Mona el Said, performance from April 2006

Maria_Aya

Hi there and a great great week to all of us, in every small place of this wonderfull world (I guess I feel great lol, after starting my week with a videoclip with Mona from today:D )

so here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-b4cf_Ht4

The woman still "got it" and after all these years she is crazy free also in her dance (watch the assaya "hold" at the end of the clip lol).
Also the yellow outfit is like a Gladiator :eek:
But I just love her, just watching her standing there and doing a simple hipdrop make my day :D
Maria Aya

Michelle

Ah, I love her, too, Maria... she's just too much! You just have to smile when you see her.
You know, I thought the leopard costume was kinda funny, with the slashes and the ripped fabric... but the Gladiator costume almost made me pee my pants! You know what else was kind of funny? That gigantic sign to the side of the stage that said that filming was prohibited.... oops.:D
Thanks for posting this, Maria.

chryssanthi sahar

You know what else was kind of funny? That gigantic sign to the side of the stage that said that filming was prohibited.... oops.:D
Thanks for posting this, Maria.

I had to laugh about this, too:D But Mona is still a belly dance Goddess and I adore her:) (despite the yellow gladiator costume:p )

sedoniaraqs

This is great! Mona is my favorite Egyptian dancer, and there are so few videos of her!

Oh, but her costumes...the yellow gladiator one was downright ugly, the blue/black one was merely unflattering to her, and animal print dress was somewhat cute. My favorite was her galibaya.

Sedonia

Aisha Azar

Mouna, etc

Dear Group,
This is a cultural thing, I think. I have been shopping with my Arab friends and many of them do not really seem to care as much as Americans about what looks good on them. They seem to care more about what they LIKE, in and of itself. It is sort of the garment that attracts them, and they like the garment, so they wear it, regardless of how it might actually look ON them!! It is just a different sensibility in looking at costumes. Mouna used to dress really well all the time when she was younger, but Sohair Zaki's costumer should have been tied up in fabric and thrown in a deep, dark walk-in closet until she repented!!
I have learned to try to see the costume from their point of view instead of my own....but sometimes it is not that easy...as in the Monus Saidus; Gladiatress look.
But you know, having seen her in person, when she was wearing this hideous turquoise dress with cut-outs that made her look like a displaced Easter egg, once she starts dancing you really don't care what she is wearing!
REgards,
A'isha

Maria_Aya

Ok i'm hijaking the thread now, but have anyone else felt reading Aisha's posts like melting?? and understanding more and more for oriental dance even from a sentense of her's?

xoxoxo
Maria Aya:)

Aisha Azar

Mouna, etc.

Dear Ludmilla,
Yup, Asi is a belly dancer in his very soul!!

Dear Aya,
Thank you for the compliment!! And I want to thank all of the women who have helped me to understand this about how to look at costumes like the yellow one of Mouna's. I feel that without these ladies in my life, I would have a lot less to share.
Love to you,
A'isha

Moon

a'isha_azar said:
They seem to care more about what they LIKE, in and of itself.

That's wonderful! I admire people who wear what they like and don't care about "fashion rules" and stuff like that.

Shanazel

Ok i'm hijaking the thread now, but have anyone else felt reading Aisha's posts like melting?? and understanding more and more for oriental dance even from a sentense of her's?

xoxoxo
Maria Aya:)

YES!!!

Hmm, what would I wear if I just liked something for itself and not what it looked like on me? The mind boggles... lucky for the world's eyesight that I am not likely to turn up in any of my fantasy costumes!