Something about bellydance course

milky

I took a intermediate bellydance course. It was over about half an month ago. I don't know if it can be called a 'course'. I mean it seems that the teacher isn't that professional. During the entire course, she just demonstrated a piece of dance to us(sorry for my poor English,hope that u can get it).Could anyone be pleased to tell me what you can learn in such kind of course?
Actually, it is really hard to find a professional bellydance teacher in my hometown. So I decide to do bellydance practice myself until I find such one.
Anyone can gimme some tips on arranging such practice at home?:think:

Last edited:
Hi Milky, It sounds like you had a one day seminar. Sorry you didn't get much out of it, did you take notes dring the seminar? Was there music available for purchase? Aziyade posted suggestions for home practice and it's very helpful as a guide:Look under "Instructors and Students" for thread called Creating practice tips". Hope this helps.
Yasmine

milky

Hi Milky, It sounds like you had a one day seminar. Sorry you didn't get much out of it, did you take notes dring the seminar? Was there music available for purchase? Aziyade posted suggestions for home practice and it's very helpful as a guide:Look under "Instructors and Students" for thread called Creating practice tips". Hope this helps.
Yasmine

Thank u, Yasmine. Actually it was not a one day seminar. The course last for 8 weeks( once a week), one hour and a half each time. All that I could learn in the class was how to perform a certain piece of dance. But I'm afraid it's not what I want(not all I want,at lease).:(

Zumarrad

Could this have been a beginner's course where the teacher was teaching you the same moves by repetition?

milky

Could this have been a beginner's course where the teacher was teaching you the same moves by repetition?

No,I'm afraid it isn't. I once took the beginner's course(similar to which u spoke of) in the same place.:(

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Belly dance course

Dear Milky,
It sounds like the instructor was teaching a choreography while you were looking for a technique class.
I do not have an "intermediate" class as such because I structure my classes differently. My beginning clasds lasts about a year until students have all basic skills under their belts, then we move into continuing class, where we learn more about movement in depth, learn more about all of the things that we were introduced to in the first year, such as in depth study of movement families, more on music in depth, more on distinct parts of the belly dance routine, etc.
If I were you, to practice at home, I would invest in some good teaching DVDs, starting with a basic class plan and ending up with more advanced things later in your year. Practice one DVD until you feel that you have really gotten the information out of it. Then move on.
Meanwhile, I would also advise that you attend workshops from various instructors to keep you in touch with the belly dance community and what is happening, and to hopefully give yourself a chance to grow with a live guiding hand.
Best wishes to you and I hope that you can eventually find a live instructor.
Regards,
A'isha

Lydia

something about bellydance course

Hi Milky,i have a friend that has a school in Tokyo,she knows a lot of teachers in the far east,and she is a real nice lady, you can send her a email ,she perhaps can help you to find a new teacher in Shanghai her name is Misjaal and this is her email misjaal@hpo.net........goodluck and happy dancing regards Lydia

milky

I'm very very grateful for the replies of all the ladies.:)

Hi,Lydia. u do do me a big favor ! As A'isha said, I really need a good bellydance teacher for instruction.

A'isha,I'll definitely learn to bellydance step by step. It just remind me of an old Chinese saying'路漫漫其修远兮,吾将上下而求索。(Life is a grand task to perform and a long way to go.And I'll definitely try my best to achieve it.)' And here,may I use "bellydance' instead of 'life' :D

Sara,I've got some Dvds-(Jillina's、Suhaila's、Sonia's ,etc.) Thanks anyway;)

Last edited:

da Sage

Hi Milky,

It is hard for me to learn dance that way (from choreography), but I think it is also good exercise for my brain.

I think if that class/teacher doesn't work for you, that you should find another teacher, or work from videos. But if teachers are too hard to find, you can try this teacher again after a few months...maybe she changes her focus from course to course, or maybe after video study, you will see more things in her dance than you saw before.

milky

Hi Milky,

I think if that class/teacher doesn't work for you, that you should find another teacher, or work from videos. But if teachers are too hard to find, you can try this teacher again after a few months...maybe she changes her focus from course to course, or maybe after video study, you will see more things in her dance than you saw before.

Maybe u r right.:lol:
As more and more people love and start learning to bellydance in China, I believe that there'll be more good bellydance teachers that come here. I hope that I'll find such one before long.;)

milky

Hi Lydia. Is the email address you give(misjaal@hpo.net) available?:think:

I sent email to this address twice.But both of them were undeliverable.:(

Aisha Azar

Belly dance course

Dear Milky,
I have three Chinese students. One is from Mainland China. She calls herself Shaye for Americans. Her Chinese name is very difficult for Americans to pronounce. Then I also have Emma (Chi Chuan) from Taiwan and Namva, who is Chinese American but has spent much time in China.
Regards,
A'isha

milky

Dear Milky,
I have three Chinese students. One is from Mainland China. She calls herself Shaye for Americans. Her Chinese name is very difficult for Americans to pronounce. Then I also have Emma (Chi Chuan) from Taiwan and Namva, who is Chinese American but has spent much time in China.
Regards,
A'isha

If only I had time and could afford going abroad to learn to bellydance.:pray:

Lydia

Hi Milky,i know that she is not much of a compy person (like myself) so perhaps her mailbox is full but the adres is correct...try to go in her website if you can www.hpo.net/users/mishaal/contents/ you please try to find her website you wil get there also this is her tel number if you realy get stuck +81-3-3402-3564.......i wil ask a student of mine aswell she is chinees and she has some info about what is going on on your site,of the globe dont give up you get there ,please let me know how you get on....regards Lydia

milky

Hi Milky,i know that she is not much of a compy person (like myself) so perhaps her mailbox is full but the adres is correct...try to go in her website if you can www.hpo.net/users/mishaal/contents/ you please try to find her website you wil get there also this is her tel number if you realy get stuck +81-3-3402-3564.......i wil ask a student of mine aswell she is chinees and she has some info about what is going on on your site,of the globe dont give up you get there ,please let me know how you get on....regards Lydia

That‘s very very kind of u to gimme so much advice and information! Thank u very much, Lydia.:)

Lydia

You are most welcome Milky....have a nice day...Lydia