How not to teach

Aniseteph

That was after ten years of teaching? So, ten plus years of learning seriously enough to want to teach? Oh dear.

Also file under how not to make an instructional video - talk talk fast forward still talking blah blah yeah whatever oh look finally...

80's high cut leotards - haaahaahaaaa. :lol:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
OMG! :shok:- seriously? I burst out laughing, that was a total comedy. I think she is Jessica Rabbit's sister or sister in law seeing Eddie R. is her husband.
~Mosaic

Munniko

Wow, just wow that was something special. I mean I'm not sure if I truly believe what I just saw.

Shanazel

Just because one can afford to make a dvd doesn't mean one should make a dvd. Or VHS, rather. You can buy it on Amazon for one cent over the cost of shipping.

It is dated 1993 thus the leotards, though I quite wearing that style about 1983, even as fashion backward as I am. Can you say "uncomfortable," boys and girls?

Last edited:

Erik

Shanazel, you just dashed my chance to shrink into the background after 522 posts. [Damn it, woman!]

Her tape was available from a company that I ordered cigars from back when I could afford them. I also saw her perform on one of the talk shows, but by then I had seen enough of it to think that she was as she described herself, a bit of a klutz. Nevertheless, her husband was a great singer and Country music artist, and I can only hope that his love for his wife will be understood.

And, as your title suggests, it still works as a curio, yes? :D

Pleasant dancer

Shanazel, you are a very bad person! :D I've just watched that before going to bed and now I know I'm going to have nightmares (oh well it is halloween :lol:)

Shanazel

Ah, Erik, preventing you from merely lurking on OD is one of my life goals.

Yes, Eddie's presentation of his wife's video was very sweet. Must say I was never an ERabbitt fan; his stuff always seemed most appropriate playing in a smokey bar or about midnight in the cab of a semi. ;)

Ariadne

I like the title of your thread, it's so appropriate. I do however adore that her husband did that for her.

Erik

Yay, Farasha Hanem replied! This is freakin' Farasha Hanem. so I don't even have to read it yet to know that it's worth reading.

And then............failure to launch. :confused:

That's okay, Farasha. I was tempted to fall back on my right to remain silent as well.

Shanazel

And did you make a teaching video? ;)

I wonder if she looks at it now and cringes. I did so many things that I am glad no one ever recorded.

Imeera

Actually, I was thinking "that's how I dance" NOW! >.>;;;;;
*goes and dies of embarrassment*

Me toooo T.T *goes and dies of embarrassment too*
But as Kashmir says; at least its not after 10 years! :lol:

This has made me determined to get better now :D

AndreaSTL

I have some truly craptacular performances on video, unfortunately. At least I didn't market them as instructionals. The video worked as she'd hoped: I will keep dancing so I don't appear that way.

A serious question - was there better dancing around in 1993? I didn't start until around 1996, and the internet age wasn't very far away. If she has been teaching for ten years I would guess she studied for at least one or two years before that (not condoning just going for a minimum estimate), so that would have started her dance education around 1981 or 1982 at the latest. It's my understanding that there weren't a lot of touring instructors at the time, so you pretty much learned from local teachers. If they had poor teachers it would have been so easy to have a bunch of pretty girls in shiny costumes who couldn't really dance. Costumes were all hand made, and the music selection was limited to a couple of tapes (at least here). I know there are veteran dancers here - do tell! What was your local dance scene like back in the day?

Birdlight

Oh bless her...that end dance where she showcases her 'skills' had the least elegant descent and ascent from the floor I have ever seen. It's like that moment at hafla's where the dancer thats trying reeeeeeally hard goes on, and you can see everyone cringing...except this is on the internet and EVERYONE can see it.

I cannot imagine thats an era thing...afterall there are plenty of footage from dancers from era's then and prior that are superb. I think that either she was taught badly herself or that in fact, some people are not intended to dance.

But her husband is adorable and devoted and I think I love him a little bit just for saying and doing all that for her.