What's with the clicking?

TiaSerena

Hello Everyone,

I went to a workshop this past weekend, and the instructor would clasp her hands together loosely leaving the pointer fingers of each hand extended. Then, she would kind of flick them together (I'm not sure if I am saying that right but it's the only way I can describe it) to make a loud clicking noise about three times in a row. I have never seen this before and wondered if anyone could explain more about what she is doing and why.

I did ask her, but she didn't really give a detailed explanation. The workshop was very interesting, but that's a topic for another thread. lol.

Take care,

Tia

Aisha Azar

finger snap

Hello Everyone,

I went to a workshop this past weekend, and the instructor would clasp her hands together loosely leaving the pointer fingers of each hand extended. Then, she would kind of flick them together (I'm not sure if I am saying that right but it's the only way I can describe it) to make a loud clicking noise about three times in a row. I have never seen this before and wondered if anyone could explain more about what she is doing and why.

I did ask her, but she didn't really give a detailed explanation. The workshop was very interesting, but that's a topic for another thread. lol.

Take care,

Tia

Dear Tia,
This is one method of snapping the fingers used by Arabs. The other is to fist one hand and lay the fingers of the other on top and push the index finger off of the middle finger and into the crease of the place between the pointer and middle finger to create as snapping noise. Both kinds of snaps are based on the concept of breaking into a pocket of air created in the crease. In the snap style that you described, the air pocket is created where the three fingers of the hands are pressed together and form a crease. I learned how to do it from a Jordanian guy who can snap REALLLYYYYY loudly!! I am pretty good at it but nothing like him.
It is kind of a fun and showy way to keep time to the music.
Regards,
A'isha

TiaSerena

Thanks A'isha!

I thought it would have something to to do with keeping time to the music. This instructor was a big fan of "you're not a bellydancer if you can't play the zills" & "you have to know your rhythms and keep your timing."

Viv

We have a gal orignally Iranian, who does the finger snap that way as well. She'll do that in time to the music instead of clapping. She's shown us all how to do it, however not something I can do at all. It's amazing how LOUD she can make that snap.

TiaSerena

I have been sitting at work trying to following A'isha's description, but I can't get it. I was looking for a video so I could see it up close, but haven't found one yet. I'll post if I find one.

mikex1337

I have been sitting at work trying to following A'isha's description, but I can't get it. I was looking for a video so I could see it up close, but haven't found one yet. I'll post if I find one.

Go look on Google Video. I've seen a lady do this on a video there. I'm going to find the link for you.

Shekahena

I've always heard it referred to as a Persian finger snap. It's fun to do, especially when you really get it to pop! Which I always don't...

Hey I can only pop the fingers on my right hand using the 'regular ' method,...much less the Arabic version. But it is funny when I see Western dancers imitate this 'snap' whiile dancing and they don't make a sound! What's up with that?:rolleyes:
Yasmine

Aisha Azar

Snapo

Hey I can only pop the fingers on my right hand using the 'regular ' method,...much less the Arabic version. But it is funny when I see Western dancers imitate this 'snap' whiile dancing and they don't make a sound! What's up with that?:rolleyes:
Yasmine

Dear Yasmine,
Sometimes you cannot hear the snap over the music. I know that Mouna Said can do the snap but when I saw her live I did not hear her do it. There are also people who can not do it that just go through the motions!! When my fingernails are too long, I am in the last category, though I can do it until they get really long. After that I slice up my fingers with nary a tiny sound.
Regards,
A'isha

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I made a pop sound once, I think. Out of trying like 5000 times. But then I can't snap my fingers the American way either.

It might help to have sweaty fingers. :)

KuteNurse

I am confused! Maybe I should read the thread more thoughouly...I cant even spell tonight...lol The clicking is an Arab custom or this is used in BDing?

TiaSerena

From what I saw in the workshop, I would say yes. The teacher was dancing along with a live drummer and she would finger snap all the time if she didn't have her finger cymbals on.