Its that time of year again!

Duvet

Anyone got any bellydance music they think might suit a Christmas party? Okay - its my performance and normally I concentrate on the 'party' aspect, rather than on the 'Christmas' - but I'm curious of what other people might choose to dance to. And it might give me some inspiration!

Shanazel

I've never heard of petrol bomb samosa but I love the name.

Me, I'd ignore the Christmas aspect of the party and choose middle eastern music that I like. Seriously: a belly dance to a fantasy song about a drummer boy playing for the Christ Child? That's just too weird for me.

Darshiva

I think this proves they can pull out the raqs when required.

[video=youtube;6W36u4ZkpTU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W36u4ZkpTU[/video]

And something a little less 'commercial' by them

[video=youtube;m20umRvwL3I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m20umRvwL3I[/video]

Sorry, I couldn't find little drummer boy no matter how hard I tried!

Shanazel

I liked the second one; not so crazy about the first.

I'm such a naïve little dancer- I thought you were serious about the drummer boy! You are entitled to a nice, loud GOTCHA will full laugh track! :)

Aniseteph

Yup. Eartha rules. :cool:

Me and dance buddy did Santa Baby several years ago, file under "not quite belly dance, wrong music" and note-to-self it is really hard to get belly dance moves to flow to "wrong" music IMO. Aaaand this year - 2 versions of Sugar Plum Fairy mushed together. :rolleyes: . Whatever, everyone else gets to do random fusionery, and it's Chriiiiistmaaaaass. At least we aren't wearing pink tutus.

I used to spend hours trying to find belly-danceable Christmas music for festive haflas, and mostly all I got out of it was being exposed to a lot of truly horrible music. Nowadays I would be more inclined to dance to something I liked, and Christmas it up with a green or red costume or a bit of tinsel.

We also did a very silly class number to "Stop the Cavalry" once, which makes me smile every time I hear it now.

Duvet

Well, I did the Christmas Party. There was mince pies, oranges and mulled cider; carol singing around the piano; a fantastic solo cellist; a 60/70s disco with the Cirque du Soleil "Worlds Apart" movie playing on a twelve foot backdrop (and what a jaw dropping show that is!!); and me. I refrained from dancing to 'Santa Baby', or 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree', and stuck to up beat Arabic (Sahar & Hakim), and fulfilled the remit of getting everyone up on their feet and dancing to get the disco started.

Next gig - a Jive Christmas Ball. I might wear a Christmas hat for that one. :)

Aniseteph

That sounds like a pretty good party all round, who needs a Christmas hat when there's mulled cider? And people up and dancing = a job well done. Congrats!

Shanazel

Always enjoy hearing your twists on entertainment, Duvet. But don't you mean Raqqing Around the Christmas Tree?

Duvet

Always enjoy hearing your twists on entertainment, Duvet. But don't you mean Raqqing Around the Christmas Tree?
Great idea Shanazel!

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
oh man I wish I had seen this earlier as I had a massive list of songs I could have given you. :(