Hello from Hong Kong

janaki

Hello all,

I am Janaki and I am a bellydancer/instructor from Hong Kong. I love this site especially the forum, full of great information!!! Beleive it or not belly dancing is so big in Hong Kong. Especially in the last 2 -3 years it grew really big. Check out the Cantonese movie "My mother is a bellydancer" that was released Nov 2006. It is about lives of blue collar Hong Kong housewives and their interest in belly dance. Our dance school (Oasis Dance Centre) is involved in the movie. I had a small part in the movie. If you get see it, I am the one with Shamadan!!!!

Nice to meet you all!!!!
Love
Janaki

chryssanthi sahar

Hello Janaki. Welcome to the forum:D
It is nice to hear, that belly dance has become popular also in Hong Kong:dance: Do you know if the film "My mother is a belly dancer" is also available in Europe?

janaki

Thanks Cryssanthi Sahar, I am not sure about Europe. But it is out in VCD and DVD formats in Hong Kong. They are about Usd 10 for vcd and usd 15 for DVD.

Maria_Aya

Welcome Janaki :)
Yes indeed orientaldancer.net is the most helpfull forum for oriental dance in internet.
Enjoy reading and posting

Maria Aya, Greece

Kiraze

Hello Janaki and welcome to forum: it is always nice to find new dancers here from Asia :D

Hello Janaki. Welcome to the forum:D
It is nice to hear, that belly dance has become popular also in Hong Kong:dance: Do you know if the film "My mother is a belly dancer" is also available in Europe?
I doubt the availability in Europe as it has not appeared on DVD yet even in Singapore (it was shown in cinema though :) ) but of course it can be found through eBay

mbellI

Hi Janaki,

I'm learning to belly dance & from Malaysia. I actually plan for a trip to HK in April & wondering where is the nicest place in HK to shop for belly dance customes & accessories?

janaki

Hi MbellI,

There are la ot of places in HK to shop for accessories. Most of them are made in China. There are no middle eastern costume shops in HK. Although some dance school sell them. But they carry very little variety. I make costumes and sell them in HK to dancers and big corporations for their events. If you like you, I can make a custom made costume for you. The places to shop for accessories in HK, are in Central markets ( Li Yuen Street), Ladies market in Mongkok. Get in touch with me and I'll help you when you are in HK. My email is nakka_janaki@yahoo.com or contact our dance studio, Oasis Dance Centre on 852-25226698 and ask for Meyjen or Janaki

Lov
Janaki

mbellI

hi Janaki,

Thanks a lot for the information! I'm finalising my trip with the travel agency now. Will let u know once I've confirmed my trip.

Thanks again!

mBellI