Meaning and Gestures in MED

gypsy8522

so what do you call the mix that is added to Molokhiya? we cal it Du'a.
Perhaps it is the way I spelt it?
I just asked Sherif and he said they always called it Du'a meaning spice mix and the gesture was reffered to as the same.
See, this is the situation for most things!! :lol:

PS Tahia Carioca said this and made the gesture in a film.
What about if i spell it Doqa?
I will try to remember the film..

Yes it's the way you spelled it. It's hard to understand arabic words when they are written in phonetic english, that's why "we" (the internet generation of arabic speakers) use numbers when not typing in arabic text, hence the two words spelled do2a and do3a2. Anyway, the grinding pepper thing, I remember doing that to my brother when I was younger. It's really silly and childish and I don't ever recall seeing a grown woman doing it.

Last edited:

Caroline_afifi

Yes it's the way you spelled it. It's hard to understand arabic words when they are written in phonetic english, that's why "we" (the internet generation of arabic speakers) use numbers when not typing in arabic text, hence the two words spelled do2a and do3a2. Anyway, the grinding pepper thing, I remember doing that to my brother when I was younger. It's really silly and childish and I don't ever recall seeing a grown woman doing it.

ha ha :lol:
This is the wonderful world of entertainment!

Sorry, I cant write in Arabic or know how to write English into Arabic and I dont speak English or Arabic particularly well, which is why you will find both languages in one sentence in my house. :lol:

I have actually seen Du'a written like this in a book I have from the AUC. It tends to have ' in many books these days.
Du'a is a very old expression.

Like I said Tahia was very famous for doing it in a film which I think was
(in English for everyone) The Lady game?

gypsy8522

ha ha :lol:
This is the wonderful world of entertainment!

Sorry, I cant write in Arabic or know how to write English into Arabic and I dont speak English or Arabic particularly well, which is why you will find both languages in one sentence in my house. :lol:

I have actually seen Du'a written like this in a book I have from the AUC. It tends to have ' in many books these days.
Du'a is a very old expression.

Like I said Tahia was very famous for doing it in a film which I think was
(in English for everyone) The Lady game?

I used to do the ' in words, such as "ra'asa", but I realized that it creates confusion in some cases :). About the numbers replacing arabic letters, we had a thread about this a while back, I believe it was either in the Lyrics or Music section.

Le3bet el Set, the film starring Taheya Carioca and Naguib el Rihani was a comedy, so you can image why she did that. But in REAL life grown women act alot differently. I don't advise doing it to another adult, unless you want to be perceived as mentally disabled or something. :lol:

Last edited:

Caroline_afifi

I used to do the ' in words, such as "ra'asa", but I realized that it creates confusion in some cases :). About the numbers replacing arabic letters, we had a thread about this a while back, I believe it was either in the Lyrics or Music section.

Le3bet el Set, the film starring Taheya Carioca and Naguib el Rihani was a comedy, so you can image why she did that. But in REAL life grown women act alot differently. I don't advise doing it to another adult, unless you want to be perceived as mentally disabled or something. :lol:

It is used in the likes of Melaya Lef dances and to add a bit of comedy or a moment of 'tongue in cheek' humour in any dance. If it is not placed well and just copied then it looks silly. But the same goes for nearly all of the gestures so i thought I would open a thread.. :D

jenc

The spice grinder movement is used 3 times in this lovely clip of Samia Gamal (which is worth.
Once by the singer at the beginning, and twice by Samia, once at 4 somthing (when hubby walked in and spoke to me) and again right at the end. Any Arabic speaker to give context

Caroline_afifi

The spice grinder movement is used 3 times in this lovely clip of Samia Gamal (which is worth.
Once by the singer at the beginning, and twice by Samia, once at 4 somthing (when hubby walked in and spoke to me) and again right at the end. Any Arabic speaker to give context

Hi Jenc,
Do you have the clip?

Caroline_afifi

Whoops!! I got it from the Samia Gamal thread but thought it worth posting again

Thanks Jenc,
I just saw the one she did at the end as I got distracted with kids!

Farid sings 'Ya awaazil felfilu' which means erm...:think:

The context is, people trying to break up two lovers (awaazil) and Samia is doing 'Du'aa' to say, 'try all you like cos it aint gonna work!'

Latifa

When Ibrahim Farrah used to use this gesture in a dance, he said it meant "rubbing salt in the wound." The context was always earthy and playful.

I heard years ago --- but can't remember the details -- that the gesture had a very different (and racy!) meaning in Turkish dance. Not sure how valid that interpretation might be...