Egyptian style question

lily83

hi girls
in the video Ojos Asi by shakira she starts the clip by dropping her back and moving her hands in an egyptian style. would u tell me what is this called? and how it is performed well? thanks ;)

Eshta

hi girls
in the video Ojos Asi by shakira she starts the clip by dropping her back and moving her hands in an egyptian style. would u tell me what is this called? and how it is performed well? thanks ;)

Hi Lily, nice to have you on the forum.

Having just looked at the video, Shakira is doing a backbend combined with "snake arms". Backbends can be dangerous if executed poorly, I would strongly advise enlisting the aid of an experienced teacher and not trying this by yourself.

I'm guessing you are either new to belly dance or perhaps not learning at all yet, but within belly dance there are lots of different styles, and Shakira does not do "Egyptian style", that descriptive has very specific connotations.

Shakira doesn't 'belly dance' per se, more that she uses movement that is used in belly dance and blends it with numerous other styles to create her own style. You could say she is influenced by belly dance movement but the dance is a lot deeper than a few moves. Just informing you as it can really draw the blood from under the nails of a lot of belly dancers :lol: To give you an example, please see the thread below to see how emotive the topic can become!
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/debate/2159-what-belly-dance-style-shakira.html

lily83

Hi Lily, nice to have you on the forum.

Having just looked at the video, Shakira is doing a backbend combined with "snake arms". Backbends can be dangerous if executed poorly, I would strongly advise enlisting the aid of an experienced teacher and not trying this by yourself.

I'm guessing you are either new to belly dance or perhaps not learning at all yet, but within belly dance there are lots of different styles, and Shakira does not do "Egyptian style", that descriptive has very specific connotations.

Shakira doesn't 'belly dance' per se, more that she uses movement that is used in belly dance and blends it with numerous other styles to create her own style. You could say she is influenced by belly dance movement but the dance is a lot deeper than a few moves. Just informing you as it can really draw the blood from under the nails of a lot of belly dancers :lol: To give you an example, please see the thread below to see how emotive the topic can become!
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/debate/2159-what-belly-dance-style-shakira.html

hi eshta thanks to u.
well i bet it's dangerous coz i've tried it once and got pain in my spine lol.
well i'm not new to bellydance but still beginner i mean i'm trying to dance whenever had the chance and it looks good. but now i would like to take it serously and start practicing. i love shakira so much and i know that she's mixing seceral dance moves from diverent styles but the result is amazing. :)

lizaj

hi eshta thanks to u.
well i bet it's dangerous coz i've tried it once and got pain in my spine lol.
well i'm not new to bellydance but still beginner i mean i'm trying to dance whenever had the chance and it looks good. but now i would like to take it serously and start practicing. i love shakira so much and i know that she's mixing seceral dance moves from diverent styles but the result is amazing. :)
If you think Shakira is amazing ( and she is an excellent entertainer) wait til you see a proper belly dancer;):)

lily83

If you think Shakira is amazing ( and she is an excellent entertainer) wait til you see a proper belly dancer;):)
hi sister

i think she does bellydance moves in very creative way like chest lift, belly rolls, belly props, shimmys, hip lift, hip twist, hip circles, maya, ... what else she can't do? plus being an entertainer with other moves from different dance styles. wow she's realy a great dancer.:clap:

Kharis

hi sister

i think she does bellydance moves in very creative way like chest lift, belly rolls, belly props, shimmys, hip lift, hip twist, hip circles, maya, ... what else she can't do? plus being an entertainer with other moves from different dance styles. wow she's realy a great dancer.:clap:

Shakira has already done herself an injury or nine, dancing the way she does. She should come with a Health & Safety Warning...do not wriggle or snap spine like wot I do else yoo'll end up wiv arfritus!

lily83

lily83

Shakira has already done herself an injury or nine, dancing the way she does. She should come with a Health & Safety Warning...do not wriggle or snap spine like wot I do else yoo'll end up wiv arfritus!

hi kharis
oh i bet she must have hurt herself. coz these moves she does are really difficult and not any one can do unless she's a professional like her. i don't think i'm going to do that by myself like one of the sisters advised me not too. thanks.:)

lily83

another question

hi girls once again

in the video Ojos Asi while she's dancing on stage live not the clip. she lifts her hands in one side and shakes one hip or moves one leg in one side very fast. what's this called? coz i searched many bellydance videos on this move but couldn't find it's name. please help. sorry for the bad discrption lol.:lol:

lizaj

Is anyone else quite as fed up "wiv" the Shakira as Belly Dancer issue as me?

