How much to charge for classes?

Brea

Hi everyone,

When I taught in Atlantic Canada, I was charging $5/class for students, $10/class for nonstudents. The classes were two hours in duration and there were two classes a week. I am starting to teach again but I live in a different city. What is a fair price? The city where I lived in Canada was very economically depressed and I wanted to offer my classes at a price everyone could afford. This is not the case for my new location; my original instructor lives here and she charges $35/mo. What is your opinion?

-Brea

flutter

you should charge the same as other belly dancers, as to not under cut.
When i started out it was the same fee for a yoga class or a dance class anywhere in the area.
Here it seems to be $10 per class hour but i am in Ma, USA

Aisha Azar

Dance

Hi everyone,

When I taught in Atlantic Canada, I was charging $5/class for students, $10/class for nonstudents. The classes were two hours in duration and there were two classes a week. I am starting to teach again but I live in a different city. What is a fair price? The city where I lived in Canada was very economically depressed and I wanted to offer my classes at a price everyone could afford. This is not the case for my new location; my original instructor lives here and she charges $35/mo. What is your opinion?

-Brea

Dear Brea,
Wow.... that was WAY cheap!!! I live in an economically repressed area and I charge $35 per month or $10 a class if one pays that way. My classes are one hour long. I also give a $5 discount on the second class for anyone taking more than one class a week and paying for both by the month. In my area some people charge more and some less. I have decided that I have been here the longest and I am not going to worry about what the standard rate is. I charge what I charge because I feel it is fair to the student and to me.
Regards,
A'isha

Gia al Qamar

The average hour class in NJ is $15 per hour.
Very few of us allow drop in students...it's usually a 6 week course of study.
Gia

miriam

I charge $10 a class or $50 for an 8 week session. Belly dance is really new to this area and if it were much more expensive, many people wouldn't be able to afford it. I will also be introducing a $35/month fee for a fitness class I'm starting, with a $5 if you have paid for the session for one of my other classes. The dance studio I teach at once a week charges $45 per month, but they have to pay far more in rent than what I pay to the Recreation Center. Oh, and all classes are one hour.

Brea

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice! I always thought I was charging pretty low but then bellydance had never been introduced to Cape Breton before (so I have the honor of being the person who did that) and two of my students now also teach there. I really wanted to get people into the dance, and the low price seemed to attract them...my classes were always pretty large.

It seems like 30-35/mo is roughly the going rate around here...I don't want to undercut anyone in the area either. I suppose I could limit the classes to one hour as well...hmmm...

-Brea

adiemus

My teacher charges $80 for 8 weeks, if you pay before class starts, otherwise it's $90. If you miss a class, too bad, but having said that when I got concussion, she let me re-start the class at the beginning with no extra charge after I had done two of the original class but then had to stop.
Now we pay $40 per four-week session, and if you want individual classes, it's $15.
Classes are for around 90 minutes including warmdown, but very small classes, only four to six, which means it's almost like having individual tuition.
I'd probably go even if it were a little more - it's a bit like comparing the cost of going to the gym (only soooooo much more fun!)

janaki

We charge about USD 25 for drop ins and USD 20 for the regulars. We also have different packages. The more classes you buy, the cheaper the price gets. The cheapest is about USD 15.