Lots of wonder.

trang1808

Sorry mod. If my thread is posted in wrong place, please move it to the satisfied place.

I wonder if practicing through instructional DVD means that you have learned with that instructor? Therefore, with the suit DVD for your level means you reach that level.

By the way, how long does it take to approach the next level? What have you been studying in class? The first level is with basic movements and what is the next? I wonder what is taught in Egyptian belly dance class.

I am sorry if my question seems stupid.

Kashmir

Sorry mod. If my thread is posted in wrong place, please move it to the satisfied place.

I wonder if practicing through instructional DVD means that you have learned with that instructor? Therefore, with the suit DVD for your level means you reach that level.

By the way, how long does it take to approach the next level? What have you been studying in class? The first level is with basic movements and what is the next? I wonder what is taught in Egyptian belly dance class.

I am sorry if my question seems stupid.
Hi, I don't think you can count DVD practicing as "studying with" - even if you are very experienced. If you are just learning then definitely not. There is no feedback and there is not enough instruction. Even with a very full instructional video - I have some that are three hours long - the teacher is only covering a fraction of what they can teach you. Even if you were able to do everything they cover in the three hours there is still much, much more that is available to learn - even from that one person.

The idea of "levels" is fraught. My beginners do 10 hours "Introduction" - in that time they are introduced to about 15 moves, isolations and travelling steps (and some background material on history, culture, music etc). Another 10 hours gets them to the point they can use these to perform something approaching belly dance - that is they work on improving their technique and transitions. Far as I'm concerned they are still beginners. Some will stay "beginners" for a another year - some for 5 years. It really depends on the person and how the "levels" are defined.

People have different ideas, but basically if you are still struggling with simple (unlayered) moves, are unable to shimmy and walk, cannot engage your abs to protect your body and generate movement, are unable to move between movements smoothly or are unable to improvise to Arabic music - you are still a beginner.

Once you have those basic skills under your belt you can start to learn the "dancing" part of belly dance.

If you mean by "Egyptian belly dance class" - a belly dance class in Egypt then that is fairly new and would apply to people who can already dance. I've never been taught "moves" as such by Egyptian teachers. They have taught attitude, flavour, combinations (usually by the follow the bouncing butt method) and choreographies which assume you can watch what they do and follow along.

Good luck

trang1808

Hi, I don't think you can count DVD practicing as "studying with" - even if you are very experienced. If you are just learning then definitely not. There is no feedback and there is not enough instruction. Even with a very full instructional video - I have some that are three hours long - the teacher is only covering a fraction of what they can teach you. Even if you were able to do everything they cover in the three hours there is still much, much more that is available to learn - even from that one person.

The idea of "levels" is fraught. My beginners do 10 hours "Introduction" - in that time they are introduced to about 15 moves, isolations and travelling steps (and some background material on history, culture, music etc). Another 10 hours gets them to the point they can use these to perform something approaching belly dance - that is they work on improving their technique and transitions. Far as I'm concerned they are still beginners. Some will stay "beginners" for a another year - some for 5 years. It really depends on the person and how the "levels" are defined.

People have different ideas, but basically if you are still struggling with simple (unlayered) moves, are unable to shimmy and walk, cannot engage your abs to protect your body and generate movement, are unable to move between movements smoothly or are unable to improvise to Arabic music - you are still a beginner.

Once you have those basic skills under your belt you can start to learn the "dancing" part of belly dance.

If you mean by "Egyptian belly dance class" - a belly dance class in Egypt then that is fairly new and would apply to people who can already dance. I've never been taught "moves" as such by Egyptian teachers. They have taught attitude, flavour, combinations (usually by the follow the bouncing butt method) and choreographies which assume you can watch what they do and follow along.

Good luck

Hi,

I do not affirm that I am experienced. :( I just want to know more. Would you suggest me the name of instructional videos?

Now I assert that I am just a beginner of this miracle art and still be beginner.

Kashmir

Hi,

I do not affirm that I am experienced. :( I just want to know more. Would you suggest me the name of instructional videos?

Now I assert that I am just a beginner of this miracle art and still be beginner.
What have you already worked with? And for how long?

trang1808

to kashmir: I do not understand that question. I do not joke. :( I have been studying basic and practicing to combine them together.

Ya I have been studying this ... art :dance:(I always use 'wonderful' and 'miracle' to express but now I want to say more than it):D for 2 years. In 2 previous month recently, I had an excited gift from my very very special friend. They are 2 instructional DVDs for beginners. With them, I consult more on youtube.:rolleyes:

No words can express my love for belly dance. Maybe I have an addiction to this art:lol:

missanime

hi :)

there are many things you can not ever learn from a dvd - if you're doing a move incorrect you will never know that unless, like in a class, you would have the teacher there to correct you. secondly dvd's are meant to sell and to do that they make you buy one for every single thing you could've learned in a single bellydance class.

have you only done dvd's? perhaps if you tried a class you could see the difference :)

trang1808

hi :)

there are many things you can not ever learn from a dvd - if you're doing a move incorrect you will never know that unless, like in a class, you would have the teacher there to correct you. secondly dvd's are meant to sell and to do that they make you buy one for every single thing you could've learned in a single bellydance class.

have you only done dvd's? perhaps if you tried a class you could see the difference :)

oops If I had chance, I would not ask you *cry* If you find out any class in Vietnam, people whom both journalists call instructor is not real instructor. oops I do not know how to explain for you.:(

Kashmir

to kashmir: I do not understand that question. I do not joke. :( I have been studying basic and practicing to combine them together.

