Belly Dance Teacher training/certification

rsps

So, I have been thinking for a while about getting a certification in training and have been looking at Shemiran Ibrahim's online program.
I've read many positive reviews of it, including some old discussions here on this site.
Does any one currently on this site of experience with this program. What was your experience?

Thank you!

rsps

Oh thank you, that is comprehensive. But it leads me to another question...Mosaic commented that she was going to look for Shemiran's training program second hand... I thought there was an actual certification that went along with completing the program?
Can anyone speak to this particular aspect of it. I know that some just say to get a certification as a personal trainer etc. But I want to do the Belly Dance specific training because it breaks down how to teach the style and the body movement which will probably benefit me as well.

Yame

Out of curiosity, why do you want or think you need certification in the first place?

rsps

Ok, where to start with this...
Well, I am almost four odd years into my own belly dance journey and recently started student teaching basics only with my own teacher. I love her dearly but feel I need not only to understand much more (with my limited ability to spend time traveling to do weekend workshops I have three children and a very busy spouse) and also need to learn how to break down movement in a manner more accessible.

I read a lot about this particular program and many people said that not only did it help them intuit the movement and history of belly dance better themselves but gave them a sense of how to impart that to others.

I love the exchange that happens when one teaches belly dance, I found that having to explain the movement to others has actually taught me more about what I am doing.

Of course I am worlds away from where many people are on this site...but I am eager to learn and love the dance.

Phew...does that explain?

shiradotnet

Out of curiosity, why do you want or think you need certification in the first place?

Years ago, when I was brand-new to teaching, I wanted to take the teaching certification program offered by a certain person that I respected. My reason for wanting to take it was to learn the material that she offered. The certificate at the end wasn't important to me, but the education provided along the way was important to me.

Life got in the way, and I never took the course. If I had taken it, I would have included the fact that I obtained that certification in my bio. Why? Because even though her certification program never became widely known, I feel that completing it served as evidence that I cared enough about my students to seek education in the craft of teaching belly dance.

Are there other ways to learn such material? Yes, of course. Are there other ways to show that I care about providing a quality classroom experience? Yes. But that didn't stop me from thinking that this particular certification course could be a good fit with what I was looking for.

Last edited:

Darshiva

So, I have been thinking for a while about getting a certification in training and have been looking at Shemiran Ibrahim's online program.
I've read many positive reviews of it, including some old discussions here on this site.
Does any one currently on this site of experience with this program. What was your experience?

Thank you!

Yes I have. I was in the first group to do her teacher training (as opposed to the teaching resource she provides that goes hand in hand with it - which I think is what Mosaic was debating doing). If you get the opportunity, do the teacher training with her. It is comprehensive and covers every aspect of teaching I could think of. Two years down the track, I have yet to find a topic that I either wish she'd covered or had covered in more detail.

I'd recommend the teacher resource to teachers who want something close to had for research & further education purposes.

Last edited:

Yame

Years ago, when I was brand-new to teaching, I wanted to take the teaching certification program offered by a certain person that I respected. My reason for wanting to take it was to learn the material that she offered. The certificate at the end wasn't important to me, but the education provided along the way was important to me.

Life got in the way, and I never took the course. If I had taken it, I would have included the fact that I obtained that certification in my bio. Why? Because even though her certification program never became widely known, I feel that completing it served as evidence that I cared enough about my students to seek education in the craft of teaching belly dance.

Are there other ways to learn such material? Yes, of course. Are there other ways to show that I care about providing a quality classroom experience? Yes. But that didn't stop me from thinking that this particular certification course could be a good fit with what I was looking for.

Yes, that makes sense. There are a few dancers out there who, if they offered certification and weren't half a world away from me, I would aspire to be certified by them. This is because I like their style, I like their methodology, so to me it would mean a lot to have their approval.

I think this is different from wanting certification just for the sake of wanting certification, though. There are a lot of people out there whose certification would mean nothing to me.

Yame

I read a lot about this particular program and many people said that not only did it help them intuit the movement and history of belly dance better themselves but gave them a sense of how to impart that to others.

