dance for free?

da Sage

so i think i'll talk to the teacher i'm going to take a lesson from and see what she thinks about competing. my reason for wanting to do it was to give me something to work towards, since i have no student show. and from what i've heard from my friends, the judges are quite helpful in the beginner category - work on arms, isolations, smile, etc.

$35 isn't bad, if you have it. I hope it works out well for you!

Pirika Repun

I think good thing about Oriental dance is you can dance for long time. You know many members in this forum have been dancing more than 20, 30, even 40 years!:shok: Compare to some dances such as Hip-Hop, or Jazz, these dances have short life. I mean, if you reach to 40 maybe you can't do some tricks you could when you were 20s. However, oriental dance, you still can do even you reach to 60.

So, I understand you are looking for the goal for the dance, but I think competition is not long term goal. You can compete anytime and if you want to be good professional dancer, it'll be long project. I don't know how old you are, but you look young, and you still a lot year to go. Be patient, and study more right now. Don't your ego take over you to make bad reputation for yourself. It may hurt you later. In general, people will remember either you are pretty good or you are bad. I'm sure you don't want someone remember you as bad dancer for long time, so be patient, and practice more until you feel ready. Please don't your ego take over you, and listen to veteran members' advice they know what they are talking about. ;)

Marya

Also there are quite a few weeklong intensives/camps that would be good too. Oasis dance camp, Mendocino dance camp, Shareen el Safy's weeklong, Morocco's weeklong, Yousri Sharif's weeklong just to name some off the top of my head.

I have been to Oasis Dance camp several times and there is one on Vashon Island in the Seattle Area, so travel would be easy.

Cassandra Shore is the main teacher for these camps but recently they added another teacher who handles the beginning beginners, since Cassandra's technique drills are fairly advanced.

It is a fun, fun camp with about 100 participants. they have a website
http://www.oasisdancecamp.com/ many people from Portland go to this camp as well as from all parts of the US

Marya

alosha

$565.....so does anyone wanna sponsor me? :pray: LoL!

and i really do appreciate everyone's advice. i realize i am a bit obsessed, and i am getting ahead of myself.

i have decided i will do the troupe choreo we have (since i know it quite well) and will NOT do any solos, except maybe for the competition, depending on what i learn at my lesson on friday.

Last edited:

Marya

And worth every penny, three meals a day a shared cabin in a very beautiful location, all the dance classes you want, performance opportunity, shopping. Meeting like minded people from all over and Cassandra is one of the best dancers in the US. Her style is not strictly Egyptian, she refers to it as Arabic. When she performs I am entranced.

Start your Oasis savings account now.

Marya

Kashmir

It includes accommodation and food and very good teachers - the price is reasonable for what it is. However, after only 10 months it could be pushing you a little too hard. It also works best if you actually like being immersed not only in the dance for 24 hours a day but surrounded by people.

alosha

i think it would be wonderful, can't justify spending the money right now, that's for sure. it'll probably be one of the things i will do when my children start school and i go back to work.

Rassi

Have you tried contacting nursing homes? We dance regularly at these facilities and it not only gives us good practice at performing but gives a lift to the residents:D It's a win-win situation!

alosha

we've done a show at a nursing home here. i am looking forward to doing it again.

thank you again to everyone who has been so helpful. i am going to let the more experienced girls do the majority of the performances, and definitely not do more improvisational dancing until i have more experience under my belt. i also don't want them to get a bad reputation because i am so far behind them in the solo department. so i just wont do it right now.

jenc

That is very noble of you - and it will be so good for your dancing. How about picking a song and working with that for several weeks mapping out a choreo (with gaps) Film yourself doing different things to same bits of music, and same thing to different bits of music, then sit down and critique.

IOM you also need to work on having "live" arms. Make sure that your shoulders are down, elbows bent, arms totally relaxed. Avoid having your arms out to the side too much, it is so easy to look like a chicken......... and this is not an egyptian stance.

For travelling steps, I use Jenna Belly dance Basics and Beyond . There are long sections of basic drills and tuition that I still used regurlarly at your stage, then there are 3 mini routines to dance along to, which are not performance pieces, but are for you to practice moves and variations. (I'm Jenpercy). I still used this especially the travelling steps one.

PS gave you rep

Last edited:

Marya

we've done a show at a nursing home here. i am looking forward to doing it again.

thank you again to everyone who has been so helpful. i am going to let the more experienced girls do the majority of the performances, and definitely not do more improvisational dancing until i have more experience under my belt. i also don't want them to get a bad reputation because i am so far behind them in the solo department. so i just wont do it right now.

Alosha,

I really appreciate your ability to take some pretty tough critiques and to take them in the spirit they were offered, without getting irate with the posters.

It really is tough not to have a teacher nearby that is teaching at your level.

Keep up the good work.

Marya

alosha

That is very noble of you - and it will be so good for your dancing. How about picking a song and working with that for several weeks mapping out a choreo (with gaps) Film yourself doing different things to same bits of music, and same thing to different bits of music, then sit down and critique.

IOM you also need to work on having "live" arms. Make sure that your shoulders are down, elbows bent, arms totally relaxed. Avoid having your arms out to the side too much, it is so easy to look like a chicken......... and this is not an egyptian stance.

For travelling steps, I use Jenna Belly dance Basics and Beyond . There are long sections of basic drills and tuition that I still used regurlarly at your stage, then there are 3 mini routines to dance along to, which are not performance pieces, but are for you to practice moves and variations. (I'm Jenpercy). I still used this especially the travelling steps one.

PS gave you rep

i just got four new cds and am in the process of picking out some music to do a choreo to. and i video EVERTHING, so i think the process could work.
i'll keep everyone posted.

i am quite a pro at the chicken stance though! :lol: i got a blanca's sensual bellydance video, and i really like how she explains the softer movements. looking forward to getting a chance to do it. (i like to watch a video all the way through before i do it so i kinda know what to expect)

and i'll check out the video and article! thanks all

and thanks for the rep! though i believe all the helpful advice is far more important.

Last edited:

alosha

Alosha,

I really appreciate your ability to take some pretty tough critiques and to take them in the spirit they were offered, without getting irate with the posters.

It really is tough not to have a teacher nearby that is teaching at your level.

Keep up the good work.

Marya

i really appreciate people being honest, as i really want to portray this dance as an art, and show my love for it as well.

Kharis

personally, i like performing and want others to learn this art and see it as much as possible, and would do it for gas money and some food. so do we do community gigs for free, then charge for private events?

Charity gigs and community gigs are ok to do for free but you should be entitled to expenses. Most charity and community based gigs have funding and will pay other performers. Don't undermine yourself by offering freebies to all and sundry.