The veil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farasha Hanem

Take a look at the very topmost picture on my main page for an idea of one thing that can be done with two veils:

Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

For those just learning veil, do remember that there isn't a veil dancer on the planet who hasn't had tired arms and spent more time tangled in their veil(s) than on the outside of them! May I suggest this article on my site, "So You Want to be a Veil Dancer, Huh?":

So You Want to be a Veil Dancer, Huh?

Zorba, I absolutely adore you! :D You are so sweet and helpful; thank you. :)

I'm quickly becoming addicted to veils---they are so much fun! I've bought veil material in six different colors now, and have discovered that 90 inches is a pretty good length for me. Tonight in class I attempted a veil move I'd never tried before (but don't know what it's called). I "entered the stage" whirling the veil around me, while simultaneosly spinning to the other side of the "stage." The teacher said it looked really good, but I ended up getting dizzy! :shok: :lol: What was the name of the move I did, and how do I keep from getting dizzy while spinning?

adiemus

My veil and I have an uneasy relationship - she likes to float like a butterfly then sting like a bee when I want to do something more tricky than she thinks I'm ready for...
She delights in tangling me when I think I'm looking sooooo elegant, then she trips me up as I stand in the edge of her.
But when she and I have an agreement - it's magic!!

Aradia

I love veil, I do double 3/4 veil, just taught a workshop in Canada on it, and hope to come out with a DVD on veil and double veil soon!!

Although veil work is mainly Western or American, I think we should be proud of our contribution to the art, some of the ME dancers over there, are doing more intricate veil work as a result!!

yasmindiab

I love love love love LOVE veil.

I, infact, have performed a veil piece where I enter the stage wrapped up in my veil, and then unwrap while spinning. Nothing sexual about it, thank goodness, although I can see how people could make it sexual.

Ms. Sedonia of Carbonale has made two lovely veils for me...How big are they Sedonia? 4 1/2 yards? 4 yards? I don't remember, but they're BIG. :) (I'm tall, and I have a large armspan.) lol

Lots of fun.
A friend of mine says that veils are like cats, in the sense that they are totally unpredictable. :) I can attest to that, as I performed a piece back in September that I'd done a bunch of times with no problem, but this time, as I was "tossing" my veil over my head to get rid of it, it decided to get stuck on my head, covering my face. (I played it off by flipping the veil over my face with a surprised "here I am!" expression, and kept going....) :)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I love veil, I do double 3/4 veil, just taught a workshop in Canada on it, and hope to come out with a DVD on veil and double veil soon!!

Although veil work is mainly Western or American, I think we should be proud of our contribution to the art, some of the ME dancers over there, are doing more intricate veil work as a result!!
I'm sure a veil DVD from you would be fantastic - especially if you dance with 3/4 circles, you can show the petite dancers how to deal with them. I alternate between 1/2 circle silk, and 3/4 circle lame' for double veil - they each have their own personalities of course, but I really like my (A'Kai) silk ones. What material are your 3/4 circles?

Aradia

I use the lame for the 3/4 veils, I like fast double veil, I use it in a percussive mode, I use my silk for floaty soft veil work.

Maria_Aya

Well I guess me veils and zills have a strong hating relationship lol
They dont like me, i dont like them.
But love to watch veil special when its doen gracefully :)

Maria Aya

fadua21

Basic Veil

I found this one on YouTube...

Zorba, would you tell me what you think of this video? If this one is a good point to start learning the veil, I am to the store and buy me 3 yds of silk...

Last edited:

Gia al Qamar

I just watched the first two mins...
I can't comment on what comes after...but the 'instructor's' arm & hand positions are awful...this is a BASIC that I teach in my veil classes and workshops...arms should be fully extended, but soft, hands facing DOWN...not 'at' the audience and ribcage LIFTED.
NEVER do a 3-point turn with your eyes cast down, you need to spot or you'll get dizzy and be all over the place with your turns!
Gia

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Zorba, would you tell me what you think of this video? If this one is a good point to start learning the veil, I am to the store and buy me 3 yds of silk...
Not bad. Gia is correct in her assessment of posture gaffs (not that I'm any better myself - my instructor is always yelling at me about hands towards the audience!), but keeping this in mind this video certainly isn't going to "kill you". It has some nice basic movements in it that can help you become familiar with the veil and handling it. She seems to do better when she's actually dancing it rather than just walking through.

I was taught to hold the veil with a slight bend at the elbow - think bird wings - this gives you far more control than completely straight out. The key here is a "slight bend". Does this gal have too much? I'd say she's at the ragged edge of "too much" a couple of times, I'd use slightly less myself.

An added bonus for me is the music she uses - this tune has been on my mind for several weeks as my instructor has been playing this in class.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Well I guess my veils and zills have a strong hating relationship lol
They don't like me, i don't like them.
But love to watch veil special when its done gracefully :)

Maria Aya

One of these days I'm gonna teach a workshop called "When good veils go bad, a workshop for the veil phobic."

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I use the lame for the 3/4 veils, I like fast double veil, I use it in a percussive mode, I use my silk for floaty soft veil work.
We're opposites then! :cool: I like slow to slow-medium myself, so my silks are my favorites. Like you, I use the lame' 3/4 veils for "power double veil". I like their stability, sometimes its like I'm standing still with these veils rock steady beside me, while the world turns around us! Next time I see you (ANAS?), remind me to tell you what happened to me in a DV workshop a few years back with Kamaal! :shok:

Aradia

We're opposites then! :cool: I like slow to slow-medium myself, so my silks are my favorites. Like you, I use the lame' 3/4 veils for "power double veil". I like their stability, sometimes its like I'm standing still with these veils rock steady beside me, while the world turns around us! Next time I see you (ANAS?), remind me to tell you what happened to me in a DV workshop a few years back with Kamaal! :shok:

Ooooh, can't wait to hear the details!! I'll have a video clip up soon of my double veils, I just did a performance with my dance company doing double veil and wings, unfortunately the camera man needs his butt kicked, he zoomed in the whole time on individual dancers so we didn't get the group in unison shot!!!

I like the slow veil work when I use my 3 yard silk, but yes, the 3/4 lame' can really rock!!!

Wulpsie

Veils

I love to dance .I love the veil as it makes one feels more intune with oneself:)
The more you love your veil the more it will love you and will not eat you alive. Did my first double veil solo a few months back. Did it to a very upbeat song of Hakim. Worked very well. I also love the isis wings. Think it helps a person to have stronger arms and by doing that the chest lifts up as well, so all round the posture of the dancer is better:dance::dance:
love
with wiggles and giggles
Wulpsie

Status
Not open for further replies.