Hello yall, from Oklahoma

starrbursts

Hey,
My name is Tami and I live in southern oklahoma. I haven't started belly dancing yet but I'm about to tomorrow actually. I'm gonna be using DVDs because there aren't any teachers around and I've read it's about the same deal except you can't get personal advisement on Belly Dancing. So that's why I'm really excited about this forum so I can get great advice! I'm getting the Veena and Neena Basic Dance DVD but soon gonna buy other better ones like Amira's Belly Dance 101 or something like that. Any ideas about DVDs I should get so I can get as much out of it as possible?

Anyway, I'm totally siked. I can't stop looking at youtube and researching. Man! I can't wait! lol!

Moon

Welcome Tami :)

There are one or more threads about suitable beginners DVD's on the forum, so I guess you'll be able to find lots of information you need here.
Nice to hear you're so enthousiastic about the dance already, wait till you start and you'll be addicted :D

Ravenmoon

Fellow Okies

Keep your eyes and ears open for potential teachers in your area. When I moved to Tulsa, there was only one website that kept popping up, and it turns out that instructor is, shall we say, a bit of a megalomaniac who isn't all she "pipes up" to be. I have joined a troupe that specializes in tribal and gypsy fusion.

starrbursts

Keep your eyes and ears open for potential teachers in your area. When I moved to Tulsa, there was only one website that kept popping up, and it turns out that instructor is, shall we say, a bit of a megalomaniac who isn't all she "pipes up" to be. I have joined a troupe that specializes in tribal and gypsy fusion.

Hey, I know what troupe you're talking about. I saw it online too! It looked awesome!

Madeline

Hello Tami! I recommend both Delilah’s Bellydance Workshop series and Leyla Jouvana’s 21 Shimmies and 1001 Variations.

Madeline :D

nisha

Tami

Hi Tami!

You should get jillinas beginners dvd,its so good! she really breaks every move down. And yo learn a whole new choreography!

where in OK are u from?

Nayila

hi--i am a fellow okie!

Hi Starr!

I am an Okie...I grew up outside Tinker AFB in Midwest city, but i am familiar with Duncan. My mom was raised in Spencer and she had alot of friends there. good Luck dancing---the bellytwins are ok but really be careful with the DVD's and decide if you are dancing for art or for fun...that will influence your choices. Use Shira's website for reviews if you have not already Belly Dancing -- Art Of Middle Eastern Dance -- Bellydancing in Iowa City

happy dancing!