Disruptive Students

Jet Phoenix

I searched for a thread on this, but didn't find one, so if this is a repeat, I am sorry! I am also a bit upset, so if I mispell or leave out words, sorry for that too!:(

I have been teaching for 10 years now, and most of my students have been 30, 40+, and there to get some exercise, and learn a few things. I have never had any serious problems until last night. (Yes! I am grateful to have not had any problems this long!!:)

I have a few new young students (3 to be exact), in their early 20s. They have been coming for about a month now, and I haven't had any problems with them before. But last night, they were talking loudly, and disrupting the entire class. At first, I just tried to speak very loudly, hoping they would get the hint, but that didn't work. They just got louder in their talking!!

I was frustrated, and I know my students were doubly so. I thought maybe I could catch them after class and politely ask them to take the conversation outside next time. But they tend to leave right when we are starting cool down to pick up their kids.

I thought maybe I could catch them next week before class, but when I think back they are usually a little bit late. Not late enough to disturb us--usually at the end of warm up. (I tell them over and over that the warm up and cool down are very important. I don't think they beleive me. From overheard snippits of conversation, they are there to learn new dance moves for the club scene--But I mostly teach by drills, so I don't know if they will come back again in January.)

At any rate, since I can't take them aside, and I don't want any more problems, what is a good way to handle this situation? I have had three other students (rightfully!!) complain about the class last night. I would like to do it in a 'nice' way, although I know that may not work, and I might have to just tell them to please leave.

I let the other students know I was grateful they told me how they felt, and that I was a frustrated as well, and that I would find a solution before next Tuesday's beginning class.

We don't have class in December, and I start all over in January. I was thinking that maybe I need to set up some ground rules and pass them out? I hate to do that, because most of my students are level headed, compentent adults, and I don't want to belittle them, you know? But I do not ever want to have a class disrupted like that again!

Any input on how to deal with this would be appreciated very much. I think they are good kids, and that maybe they just forgot their manners that night, as folks sometimes do when they are excited about some new drama or news.

Thanks in advance!!

Phoebedances

I know how my teacher would have handled this, and did handle it a few times when we had talking during class that was disruptive.

She would not say anything, just to to the boom box that was playing the music and turn it off.. then stand quietly. When everyone looked at her as if to say, 'huh? What's going on?' She would quietly say, 'I just thought I would give you time to finish your conversation.. now that you are finished, we can continue..' Then she would start the tape again and go back to teaching as if nothing had happened.

It was VERY effective and to say the least, we rarely had disruptions. She didn't single anyone out or say names, but we all knew what she meant.

The ground rules idea would not hurt at all, I think. Those who are serious about class will feel like you are on their side and those who are not might leave, but.. speaking as someone who has been a student, but also been in a position of directing a community choir with 50 voices in it, there are times when it's good for someone to exit who is disruptive.

lizaj

I searched for a thread on this, but didn't find one, so if this is a repeat, I am sorry! I am also a bit upset, so if I mispell or leave out words, sorry for that too!:(

I have been teaching for 10 years now, and most of my students have been 30, 40+, and there to get some exercise, and learn a few things. I have never had any serious problems until last night. (Yes! I am grateful to have not had any problems this long!!:)

I have a few new young students (3 to be exact), in their early 20s. They have been coming for about a month now, and I haven't had any problems with them before. But last night, they were talking loudly, and disrupting the entire class. At first, I just tried to speak very loudly, hoping they would get the hint, but that didn't work. They just got louder in their talking!!

I was frustrated, and I know my students were doubly so. I thought maybe I could catch them after class and politely ask them to take the conversation outside next time. But they tend to leave right when we are starting cool down to pick up their kids.

I thought maybe I could catch them next week before class, but when I think back they are usually a little bit late. Not late enough to disturb us--usually at the end of warm up. (I tell them over and over that the warm up and cool down are very important. I don't think they beleive me. From overheard snippits of conversation, they are there to learn new dance moves for the club scene--But I mostly teach by drills, so I don't know if they will come back again in January.)

At any rate, since I can't take them aside, and I don't want any more problems, what is a good way to handle this situation? I have had three other students (rightfully!!) complain about the class last night. I would like to do it in a 'nice' way, although I know that may not work, and I might have to just tell them to please leave.

I let the other students know I was grateful they told me how they felt, and that I was a frustrated as well, and that I would find a solution before next Tuesday's beginning class.

