz members this is amazingly beautiful. It totally mesmerised me. I love her graceful hands and arms. Wish mine were 1/2 as graceful:D I've saved this to my youtube favs, I love it so much.
~Mosaic

Amulya

It's amazing how strong the dancer in the first clip is! If pole dancing was done fully clothed it's rather like gymnastics and can be very graceful.
I'd prefer if the artist here would have had some more clothes on so she wouldn't portray the stereotyped dancer in lingerie. Although hers is different of course.
I think you need bare legs though to get a good grip and not slip off. I should ask my friend who takes pole dance classes.

Darshiva

You need a bare waist, bare legs and bare arms to grip the pole properly. What pole dancers wear is pretty much what they need to to be able to do what they do, but I agree that if they wore more sporty or stagey costumes instead of defaulting to lingere that they'd have a lot more respect in the wider community.

Ariadne

she was just an incredible athlete and artist who is AMAZINGLY strong and AMAZINGLY flexible!

I will agree with her being an incredible athlete. I still found the artistic level lacking though. It was great to watch and very entertaining but most of the performance was about the athleticism, it didn't blend. The little dance at the beginning to create atmosphere didn't blend either. The day someone manages to blend the athleticism with the artistic the same way the performers who do the aerial silk do I will agree with you. She's the closest I've seen but I don't think it's there yet.

LuLu

You need a bare waist, bare legs and bare arms to grip the pole properly. What pole dancers wear is pretty much what they need to to be able to do what they do, but I agree that if they wore more sporty or stagey costumes instead of defaulting to lingere that they'd have a lot more respect in the wider community.

Exactly. I used to pole dance but I didnt wear lingerie I wore what I needed to shorts and a spagetti strap top. (one day I hope to get my belly dance practices up.)

Pole Dance 3 - YouTube

Pole Dance 2 - YouTube

Pole Dance...I stuck to the pole. oops - YouTube

Pole Dance - YouTube

Sophia Maria

Wow, that pole dancer is amazing!

Honestly, I think no matter what kind of dance it is, it just all depends on how you portray yourself as a person. For instance, this pole dancer here, despite all the stereotypes, is a lot less nasty than some belly dancers I've seen on youtube who I feel misuse the art. It depends on if you allow yourself to become an athlete, a skank, a lady, a powerful woman, a girl, et cetera et cetera. For me, I judge a lot more on how a dancer portrays her personality to me than her technique or her style of dance.

Ariadne

The aerial silks are amazing, one of my friends does it and teaches it :)

The first time I saw it done I was speechless.

I've been thinking about it a lot since posting and it has occurred to me that a large portion of poledancings trouble with attempting to re-brand themselves is that they are misnamed, it's not dancing it's acrobatics. Think about it. If someone says they are performing acrobatics no one would blink at outfits that are form fitting and show skin but if someone says they are dancing they want to know where the fabric went. There are expectations of dance performances that poledancing just cannot meet so instead the 'dance' part in pole dancing makes people think of exotic dancing especially with it's origins [in the west]. If you instead advertize teaching/performing aerial acrobatics however people will want to see it and the past 'baggage' gets left behind. The more skilled performances (like the example) remind me more of aerial silks, an acrobatic skill, then any other type of skill I have seen.

Watch this...

...and then tell me if you can't imagine it being performed by the Cirque Du Soleil.

Last edited:

LuLu

Funny thing is Pole Dance is associated with strip clubs but a vast majority of strippers (minus the few who took classes and trained on their own dime or a few girls at clubs in stripper competitions like Spearmint Rhino's broadcasted one a few years ago) aren't even trained on the pole at all so Im starting to think it is more of a hollywood thing then an actual strip club thing.

AndreaSTL

There are so many bright spots for me in the original clip I can't even mention them all. Her control is amazing, and her flexibility allows her to move gracefully. Thanks for sharing!

Shakti

Kind of a long video but explains the origins of 'pole dancing'. It is a big sport in india and has been discussed as being added as an Olympic event.

I am a fan of pole dancing in the US, my friend lost a lot of weight doing the classes at a pole dance studio. Another friend is a pole dance instuctor she suffered an ankle injury falling from the pole, it is a tough sport!

LuLu

Kind of a long video but explains the origins of 'pole dancing'. It is a big sport in india and has been discussed as being added as an Olympic event.

I am a fan of pole dancing in the US, my friend lost a lot of weight doing the classes at a pole dance studio. Another friend is a pole dance instuctor she suffered an ankle injury falling from the pole, it is a tough sport!

The only problem I have with it is if they make it skanky. I dont want to watch the olympic athletes in lingerie but if it does become an olympic sport it needs to be pole gymnastics because that is the only way it will ever be legit, if its pole dance one there is no dance in the olympics and the legit pole gymnists will have the skanky stripper stigma no matter how much they try to educate people. So its best to call it pole gymnastics for the olympics and just add music for their routine event like regular gymnasts do for floor event.

Ariadne

Pole gymnastics would be another good name.

So in India is it the sport that is called Mallakhamb or the pole? There is a decided difference in the pole between the Mallakhamb pole and "pole dancing" poles. If they did add it as an Olympic sport which version would they use?

Shakti

The pole and the sport are the same word. Most of the poles I have seen here brass/metal.

It would be interesting to know which pole would be used if it was an Olympic sport.

I do think it would be entertaining to see guys in fancy costumes competing on a pole like the guys wear in figure skating..who says it can't be sexy?? :dance::lol::clap:

Shanazel

there is no dance in the olympics

Isn't ice dancing an event? And floor gymnastics done to music is a form of dance. It's a shame that athletic forms of dance don't get the recognition they deserve and require another name to be accepted by the Olympics.

I dont want to watch the olympic athletes in lingerie

Many pole dancers are no more scantily dressed than some famous women track and field competitors:

View attachment 5057

View attachment 5058

LuLu

The pole and the sport are the same word. Most of the poles I have seen here brass/metal.

It would be interesting to know which pole would be used if it was an Olympic sport.

I do think it would be entertaining to see guys in fancy costumes competing on a pole like the guys wear in figure skating..who says it can't be sexy?? :dance::lol::clap:

Problem is if they keep the Sexy part people will most likely not let it in because of the stigma and alot of the time it gets skanky more than sexy. This is cool though.

Crazy Chinese Pole (By Jay Shen) - YouTube