New guy trying to learn :)

Yue

Hello everyone !!!

I'm a spanish guy living in Guangzhou, south of China.

**beginning long boring story, you can skip reading from here**

I joined a gym like... a month ago, and one day I saw they were teaching belly dance. I was curious and spent 10 minutes looking at a class, and I really really loved it.

So next day I wanted to try, but.... you know, it's all girls there, and I used to be VERY shy (im improving, but still a bit shy sometimes... hahah) so I hesitated, and in the end I didn't attend the class, but when it was over I talked with the teacher and asked her some very stupid questions (like, is ok for a guy to learn? is ok for you if I attend you class? did other guys before tried learning with you? is it difficult? mom, I'm scared...).
She was very nice and supportive, and in the end, she convinced me to try.

Next day I went into the class and... ohmygoodness... the teacher was not the same one !!!!
Anyways, I pulled myself together and the class started. She perfomed a long choreography, and I tried my best to follow her (like, lifting my arms when she did, turning around... and that's it). I never danced before (as said, I was very shy) not in bars, discos, or such, and of course never took a class, so I think it was probably one of the 3 or 4 worst belly dancing performances in the whole history. My dog would have done better. And I don't even have a dog.
But I noticed some things. First, nobody was looking at me, they were just dancing, some of them not too well (of course much better than me, but still that means there were other newcomers in the class), also they didn't expel me from class, or laugh at me (wow, that's surprising), and also... I felt very well, I liked the kind of movements, I liked the feeling very much.
Then the teacher started teaching us the basic movements, and I was enjoying SO MUCH that before I noticed, the class was over.

So, I looked for other classes in Guangzhou (my gym card allows me to go any gym in the city) and made a list of all the classes, then downloaded many movies, checked many sites....

Then I found doubleveil.com, and its fabulous FAQ... and I realized all he said was true !!!! after reading that, I was very very very impressed, very excited, and feeling really happy, confident (I can't dance, but hell, I CAN learn) and eager to attend the next class. "If I can help one guy gain some security in himself, I've done something." well, he did indeed.

So, I have attended five classes already, and I plan to take a class or two a day (I work with my computer whenever and wherever I want, so I have total freedom to plan my schedule) and to learn as much as I can, and to enjoy a whole new and fascinating world.

**end of the long boring story**

An important step is meeting other people doing belly dance, and torture them with lots of questions, hahah... therefore I just found and joined this forum :) so.... very nice to meet you all!!!!!

And I must leave now, next class starts in half an hour !!!

Enjoy !!!!

Last edited:

alosha

Welcome, and I am so glad you found Zorba's site! He's wonderful, and you will learn SO much on this forum.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum! Loved your story. So glad you decided to do that first class:D Now we have another addicted dancer amongst us.

You probably know by now that Zorba is a member of this forum, along with some other guys. I am sure they will be a big help to you, and yes we all will try to answer any questions you may have.

Lucky you being able to take 'zillions' of classes, you'll be dancing up a storm before you know it!
~Mosaic

Pirika Repun

Welcome to the forum!

You come to the right place brother. In this forum so many male dancers are also members. You already know Zorba, and I have to introduce you my teacher, and member of forum Tarik Sultan. Tarik has been dancing for 24 years now, and he is very knowledgeable person, so you'll learn a lot from him for sure. ;)

Also this forum is very international. Some professional members are Jamil from Australia, Serkan from Belgium, Prince Kayammer from Greece, Zadiel from Germany, and DaVid from San Diego. Not only professional dancers, but Khanjar from UK is just started dance classes like you! So, you have a lot of dance brothers in this forum!

I'm so glad all your teachers and other students accept you. Keep dancing, and have fun! :dance:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Zorba? Who's Zorba?

*blush*

:pray:

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the dance!

Yue

Yes, I found some of Zorba messages yesterday while browsing the forum !!!! I had no idea !!!!!

Zorba, thank you SO MUCH for your inspiration :) not only you dissipated all my (many) doubts about belly dancing as a guy, and answered many questions with clear, realistic answers, but also made me realize what the important things are. Like, be secure in yourself, in both your masculinity and your femininity, (none of us are 100% male or female in everything we do, are we?), be YOURSELF, know yourself, enjoy yourself.... And I do so very much :)

As you say, "males in general are so very insecure with themselves". Well, not this very clumsy very newbie belly dancer!!

And I could cite every phrase in that FAQ, so I better stop already :) again, thank you so much.

I've been practising like crazy, yesterday I fell asleep at 9, and I think I must've slept like 12 hours.... it's been (many) years since I did that... hahah.... so I will not attend classes today (also I need to finish my university project in 2 weeks, so I can use the time!) but tomorrow I will be up and ready to keep learning !!!!!

Mosaic: "you'll be dancing up a storm before you know it!"
I don't expect to learn very fast :D but I'm not in a hurry at all, I'm deeply enjoying the process, and will keep doing so !!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome !!!!

Yue

Seriously, Zorba, reading your website was like watching Fight Club for the first time.
Without the blood and violence, of course. :)

I lovvvved the part where you talk about work. When you first meet someone and the first question is... well, in english is "what do you do?" as in "what is your job?", in Spanish, translating literally, we ask "what are you?" and I answer "I'm a web programmer".
Hell, no. I'm so many things more important to me than a web programmer. I am a traveller, I am a language learner, I am a swimmer... I am a belly dance newbie. Also a web programmer, but that's what I do to earn money and do the things I love and enjoy, the things that make me feel fulfilled.

And no, I do not own a single necktie, although I've been forced to wear them 3 times in my life.

And.... shutting up already. Promise :)

Starting class in 40 minutes !!! Yay !!!!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I lovvvved the part where you talk about work. When you first meet someone and the first question is... well, in english is "what do you do?" as in "what is your job?", in Spanish, translating literally, we ask "what are you?" and I answer "I'm a web programmer".
Hell, no. I'm so many things more important to me than a web programmer. I am a traveller, I am a language learner, I am a swimmer... I am a belly dance newbie. Also a web programmer, but that's what I do to earn money and do the things I love and enjoy, the things that make me feel fulfilled.
I am many things. A computer tech. An electronics tech. A sometime web programmer. A Belly Dancer. A Greek folk dancer. My wife's husband. Our daughter's father. A piano technician/enthusiast. A piano player. A diesel engine mechanic/enthusiast. Blah, blah, blah...

Yue

Right now all I am is a very very stressed guy who should be working on his university project which has the deadline on June, 10th, and stop writing in blogs and looking for belly dance lessons

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

:lol:

But after June 10th.... boy o boy.... I'm gonna take 2 or 3 classes a day !!!!

Why do I keep typing? Stop already and back to work !!!!!
yesssir..... (...the very stressed guy answered to himself)