perfect practice anyone?

Ahava_Melantha

i keep on hearing about how PERFECT practice and not mindless practice makes perfect.

how exactly does one put this into practice.

honestly in my experience, learning moves and practicing putting them in choreography helps me because then I see what is possible. helps me be a better dancer ( I hope) hehe

any ideas?

Kashmir

Basically by giving you practice all your attention. Watch your technique - stop when it isn't right and correct it. Slow it down if need be.

When practicing a choreography don't always run it all the way through. Work on any particular sections that you have problems with ie you may work 30 minutes on a 5 second sequence - then put it into the whole thing.

Shanazel

Mindful practice is a better phrase than perfect practice and means giving practice your whole attention and not letting half your mind wander off to what you have to pick up at the grocery store for dinner.

Mindful practice is excruciatingly hard. Perfect practice is impossible. ;)

Ahava_Melantha

okay, but you know what I mean. not just mindlessly learning one move and NOT knowing what to do with it.

i guess thats why sometimes, I get so proud when I learn something (on my own) of dance moves or combos I love that I have seen other dancers do, and then I can do them.

yeah. hilarious how thrilled I get.

Jane

Practice does not make perfect, practice makes permanent. How you practice is how you end up performing. :)

Ahava_Melantha

okay, thanx. that helps a bit. I also have realized a bit that I can't always exercise while watching tv shows. some stuff I really need music. I just don't have any good "practice" music. something with consistent beats.

Kashmir

okay, thanx. that helps a bit. I also have realized a bit that I can't always exercise while watching tv shows. some stuff I really need music. I just don't have any good "practice" music. something with consistent beats.
Perfect or mindful practice cannot be done while watching TV - music or not. You have to concentrate on what you are doing - and watch yourself in the mirror. Drilling for fitness can be though - but take care you don't drill in bad habits if part of you is watching the box.

Also, although there is a place for something with a consistent beat for some things it won't help your ability to belly dance - that is interpret all those odd little changes that happen in real music.

Ahava_Melantha

okay thanx. yes I know that these moves and doing them with music is totally different. I am totally aware of that. and what about those of us who do NOT have a mirror. my kidz have autism and have not calmed down yet, and the would SERIOUSLY break it.

Shanazel

I use the glass in my sliding door or the glass in my china cabinet door to reflect my image back to me. I used to practice in my backyard where I watched my shadow against the wall of the house. Where there's a will there's a way. ;)

Kashmir

okay thanx. yes I know that these moves and doing them with music is totally different. I am totally aware of that. and what about those of us who do NOT have a mirror. my kidz have autism and have not calmed down yet, and the would SERIOUSLY break it.
There are good plastic based mirrors (but they are expensive). At a night community class I take we sometimes pull the curtains back and use the ranch sliders as mirrors - true you cannot see fine detail but posture and timing is obvious.

Also consider using a video - not immediate feedback unless you feed directly into the TV - but you can spend time really looking at what you are doing.

You can even use a person if they know what to look for.

Bottom line - if you are not aware of exactly what you are doing your practice is of limited use - certainly unlikely to be perfect/mindful. Works fine for fitness ie endurance and cv but not dance. (Ever seen a serious dance studio without mirrors?)

shimmysafari

For my practice, I just place a few of these inexpensive mirrors from Target together on the floor and tilt them at an angle. It is not perfect, but it does allow me to see my form and what I'm doing incorrectly. It makes a world of difference to see yourself! :) They are not the best of quality, but the upside to this in your situation is that I think they would be quite safe around children. They are very lightweight and do not seem easily breakable.

Mirror at Target

Ahava_Melantha

thanx all for the help

I am not COMPLETELY clueless as I sometimes do dance moves in the bathroom. sort of hilarious actually.

I have noticed when I think a move is too small - its not as small as I think it is hehe

so thanx all for the advice. will add mirrors to my list. it helps.