We don't have class in December, and I start all over in January. I was thinking that maybe I need to set up some ground rules and pass them out? I hate to do that, because most of my students are level headed, compentent adults, and I don't want to belittle them, you know? But I do not ever want to have a class disrupted like that again!

Any input on how to deal with this would be appreciated very much. I think they are good kids, and that maybe they just forgot their manners that night, as folks sometimes do when they are excited about some new drama or news.

Thanks in advance!!

As a schoolteacher before I was ever a belly dance teacher, there's this little matter of class managment. of course with adults we expect them to have learnt behave and have manners. These are selfish and stupid students who need to be put straight. they are spoiling things for the majority.

Get them to one side after the class and spell it out.

1)Sorry you need the warm up and cool down..please don't be late for class
2)Please don't chatter especially when I am giving instructions. You will get the move wrong and may injure yourself
3) and finally if you ladies can't do this tell them this is not the class for them(in the nicest possible way).

You risk losing good students if you don't sort them..like NOW! You are in charge.
I have been in classes with whisperers,mutterers,"teachers' assistants "and they all need putting in their places. I have been in a workshop where the teacher allowed a student to take over because she had been living in Iran and showed us how to bop Persian style..we had come to learn persian Courtly.
Sorry... give students an inch and they will take a mile. child or adult!You just have to remember the adults are paying you!:)
One consolation if what you suspect is true..they'll know everything in 6 weeks won't they and be off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Marya

Do you have anyway to contact them outside of class? I collect phone numbers and e-mail addresses of everybody who takes my class and I send out e-mail reminders the day before class. If I had to that would be when i would remind students of the conduct guidelines.

I haven't ever really had too much trouble lately. I usually have very small classes. The most trouble I had recently was a very exuberant student who couldn't hold still and wiggled all over the place, but she amused the other students so no one complained.

Marya

Salome

Administrator
I don't think rules are belittling, it's reasonable to go over what is expected. I don't have a ton of rules but a few, cell phones off during class, no wearing socks, no abuse or disruptive behavior... As far as the trio you have right now; if they show up late and leave early so you can't talk privately, I'd shush them. Not in an angry librarian way, but with some diplomacy and still get the point across.

Shanazel

I am not nearly as subtle as the excellent answers above. When things threaten to get out of hand, I fall back on operatic training to raise my voice above the din and say cheerfully, "Hey, ladies, this is the part of class where you listen." (I may not sing so well, but my son once told me I can talk louder without yelling than anyone he knew;).) This direct approach usually results in slightly embarassed laughter, a few apologies, and a return to the matter at hand. As far as I know, I have never lost students over it- my two worst offenders this fall have already signed up for next semester.

Gia al Qamar

If these girls are making themselves 'unavailable' before and after class, I would stop class, or have someone lead some basic shimmy drills and call them out of class to have a 'talk' about their behavior.
Personally...I hand to every student a pre-printed postcards with my class policies. It's their responsibility to read them. It's my responsibility to enforce it.
They're not unaware that what they're doing is disruptive...they know.
Give them ONE warning...the 2nd time you have to remind them, ask them to step OUT of class until they've finished talking.
You will absolutely lose your good students if you don't manage the difficult ones...
Gia

Wool

Ah, so..

I'm incredibly new to belly dancing but I had an experience like this in one of my classes, my Instructor handled it with a firm hand but still managed to retain natural grace and respect of the class.

We had a few extra girls in our class, and they were also in their younger 20s. They came in a bit late and missed warm up, because my instructor always stressed how vital warm up is she'd instruct the rest of the class to continue one warm up move while she'd quietly move to the back and discussed the 'common law' of the group. Later in the class the girls began to chatter quite loudly, I was next to my instructor but could barely hear her and several of us kept piping up little "sorry, what was that?" "sorry, I can't hear." Before she finally turned and looked back to the girls again, stressing with importance "Girls, you really need to listen to this part."

She corrected in a way that said "I'm doing it for your safety/health" rather then it sounding like she was scolding, so no one was really defaced. She handled it rather well, the girls picked up on the queue and no problems throughout the rest of training.

That's just the way my instructor handled it, I thought it rather graceful and witty myself the way she'd word things. She kept her tone as strong as ever but still held a relaxed stance, nonthreatening sort of thing.

Reason why I posted, so you could get some info from a students point of view. In no way did anyone felt our instructor was being cruel, nagging or over controlling. In fact a lot of the women in the class thanked her. And I had a chat with a friend from the class we both agreed our respect for her had only blossomed further due to her actions. In my opinion in no way should you feel guilty or hesitant or applying some form of rules, perhaps the rules could be discussed openly with the girls in question rather then the class? Such as take them aside during a stretch routine, quick chat and head back?

