Question: What would be the 3 most basic move a beginners should learn first?

vinstones

Yes, Lydia...

I certainly agree that having fun and enjoying the dance is one of the best way to learn bellly dancing effortlessy and enjoining it at the same time!.
(IMHO)

anyway I enjoy doing my amaturish move together when my wife is doing her "serious practice".

what great fun!:lol:

Kiraze

Hi Vincent, do you know is it possible for you to join classes with your wife as that would be fun - who is her teacher? Unfortunately there are not many male students and some dance schools do not allow men to participate but there is at least one professional male dancer in Singapore (Darren of Pyramid Dancer) so at least there are others who are interested :)

For basic moves I would suggest at first learn correct posture and then how to isolate upper and lower body with simple movements and then to learn the difference between soft movements (like circles and figure 8) and sharp movements (like shimmies, pumps and drops) - adding steps and arm and hand movements should not be hurried until the basis is strong enough so the student can do all the moves correctly even when steps and "decorations" are added.

vinstones

Hi Kiraze,

Thanks, I didn't know about that.

I'd admit in most situation, I not a shy person...

But :) to join an all women belly dancing class would be a little over what I can handle at the moment.

So meantime, I'd stick with having fun practicing with her at home...
minus the limelight..

I think I'm learning the circle and figure 8 rite now..
But I always enjoy watching the full dance combination of arms and body!

Right now as I'm typing, I'm actually doing some blogging and surfing outside the community club waiting for her class to end..
This is a picture taken hot on the spot with my cellphone (yeah, its evening time now..)

btw. can you guess the location of this picture?;)

Moon

If I may guess... the Singapore airport? (I've been there once for a couple of hours, only saw the airport :( so couldn't do another guess ;))

vinstones

If I may guess... the Singapore airport? (I've been there once for a couple of hours, only saw the airport :( so couldn't do another guess ;))

Nope.. its not the airport..

Although I love to be surfing from there..

The wireless connection at the airport is not free and Its takes about 40 mintues to travel from my place to the airport..

Hmm, but the airport (Singapore Changi Airport) is a nice place really..
Good try Moon..;)

Kiraze

btw. can you guess the location of this picture?;)
Hmmm... where could I find CC and post office at the same building? Only place I know of is at Choa Chu Kang but this picture does not look like that... at least this is not "at my neighbourhood"... but if thinking that your wife probably goes to classes near your home and it takes 40 minutes to Changi (although I don´t know if this is by MRT or car) I would guess that this is somewhere at the North or West - Choa Chu Kang could fit that criteria too... but then again I do not think that they have belly dance classes :think:

vinstones

Hmmm... where could I find CC and post office at the same building? Only place I know of is at Choa Chu Kang but this picture does not look like that... at least this is not "at my neighbourhood"... but if thinking that your wife probably goes to classes near your home and it takes 40 minutes to Changi (although I don´t know if this is by MRT or car) I would guess that this is somewhere at the North or West - Choa Chu Kang could fit that criteria too... but then again I do not think that they have belly dance classes :think:
Hi Kiraze,

Good deduction you have here..but..

Nope not Choa Chu Kang..
(U got the North partially correct.. It's at North-East area..)

Yeah, Its rare to have a Community Club + Post Office + (theres more!) + Polyclinic + Police Post + A Few Children Learning Programs Providers in 1 Building.

And Its just across the road from a MRT Station + LRT Interchange + A Big Shopping Centre.

Oh, the above clues are really close..:shok:

Kiraze

heh, we are far off-topic here but my final guess is Sengkang - in fact I have never been there just once gone through it when by curiosity wanted to check where all the MRT lines are going... otherwise I am stuck on the West :lol:

vinstones

Spot on Kiraza!!!

heh, we are far off-topic here but my final guess is Sengkang - in fact I have never been there just once gone through it when by curiosity wanted to check where all the MRT lines are going... otherwise I am stuck on the West :lol:
:clap: :dance:

I know we're off topic here...
But I can't resist this final post on the unofficial "Guess the Place" post..

I am amazed!!.. ha ha ha

But You got it Spot On.. It is Sengkang Community hub

Well done...

And to bring this back to topic like when it started..

They conduct various classes here.. and my wife happen to took up Belly Dance for Beginners lesson they provide..

It's nearing the end of the 8 lessons..

They cover basic hip movement, shimming, hip thrust, shoulder movement, chest lift...

From the past threads of this post, their basics moves taught seems decent..

least it becomes overwhelming for beginners..