Listen my dear..she is NOT a belly dancer but a talented singer who has been taught a few belly dance moves and puts on a good show.
It's delusional to believe she is a world class Egyptian style belly dancer so go away and look at some films of proper BELLY dancers from the Egypt and Turkey and the Lebanon..oh yes there are a few Americans and Europeans who make a fair stab at it as well.
And please read through the links you have been given so we don't get twisted up in an arguement where we have all visited before.

Oh and welcome to the Forum.;)

Aniseteph

oh i bet she must have hurt herself. coz these moves she does are really difficult and not any one can do unless she's a professional like her.

Since when does injuring yourself doing really difficult moves mark you out as a professional? :confused:

Marks you out as someone who doesn't know what she's doing IMO.

lily83

Is anyone else quite as fed up "wiv" the Shakira as Belly Dancer issue as me?

Listen my dear..she is NOT a belly dancer but a talented singer who has been taught a few belly dance moves and puts on a good show.
It's delusional to believe she is a world class Egyptian style belly dancer so go away and look at some films of proper BELLY dancers from the Egypt and Turkey and the Lebanon..oh yes there are a few Americans and Europeans who make a fair stab at it as well.
And please read through the links you have been given so we don't get twisted up in an arguement where we have all visited before.

Oh and welcome to the Forum.;)

I lover her bellydance moves. she's a genious. you don't have to agree. i'm her fan. thanks :D

Maria_Aya

hi girls once again

in the video Ojos Asi while she's dancing on stage live not the clip. she lifts her hands in one side and shakes one hip or moves one leg in one side very fast. what's this called? coz i searched many bellydance videos on this move but couldn't find it's name. please help. sorry for the bad discrption lol.:lol:

:)
The reason you didnt found the answer of the name in bellydance videos... is because she is not doing bellydance !

Fantastic artist in other ways

lily83

:)
The reason you didnt found the answer of the name in bellydance videos... is because she is not doing bellydance !

Fantastic artist in other ways

hi maria
it is a bellydance move and it is a very original one coz i saw the same move in so many Egyptian movies performed by Fifi Abdu and others. ;)
could any of you tell me what is that called plz thanx.

Pirika Repun

hi maria
it is a bellydance move and it is a very original one coz i saw the same move in so many Egyptian movies performed by Fifi Abdu and others. ;)
could any of you tell me what is that called plz thanx.

Authentic Egyptian style doesn’t have name for each moves. Most of movement names are given by Westerns, not Egyptians. If you ask some Egyptian dancers what that move, then they will say “I don’t know.” Just they know how to do it, because they learn from their family members or friends. When I took Tito’s WS last year, he never used any movement names while he taught us choreography. He just showed us the moves. If all movements have names, then he would teach choreography used movement names, but he didn’t. I don’t know if other Egyptian teachers teach with movement names, but I doubt it.

lily83

Since when does injuring yourself doing really difficult moves mark you out as a professional? :confused:

Marks you out as someone who doesn't know what she's doing IMO.

hi aniseteph
since all Icons of all centuries been through difficult times and got over it with their will.;)

Mara2

Hello Lilly,

You are very correct in that Shakira is doing bellydance. No matter how many people try to deny this or tell you otherwise. Here is an article about the style she does:
Shakira, Exotic and Passionate Arabian Belly Dancer - Associated Content

Shakira was 4 years old when she began learning bellydance from her Lebonese grandmother. So, anyone who says what she does is NOT bellydance is full of it. Most of the posters here are not of Middle Eastern descent, so you can take that for what it is worth too.

Warmest Regards

lily83

Authentic Egyptian style doesn’t have name for each moves. Most of movement names are given by Westerns, not Egyptians. If you ask some Egyptian dancers what that move, then they will say “I don’t know.” Just they know how to do it, because they learn from their family members or friends. When I took Tito’s WS last year, he never used any movement names while he taught us choreography. He just showed us the moves. If all movements have names, then he would teach choreography used movement names, but he didn’t. I don’t know if other Egyptian teachers teach with movement names, but I doubt it.

hi pirika
i know that egyptian dancers didn't give names to bellydance moves that's why i'm here asking pple in the west to answer my question if they have an idea. thanx

Mara2

hi girls

This is just a backbend with snake arms. What makes it interesting is the snake painted on her arm though. Very cool touch. Something I noticed in watching her videos just now is her dancing is very much like old Egyptian and Turkish, even though she is doing mainly old Lebanese. My father said, many years ago, that the dance is the same no matter where you go in the Middle East. Being that he lived there for nearly 20 years in the 40's and 50's, and the fact he was 1/2 Turk, he would know. Shakira's dancing brought that home for me. Mostly what you see today is a bunch of made up stuff fused with God knows what (ballet, salsa, hula, blahblahblah), so you don't see this beautiful old style so much any more. She is a lovely dancer, no question.