Looking for some khaligi performers!!!

Nur Al Leyali

HI AND SALAM ,
I was just wondering if you have some resources on good dvds or the like or advice in khaligi because in alabama they dont teach it and its not easy to perform from sight and i got a request for a belly dance khaligi fusion recently and to be completly honest i look like a retard i posted a youtube video to see responce for it and i got great responce butttt i know khaligi ima fan i know my fusion looks like poo sooo i need some help here is the video u can see what i mean.. i am in a tribal costume because that was what i was performing in and this was practice before so i decided to look at my khaligi bellydance fusion and it was horrid to me everyone else loved it but i hate it with all my heart and soul... any performers feel like hlping me out a lil.
regards Nura

dont laugh to hard it took me two weeks to have the nerve to ask for help!!!

gisela

Super Moderator
Khaled Mahmoud

Aisha Azar

Liza Laziza

Maria Aya

Popular khaleegy song with Husein
(This "cute" video was the only one I could find)

Hi Nur,

I will write my disclaimer which is: I'm not a teacher or proffessional dancer and not very experienced with Khaleegy.

I have very recently taken two workshops on Khaleegy, one was with Liza Laziza, so that's why I'm taking an interest in your post and I hope that some more advice will come up so I can learn more :D

IMHO it doesn't quite make it khaleegy fusion to add some hair tosses to bellydance. You can use hair tosses in BD for accents or drama anyway.

Both the teachers I had also said to spare the hair thing for later in the performance, meaning don't do the climax too early or you will already have shown all you've got and not have more left.

I think it's pretty difficult to do a good fusion unless you are proficient in both styles but maybe not impossible;).

Zills in my opinion makes it one element too many, a bit confusing, works great with BD or tribal but in BD- Khaleegy fusion, I don't quite see the place for them, what do others think?

I would love to see some traveling with the limpy step ad some cute fast shouldershimmies and some "feeling the music with you head"-moves as that for me gives more khaleggy feeling.

Basically it's all in the music choice, right?
The music MariaAya is dancing to is kinda a fusion as it has a drumsolo part and a more khaleegyish part.

I included a song that is very common and popular, you probably know it already. I love it, it so boppy and I just get that great limpy feel when I hear it :D
Hope something was of value to you as advice or as a start on further discussion.
Good luck
Regards Gisela

Aisha Azar

[
QUOTE=Nur Al Leyali;94652]HI AND SALAM ,
I was just wondering if you have some resources on good dvds or the like or advice in khaligi because in alabama they dont teach it and its not easy to perform from sight and i got a request for a belly dance khaligi fusion recently and to be completly honest i look like a retard i posted a youtube video to see responce for it and i got great responce butttt i know khaligi ima fan i know my fusion looks like poo sooo i need some help here is the video u can see what i mean.. i am in a tribal costume because that was what i was performing in and this was practice before so i decided to look at my khaligi bellydance fusion and it was horrid to me everyone else loved it but i hate it with all my heart and soul... any performers feel like hlping me out a lil.
regards Nura

dont laugh to hard it took me two weeks to have the nerve to ask for help!!!
[/QUOTE]

Dear Nur,
If you are interested in bringing me to your region to teach Gulf/Saudi dance in your region, please contact me privately. I am considered to be one of the "experts" in this dance form.. I teach three different versions of the dance and also give out info on how to make thobes. The dance is not something you can learn from video, any more than you can learn belly dance from video before having a pretty good background in the dance.
Regards,
A'isha

da Sage

Did you get an online request for Khaleegy fusion, or is this for a local performance?

Your video is fine to share with friends for fun, but you wouldn't want to perform this for other dancers who are "in the know" about Khaleegy, while you are trying to build your local reputation.

I agree, drop the zills for this. IMO Khaleegy done well does not need fusion or out-of-style ornamentation...it is a flowy/groove-building dance, not a Look! Boom! Surprise! dance.

I haven't really studied Khaleegy; I only had half a class on it, but I think it's much harder than it looks.

Marya

Dear Nur,
If you are interested in bringing me to your region to teach Gulf/Saudi dance in your region, please contact me privately. I am considered to be one of the "experts" in this dance form.. I teach three different versions of the dance and also give out info on how to make thobes. The dance is not something you can learn from video, any more than you can learn belly dance from video before having a pretty good background in the dance.
Regards,
A'isha[/QUOTE][[/QUOTE]

Nur,

I am one of Aisha's private students and have taken several Khaligie workshops from her as well as private classes. She is one of very few teachers who teach real, authentic Gulf dance. There are a few performance videos out there from Saut wa Sura that are from Kuwait or nearby countries that show how the dance is actually performed.

Aisha accurately captures the essence, as she would say, of the Gulf Style. I call it the energy. When you are swathed in a thobe projecting the energy of the dance is vital since movement doesn't show up all that much.

I recently saw Aisha perform a Bedouin version of Gulf Dance where she was swathed head to toe in black, only her eyes showing, yet it was an incredible performance, her energy just vibrated throughout the room.

Well worth sponsoring her to teach.

And no, she doesn't pay me to write testimonials.

Marya

Aisha Azar

Gulf, etc.

