New to dancing

SaiyukiFG

Hi there.

My friend started teaching me belly dance a few years ago. While I am naturally have an affinity for all kinds of dance, I have not been able to find a teacher or even determine which kind of style I like.

I hate some of the snobbery that comes with certain "style wars" where people talk trash about other styles being "slutty" or what have you. I feel that dance of all styles should be appreciated and respected.

I find it very near impossible to find a teacher in my area since all the classes here are fitness oriented and not geared towards technique. I'd like some advice on how to teach myself what I can and what style I might like to practice.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. Regarding your question, I suggest you ask the question in the Instructors & Students Forum as you will get more response there, rather than here in Meet & Greet.

Also search for DVD threads which will also mention DVDs suitable for beginners.
~Mosaic

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Welcome to the group. I agree with Mosaic about posting the same question in that other group. Not many check in the meet and greet threads.

Corylus

Hi there.
I hate some of the snobbery that comes with certain "style wars" where people talk trash about other styles being "slutty" or what have you. I feel that dance of all styles should be appreciated and respected.

I find it very near impossible to find a teacher in my area since all the classes here are fitness oriented and not geared towards technique. I'd like some advice on how to teach myself what I can and what style I might like to practice.

Dear SaiyukiFG,

Welcome to the forum :D

I don't like snobbery either, but I am sure you will find that hardly any of that goes on here!

Regarding 'style wars' I think people will always have differing opinions between the styles they like and the styles they don't. Providing no one gets insulted for it then I think it's fine to disagree over these things.

With reference to using the term 'slutty' there have been many discussions about 'sexed up' belly dancing and belly dancers as you will see if you look through past threads on the forum. As with the styles, everyone has their own opinion about what is appropriate and what is inappropriate.

That's the beauty of the forum; we can all discuss aspects of belly dance with people who are from all over the world and have very different experiences and opinions.

Hope you enjoy it here!

With regards to a tutor, as others have suggested, look in the instructors and students section.

For the different styles of belly dancing there are lots of threads which discuss the styles; there are lots of them! Look up videos on youtube and see what styles you like to watch, I find that's a good indication of styles you might enjoy dancing to (for me anyway).

All the best!

Corylus

Greek Bonfire

I started out with Jillina Instructional DVDs Levels 1-3 and also her Drum Solo instructional DVD by IAMED. Since you have already been somewhat self-taught, I think you will like these because they push you along pretty fast.

If you want to start out with step-by-step, Neena and Veena have some good instructional videos to get you started, and Jenna's "Heartbeat of the Drum" and Sara Skinner's veil technique are also wonderful for learning drum solos and using veil.

nightdancer

Also, there are a fair few from Oregon here. Ask about and you may find "friends of friends" that, while they do not hold formal classes for whatever reason, do teach privately.

SaiyukiFG

Thanks for the welcome. <3 I've emailed a lady named Galadriel who is apparently a friend of the lady who runs my town's troupe. I am waiting to hear from her. But in the meantime I'll look up these DVDs you've all recommended.