Ya I have been studying this ... art :dance:(I always use 'wonderful' and 'miracle' to express but now I want to say more than it):D for 2 years. In 2 previous month recently, I had an excited gift from my very very special friend. They are 2 instructional DVDs for beginners. With them, I consult more on youtube.:rolleyes:

No words can express my love for belly dance. Maybe I have an addiction to this art:lol:
Hi, I was wondering whose DVDs you are studying with. That is the name of the instructor and the name of the DVD. If you have two DVDs I would think you still had more work to do after only two months :) - I know I made one of Shareen el Safy's last more like 6 months.

I know you do not have access to a live teacher - but some feedback from a teacher could help - before you get into bad habits.

janaki

Hi there,

As everyone said it here no dvds or youtube clips are substitute for a love teacher/teaching. I am sorry to hear that you have no access to it. I think you wrote to my studio few months ago. I just sent you a private message and hope to hear from you.

Rgds
Janaki

trang1808

Hi, I was wondering whose DVDs you are studying with. That is the name of the instructor and the name of the DVD. If you have two DVDs I would think you still had more work to do after only two months :) - I know I made one of Shareen el Safy's last more like 6 months.

I know you do not have access to a live teacher - but some feedback from a teacher could help - before you get into bad habits.

I have been practicing Trisnasary dvd and michelle dvd. See ya I am practicing everyday.

oops how could I have feedback if there is no real instructor near my place.:think:

Kashmir

I have been practicing Trisnasary dvd and michelle dvd. See ya I am practicing everyday.

oops how could I have feedback if there is no real instructor near my place.:think:
Sorry, I don't know those DVDs so I'm unsure what level or style you are working on.

If you have access to a video camera you could video yourself and send the film to a teacher to critique. It'd have to be a hard copy - not 5 minutes on YouTube. (When I studied to learn to teach dance we did that and it worked very well. First I got a friend to video me while I was teaching. Then I watched it and decided what I was doing right and wrong then I sent the analysis and tape to my teacher. She watched the video and agreed/disagreed with what I thought of my teaching and sent ideas to try. I'd try them a few weeks then video a class again)

If you are doing it for dance, you'd need to start with videoing basic movements - showing all your body - including legs, knees and feet. You'd probably have to do it front on and side on. Once this has been okayed, then you could start looking at transitions and musicality etc.

Sita

Well you obviously have a devotion and passion for the dance :) - I think it's a shame that you can't get a tutor. Of course videos then become the only option but I think Kashmir's idea about recording yourself dancing the basics and sending it to a tutor for correction/imput. Prehaps you should e-mail some asking if this is possible :)
I would prehaps look into doing this before getting instructional DVDs by other people (keep to the same DVD instructors) as everyone always has a different way of showing a move and does it differently so without a face-to-face teacher to guide you it could become rather confusing.

Good Luck :D
Sita

trang1808

Sorry, I don't know those DVDs so I'm unsure what level or style you are working on.

If you have access to a video camera you could video yourself and send the film to a teacher to critique. It'd have to be a hard copy - not 5 minutes on YouTube. (When I studied to learn to teach dance we did that and it worked very well. First I got a friend to video me while I was teaching. Then I watched it and decided what I was doing right and wrong then I sent the analysis and tape to my teacher. She watched the video and agreed/disagreed with what I thought of my teaching and sent ideas to try. I'd try them a few weeks then video a class again)

If you are doing it for dance, you'd need to start with videoing basic movements - showing all your body - including legs, knees and feet. You'd probably have to do it front on and side on. Once this has been okayed, then you could start looking at transitions and musicality etc.

oh thank you very much, Sita. Ya I have filmed some videos and sent to my friend (she learns belly dance too, I do not deal with her name or her living, trust me that I believe her)

I will film another videos.

trang1808

Well you obviously have a devotion and passion for the dance :) - I think it's a shame that you can't get a tutor. Of course videos then become the only option but I think Kashmir's idea about recording yourself dancing the basics and sending it to a tutor for correction/imput. Prehaps you should e-mail some asking if this is possible :)
I would prehaps look into doing this before getting instructional DVDs by other people (keep to the same DVD instructors) as everyone always has a different way of showing a move and does it differently so without a face-to-face teacher to guide you it could become rather confusing.

Good Luck :D
Sita

thank you very much, Sita. Ya I have special love for belly dance. I feel peace in my heart whenever I practice or listen to music. I want to dance, however, it seems strange so I stay one place and do movements:lol: