Slipping Skirt???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azeeza

Can anyone give me advice about keeping a skirt from slipping off my hips?

All the heavy decorations on belts tend to make my skirt move downward.

Any suggestions?

Azeeza :(

Shanazel

I have never tried it myself, but a friend who used to participate in beauty contests used to use spray on fabric adhensive to keep her swimsuit in place over her bottom (she sprayed her buttocks, then put on the suit). She said it washed off her skin and didn't hurt the suit. That might help keep a heavy skirt in place. I have used the spray on adhesive to temporarily hold pieces of art projects into place, and have never had any problem with damage.

Gia al Qamar

Can anyone give me advice about keeping a skirt from slipping off my hips?

All the heavy decorations on belts tend to make my skirt move downward.

Any suggestions?

Azeeza :(

Azeeza,
Can you be more specific about the skirt? Is it one of the non-belt variety? Lycra Velvet? Straight skirt?
I do a lot of alterations on the 'couture' skirts that are the current fashion in Egypt (and THE US!) and often add an interior series of elastic strips that make the skirt pucker when it's off, but 'grab' the hips when on...
Any photos of the skirt or a description could help!!!
Gia

Hadassah

I have this problem with my skirt and bedleh. I am a short-legged gal, so I usually roll the waist at least once, and then safety pin my belt to the skirt. I usually wear a tummy-cover, so that keeps it from sliding over the slippery netting as well. Ah, the joys of costume malfunction. In my short career as a dancer so far, I have had a scarf come off on stage, a bra hook come undone(no one noticed) and I've stepped on my skirt before, as well as having various bits of fabric stick out where they shouldn't. Did I mention what a klutz I am?

Azeeza

Azeeza,
Can you be more specific about the skirt? Is it one of the non-belt variety? Lycra Velvet? Straight skirt?
I do a lot of alterations on the 'couture' skirts that are the current fashion in Egypt (and THE US!) and often add an interior series of elastic strips that make the skirt pucker when it's off, but 'grab' the hips when on...
Any photos of the skirt or a description could help!!!
Gia

Gia:

Thanks for coming to my rescue.

The skirt is velvet and the belt is extremely heavy. I don't think it's the skirt's fault though, it's my shape. I hardly have any hips.

BUT, the skirt is v shaped in the front and back as is the belt. I'll try and post some photos a tad later on. This seems to happen with all my dance skirts AND my jeans as well :eek: .

I have never tried it myself, but a friend who used to participate in beauty contests used to use spray on fabric adhensive to keep her swimsuit in place over her bottom (she sprayed her buttocks, then put on the suit). She said it washed off her skin and didn't hurt the suit. That might help keep a heavy skirt in place. I have used the spray on adhesive to temporarily hold pieces of art projects into place, and have never had any problem with damage.

Hmm, this sounds VERY interesting. Spray on adhesive??? Where would you find such a thing and does it come off clothing?

Must explore :) ,

I have this problem with my skirt and bedleh. I am a short-legged gal, so I usually roll the waist at least once, and then safety pin my belt to the skirt. I usually wear a tummy-cover, so that keeps it from sliding over the slippery netting as well. Ah, the joys of costume malfunction. In my short career as a dancer so far, I have had a scarf come off on stage, a bra hook come undone(no one noticed) and I've stepped on my skirt before, as well as having various bits of fabric stick out where they shouldn't. Did I mention what a klutz I am?

At least I think that's what my problem is with the skirt slipping, no bum.

I think just about all dancers have experienced some of the same almost castrophes as you have.

I'm so glad that I am not alone ;) .

Thanks for sharing,

Azeeza

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanazel

You can find fabric adhesive in most fabric stores, certainly if the stores specialize in quilting. There are a number of brands and types. The kind I have comes in a can and sprays a fine mist that is used to hold two pieces of fabric together until the can be stitched. It is made to be used with fabric and just sort of disappears after a while. I have not ever had trouble with it spoiling fabric, but be sure and read the instructions on the can before using it. I'm also not sure how that lady-like glow we get while dancing might affect the adhesive. If it is water-soluble, it might not work as well. I suppose you could also use the type of double sided tape that you use to keep sofa cushions in place. May as well try a bunch of things. I have plenty of hips and would love to loan you a few inches, yet I have trouble keeping things in place on bare skin, too. I wear a flesh colored powernet body stocking under my costumes and find they don't slip nearly as much.

Azeeza

Wow!!

You can find fabric adhesive in most fabric stores, certainly if the stores specialize in quilting. There are a number of brands and types. The kind I have comes in a can and sprays a fine mist that is used to hold two pieces of fabric together until the can be stitched. It is made to be used with fabric and just sort of disappears after a while. I have not ever had trouble with it spoiling fabric, but be sure and read the instructions on the can before using it. I'm also not sure how that lady-like glow we get while dancing might affect the adhesive. If it is water-soluble, it might not work as well. I suppose you could also use the type of double sided tape that you use to keep sofa cushions in place. May as well try a bunch of things. I have plenty of hips and would love to loan you a few inches, yet I have trouble keeping things in place on bare skin, too. I wear a flesh colored powernet body stocking under my costumes and find they don't slip nearly as much.

I've seen spray adhesive in the art supply stores, but never in the fabric stores. Then again, I haven't been looking for it because I never knew that it existed!

Thanks for the wonderful tip! The next time I go shopping, which will be soon, I'll look for the spray on fabric adhesive.

How ingenious :) !

Azeeza

Safran

Wow, what great suggestions! I would have only suggested sewing an extra piece of string or ribbon inside the skirt with additional hooks + attaching bigger safety belts through underwear, skirt and the belt. :D

Shanazel

I have seen costumes with attached underwear or that were attached to panties by pins or straps, and it never fails to give me the shivers. It is bad enough to step on your skirt and pull it halfway down your thighs, but if you pulled skirt and panties at the same time- oh, my goodness. I realize there are dancers who think nothing of flashing a nice butt at their audience, but...
Well, call me old fashioned, but I like to make sure certain of my parts remain securely covered in case of skirt slippage.

tim ema

I've seen spray adhesive in the art supply stores, but never in the fabric stores. Then again, I haven't been looking for it because I never knew that it existed!

Thanks for the wonderful tip! The next time I go shopping, which will be soon, I'll look for the spray on fabric adhesive.

How ingenious :) !

Azeeza

Just a quick note of caution about spray adhesives in art supply stores! They come in PERMENANT and TEMPORARY. The permenant is just what the name implies, while the temporary is sort of like "post-it" note adhesive.
They would of course be chemically different, so they would behave in different ways.

Let us know how it turns out! I'm VERY interested! I DO have hips, but no bum unfortunately, and I'm not looking forward to rigging up a belt when I finally get one!

:)
AT

Azeeza

I went to the fabric store today and I bought something that was temporary and permanent. How something can be both is beyond me.

I'll use a scrap piece of fabric and see how it works on skin and what it does to the fabric.

I bought this brand because it was less expensive. Originally, I was going to go with SULKY brand, but it was $12.95 for a small can. This one, that the check out lady told me about, is $10.95 for a huge can.

Azeeza

tim ema

I went to the fabric store today and I bought something that was temporary and permanent....I'll use a scrap piece of fabric and see how it works on skin and what it does to the fabric..... This one, that the check out lady told me about, is $10.95 for a huge can.

Azeeza

Do tell us how it pans out, eh?

:)
AT

Shanazel

Temporary permanence, huh? I look forward to reading your conclusion about gluing one's costume to one's hips. It could sure come in handy if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.