If you do end up on this program, please let us know how it worked out for you!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I bought her course, as well as Taaj's.

For me, I got a lot more out of Taaj's. I felt like Shemiramen's is very good, but it does teach focus on teaching "her way" -- which is fine, but I preferred Taaj's "no style focus" method.

If you are brand new to teaching and never have really thought about how to explain the movements before, Shemiramin's is good. Taaj's goes into a LOT more detail on creating a class, musicality and rhythm, and teaching improv and choreography.

I might consider selling my Shemiramin package, but you do have to have bought it yourself in order to qualify for certification. I do not plan on pursuing her certification.

rsps

Thank you. I will consider this. And I want to look up taaj's as well before I make my final decision.

rsps

I'm bumping this thread. Curious to know if you decided the teacher training certification route?

Hey Lilith,
Actually I did not. I research the ones given here to me but asked around to different teachers in my area for their thoughts. They simply said it would be a waste of my money. I am taking the route of searching out various respected dancers and doing a long intensive private with them when I can. This Friday I have a 2 hr with Ranya Renee! : ) Hope that answers the question.

lilith71

Thanks RSPS I was looking into Shemiran Ibrahim's myself, but am not ready to spend that much money right now !

Darshiva

lilith71, if you want an opinion from someone who has done Shemiran's course, please contact me privately & we can discuss it. I've done her course and can give you feedback on what it's like. Also contact Mosaic, she got the dvds and has a very different opinion to me - that should give you the most balanced info about it & allow you to make your own judgement on it for when you do decide to spend on teacher training.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Do we have to do this in PMs? I'm very curious what people thought of whatever system they ended up buying or using. Why not post where everyone can benefit?

Darshiva

I just wanted to save everyone from a wall of text, that's all. I can c&p it here if there's enough interest.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I'm interested! I already posted my opinions on it, but I'm curious what others have to say, especially others who didn't have a mentor when they started teaching.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
OK my thoughts on the program -
Personally I got very little from it and feel I wasted an awful lot of money. It sounds amazing, but I was shocked that all one receives when you buy the program is a CD of music, 2 DVDs & a DVD with a few word documents, a glossy single sheet on how to use the program. Basically overall I would say no more than AUD$130 to maybe $140 worth of material. I actually got much more from various DVDs I purchased from WDNY & Cheeky Girls productions also a few other DVDs, like Nadira Jamal, Ranya Renee & Hanan Sultan. I also have 2 teachers that I have an excellent rapport with and they are really helpful, both have different teaching styles so I have taken what I feel works and applied that in my classes. I do have to say that one idea of having students face each other and work in partnership was a good one - helps break the ice with new students, but was 1, maybe 2 to 3 minute segment worth the outlay, no not for me:D

Those who actually go to Sydney and take her weekend teaching classes may get more from the DVD program. Darshiva really likes the program and she did attend the in house program, so maybe it does make a difference.

I am sure a lot of dancers love it, as she seems to draw dancers to her in house programs and those who liked it would in turn tell others who may buy the DVD set or attend. But of course on Shemiran's webpage you won't find any negative feedback only positive, so how many don't like it or didn't get much from it, are unknown as far as I can tell.

Before I bought the program I had already set out my own week by week teaching plans & handouts, and found I liked mine better than hers, but you must take my opinion as my own personal thoughts on the program. I was hoping the program would add to my teaching ideas. Maybe my expectations were high because of the cost of the program. I see she has reduced the price of the program now, but it is still in USD - that doesn't include the USD$15 postage/handling which I queried at the time, as the small package definitely doesn't cost that much to post and the packaging was all of AUD$1.50, postage would have been maximum AUD$6 add 2 dollars for petrol to go to the post office so in all it should be no more than AUD$10 to post within Aussie, to the US/UK yes very likely AUD$15.

Anyway personally, I was very disappointed with the DVD program and definitely not worth the money, but as mentioned maybe attending the in house teaching course makes a difference because you would then have the DVDs to refer to when at home.
~Mosaic