I'll go check the full list of movements covered and update on this post by doing an "edit.."

vinstones

Got it,

This is the Structure of the Beginners BellyDance my wife attended:

- Hip Circles
- Hip Sides
- Hip Drops (Front and sides)
- Chest Drops
- Shimmy (Body, Walk with Shimmy, Shoulder Bent and Front)
- Step Touch with 4 Arm Styles (Genie, L, Snake, Latin)
- Step Twist Circle
- Step Twist
- Step Turn
- Bum Shake
- Bicycle Hips
- Hip Twist
- Pelvic Drop
- Rip Circle (Diagonal, Horizontal, Contraction)
- Undulations
- Accents
- Step Turn
- Pivot Turn
- Stage Poise

Although, I have not personally seen her doing all the above steps, could imagine if it is all well coordinated.. should be a wonderful feast for the eyes

Shanazel

Bum shake? Bicycle hips? Rip circle?

Talk about regional differences in terminology. I cannot tell you the picture these phrases bring to mind:) . I'm glad the two of you are enjoying yourselves. Does she post here, too?

vinstones

Hi Shanazel,

Glad you asked,

I have not figure that out myself..
and the structure lack of a dance diagram just leave it all to ones imagination..

No, not yet.. In Singapore I guess there are higher percentage of Male user in forum and internet usage.

Not sure if she's still techophobic or got hooked on shaking her bums as her favourite past time..

But she'll definately be joining this forum once I upgrade my broadband access to 12mbps later this month.. then she'll be bellydancing highspeed..:lol:

vinstones

Bum shake? Bicycle hips? Rip circle?

Talk about regional differences in terminology. I cannot tell you the picture these phrases bring to mind:) . I'm glad the two of you are enjoying yourselves. Does she post here, too?

Hi Shanazel,

She (doristlc) aka (my wife) registered and did her first post here yesterday..

btw.. what are the pictures going in your mind when u heard :
Bum shake, Bicycle hips, Rip circle..

I'm dying to know out of curiosity :think:

Shanazel

Oh, my, I'd be embarrassed to tell you that I understand vulgar Americanisms, and I would have to admit to it in order to explain.

vinstones

Oh my, now my curiosity is getting the better of me!..

I'm open to learn new cultural jargon,

and "vulgar Americanisms" is not something I could find in the encyclopedia..

Who knows, someone might come out with a totally new bellydance move thru your sharing of imagination..

or you could pm me with your description, I'll do my best to cleanse it for the benefit of all here! :dance:

Fire Lily

3 basic moves

I'm no teacher....yet, but I think what's important is working on correct posture and basic core moves for flexability. Like rib cage circles, slides and lifts. Hip slides, circles, lifts, drops, and locks. Shimmies, figure eights, snake arms and undulations.
More then three moves I realise.

Fire Lily

Miss_Winnii

I tried, but I cant Think you should learn the basic steps in bellydance in tree things, I should try three different steps, and some different arm positions that can be combined

vinstones

Yes, Miss Winnii and firelily..

I've realised it's difficult to just shortlist to 3,

but with all the different views offered by so many experienced and new comer alike.

Some of my beginners friends and myself are starting to get a sense of some basic steps to start off.

Wonderful input you've given!

Princess

I just arrive from Egypt I was there for 2 weeks to teach beginners and I think the most important is to make the students laugh to feel them good...as for starting I started with the basic steps and continue with hips circles etc. I jus wanted to share this with you :)

On other way (my opinion,dont take it wrong) I have to say so long you dont start from small child to learn this dance I dont think that you will ever managed ! I worked and work with many people and I make myself this Idee!

Lots of love,
Princess

Last edited:

Moon

Princess said:
On other way (my opinion,dont take it wrong) I have to say so long you dont start from small child to learn this dance I dont think that you will ever managed ! I worked and work with many people and I make myself this Idee!

This could be true for a lot of people, however there are also lots of counter examples, fortunately! Not that I think there's something wrong with your opinion, I only hope you don't tell your students this, might be very discouraging.
I started at age 20 (almost 21) and I'm dancing little over a year now. Though I don't consider myself extremely talented, I don't think I will never manage to do it. I will probably be less good then people who that started earlier, but hey, I can still be good! :dance:
A nice example came from one of the forum members here (sorry I don't remember who) who knows a lady that started at age 75 or so and is dancing for more then 10 years now. She dances with a sword and is very popular.
How encouraging is that? :D