Dear Marya,
Thank you!! I loved performing the dance and am glad it came across as I hoped it would!! I hope to be able to teach it some day as well, but don't feel quite prepared yet on this particular one.
Regards,
A'isha

Nur Al Leyali

i wrote a big message but it got ate by the computer monster sorry guys not a lot of time to respond, I will come back later and write you guys! Miss Aisha Azar my email is tmagill@ymail.com write me with any workshops or rates or travel costs you may have and i will get back with you asap. and by the way you come with a great recomendation Some one I cant mention absolutly loves u And I trust her. your a great teacher and you should be proud of yourself because a friend of mine is A bit of a picky person and she said you were wondeful. and strict in a funny way ..... Thanks guys ill write back to your responses asap ... Luv u guys!!! Nura:dance:

Nur Al Leyali

i just watched my own khaligi video again and to me it looks like khaligi on speed or some other drug of the same form. hahahahaha i look rediculous in a funny entertaining way omg !!!;)

Aisha Azar

Dance etc.

i wrote a big message but it got ate by the computer monster sorry guys not a lot of time to respond, I will come back later and write you guys! Miss Aisha Azar my email is tmagill@ymail.com write me with any workshops or rates or travel costs you may have and i will get back with you asap. and by the way you come with a great recomendation Some one I cant mention absolutly loves u And I trust her. your a great teacher and you should be proud of yourself because a friend of mine is A bit of a picky person and she said you were wondeful. and strict in a funny way ..... Thanks guys ill write back to your responses asap ... Luv u guys!!! Nura:dance:

Dear Nur,
I am happy that you checked around about me. It is the best way to find out about people! Teaching is my passion more than performing even. I simply LOVE it. My rates are no secret and I post them for anyone to see.
They are as follows:
Travel expenses are paid by the hosts.
I can stay with anyone who has a clean house and no big spiders or other vermin instead of staying in a hotel. In fact I prefer to because its more fun that way. I usually travel with my own coffee!!
My current rates for 3 hour workshops are $25 per student, with a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 30. tjis leaves plenty of room for the host to tack on their expense fees and maybe make a little money besides. I prefer to teach in a room with mirrors, but everything else is negotiable. I advise people to try to find reasonable rates for events venues as they are not going to make a fortune with me because of my maximum requirements. I teach for three hours only because this seems to be the optimum number of hours for most people to learn. After that they tend to fade out and not remember the class material as well. I also usually teach technique and not choreography. I am open to teaching more than one workshop over a week-end and private and semi-private classes as well.
If there is a performance, I charge $50 to dance in the show. If the hosts allow it, I like to do both a belly dance and one folkloric dance.
If you are interested in sponsoring me, we can email privately and decide what subjects are of interest to you and the dancers in your region. Then I will send you a detailed syllabus if the class material and we can make sure its what you want.
I will email you privately with a list of subjects, because it can get pretty complicated when we are trying to hone down exactly what you might want.
Thanks you for getting in touch with me and I would love to come to teach in your area. Please tell your secret friend that I thank her very much for the words of praise. I hope to find out who this mystery person is soon!
Regards,
A'isha

Nur Al Leyali

Dear Nur,
I am happy that you checked around about me. It is the best way to find out about people! Teaching is my passion more than performing even. I simply LOVE it. My rates are no secret and I post them for anyone to see.
They are as follows:
Travel expenses are paid by the hosts.
I can stay with anyone who has a clean house and no big spiders or other vermin instead of staying in a hotel. In fact I prefer to because its more fun that way. I usually travel with my own coffee!!
My current rates for 3 hour workshops are $25 per student, with a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 30. tjis leaves plenty of room for the host to tack on their expense fees and maybe make a little money besides. I prefer to teach in a room with mirrors, but everything else is negotiable. I advise people to try to find reasonable rates for events venues as they are not going to make a fortune with me because of my maximum requirements. I teach for three hours only because this seems to be the optimum number of hours for most people to learn. After that they tend to fade out and not remember the class material as well. I also usually teach technique and not choreography. I am open to teaching more than one workshop over a week-end and private and semi-private classes as well.
If there is a performance, I charge $50 to dance in the show. If the hosts allow it, I like to do both a belly dance and one folkloric dance.
If you are interested in sponsoring me, we can email privately and decide what subjects are of interest to you and the dancers in your region. Then I will send you a detailed syllabus if the class material and we can make sure its what you want.
I will email you privately with a list of subjects, because it can get pretty complicated when we are trying to hone down exactly what you might want.
Thanks you for getting in touch with me and I would love to come to teach in your area. Please tell your secret friend that I thank her very much for the words of praise. I hope to find out who this mystery person is soon!
Regards,
A'isha

Miss Aisha,
I very much like the Idea Of every thing you have included... I am going to check about the costs to rent a dance studio, For a week end and I believe we can arrange more of this in a email later ,,, Your going to love how quiet and serene alabama really can be. maybe more of a vacation then work!
I will write another email later on some things I need to know.. I will See Later ( inshallah) Regards, Nura

Aisha Azar

Workshop

Miss Aisha,
I very much like the Idea Of every thing you have included... I am going to check about the costs to rent a dance studio, For a week end and I believe we can arrange more of this in a email later ,,, Your going to love how quiet and serene alabama really can be. maybe more of a vacation then work!
I will write another email later on some things I need to know.. I will See Later ( inshallah) Regards, Nura

Dear Nura,
Thank you and I will look forward to hearing from you soon.
Regards,
A'isha