I promise you, especially with the other complaints you've gotten about said girls, the rest of the class would support you 110% on whatever decision you choose to do. Sounds as if the other students really respect you.

Hope that helps you.
~Wool

shiradotnet

have a few new young students (3 to be exact), in their early 20s. They have been coming for about a month now, and I haven't had any problems with them before. But last night, they were talking loudly, and disrupting the entire class. At first, I just tried to speak very loudly, hoping they would get the hint, but that didn't work. They just got louder in their talking!!

If they had been fine before, and then were disruptive this time, it almost sounds as though they had a bit too much alcohol or other mind-altering substance before this particular class.

Why didn't you just deal with it directly at the time it happened? As the teacher, you're the authority figure. You're in charge, so you have the right to act like it.

I would stop the class, turn to the disruptive people, and say, "I need to ask you to either stop talking or take your conversation out into the lobby," or, "Excuse me, but it looks like you have a question here?" Depending on the situation, I'm sometimes sweeter about it and sometimes firmer.

"Hints" are just a waste of time and energy. Someone who is self-absorbed enough to talk loudly in class isn't going to notice a hint and act on it.

I tell them over and over that the warm up and cool down are very important. I don't think they beleive me.

Some students feel more motivated to do something they don't like doing if you tell them WHY you're having them do it. So instead of just saying, "This is important," say, "This is important because ___." You can say this while actual doing the warmup or cooldown so that you don't waste time standing around while talking. But by explaining not only correct form but also WHY you're having them do it, you'll produce better educated students who will be better teachers themselves someday.

My cooldowns have a lot of stretches that benefit the lower back because of lot of my students enrolled in class with pre-existing back pain issues. So, because figure 8's and other belly dance moves use the lower back a lot, and because these students could benefit from some guidance in how to care for their backs, we do a lot of these stretches - hamstrings, glutes, psoas, and lower back. For each such stretch, while we hold the position, I explain why we're doing it. I tell them which belly dance moves made this stretch necessary (ie, may have tightened up the muscle it's stretching), which belly dance moves will be easier to do once the muscle being stretched is more flexible, or what role this stretch may play in reducing ongoing back pain issues. I've had students tell me over the years that coming to my class relieves their back pain just as well as a massage, so I guess it's working!

We do other stretches too (obliques, etc), and again I'll tell them why we're doing them - "We did a lot of Move X tonight, so let's stretch it out to ease any tightness the drills may have caused."

Last edited:

lizaj

Shira is so right on hints.
It is amazing how the person you are "hinting at" always assumes you are not on about her and others in a class will take it all to heart:lol:

Jane

I don't mind a little chatter at appropriate times like when they first come in or get ready to leave, while I fiddle with music, during water break, etc.

When I need to break up the chatter I either raise my voice and tell them "It's time to get back to work ladies!", or we start dancing to make them think and move instead of talk. As a last resort I turn the music way up and down quickly and then look at the offenders. I've only had to do that twice!

I have special designated and trained volunteer teacher assistants in my mixed level classes. They are students who have been in the class or danced for more than three years that I have spent time outside of regular class teaching how to teach. They are paired up with a new person to make them feel welcome and answer general questions. They also sub for me when I need them.

I used to pay another BD teacher to sub for me, but she didn't know the class and what was going on. She also used it as an opportunity to advertise her own class. While I encourage my students to learn from other qualified teachers, I'm not paying her my money to self promote on my time. :mad:

If my students are late and miss warm up or stretch, I tell them to do it on their own in the back of the room.

Jet Phoenix

Thank you all for the advice. I got lucky last week, and none of them showed up! Since I don't teach in Dec, I am thinking maybe they all moved on--someone overheard them talking about taking a hip hop class.

But I have been practicing to myself all the suggestions so next time I will be ready, and have a few options to fit the situation.

I hand to every student a pre-printed postcards with my class policies. It's their responsibility to read them. It's Gia

I would love to see what you have on your postcards!! Please share!:pray:

Thank you, everyone, again!

Amri_

Welll, in my class nothing like this ever happened. We had one girl who would misbehave sometimes, but she was 8 years old. People who come to my dance class are all over 15 at least. we have only one girl at the age of 15, the rest is older than me, I am 21. So people who come to my class know what for they come, and they all want to learn, that's why they all are quiet and do all according to the teacher's instructions. We all have no time to lose. And I think that's how grown-ups should do.