Anybody know Fleur Estelle of London?

Mya

Hello Folks in London! I have a potential student who learnt bellydance in London for a year and a half with Fleur Estelle. Can anyone give me a review of this instructor?

I'm just curious as to what i might look to expect from the student good or bad (asa result of her instruction) so that i can anticipate my challenges and find creative solutions if need be.

Any help would be appreciated!

Amulya

With students from other teachers you'll find out when they come to your classes. Each teacher has a different dancing style and even way of teaching. You can see if your new student can keep up with the others and if there are things she needs some extra attention for.
I think it's actually very good for students to change teachers every now and then, so they don't get stuck in one style.

I found this clip from Fleur Estelle (but no idea which dancer in the group she is):
YouTube - Fleur Estelle Belly Dancer in London, UK

She also got a web site: Fleur Estelle | Welcome

karena

There was a thread on here somewhere, maybe 6 months ago, where some people were waging some malicious campaign against her, and some of the regulars came out in her defence. I think it could have been deleted (?) as I think someone was impersonating her, but when I look on the members list she is there with no posts but minus 2 rep.

Anyway, I think the general conclusion she was good, but I don't know personally.

Mya

With students from other teachers you'll find out when they come to your classes. Each teacher has a different dancing style and even way of teaching. You can see if your new student can keep up with the others and if there are things she needs some extra attention for.
I think it's actually very good for students to change teachers every now and then, so they don't get stuck in one style.

Thanks Amulya, I checked her site and you tube before i posted here. I still like to try to assess some of the things beforehand as well because sometimes it helps in how you approach particular students. I've had a student come to me from another teacher before whose attitude was very .... erm flambouyant and her attitude towards dance was like that as well, but having an understanding of that teacher helped me to relate to the student better so that we were able to get along.

I prefer to have this advantage if i can than to just wait and see - as we say in Trinidad "best take in front before in front takes you"!

Amulya

I do remember something about that teacher too, a discussion on Bhuz about the way she portrayed the dance. Not 100% sure if it was her though. But it looks like she got a professional web site now. Anyway, people change :)

belly_dancer

I would not worry... I am sure she/you will be fine.... it IS good to be "informed"... but it is also bad to be prejudiced... whatever you hear from here.. or elsewhere online will ALWAYS be colored one way or the other (good or bad) so do not worry about this fleur teacher & just enjoy your new student!
whatever her expectations, or yours,... are that,... just expectations... better not to have too many in my opionion!
meanwhile.. hopefully you both approach your experience w/ an open mind & you both enjoy it....
just imagine.. she could have just showed up @ your class w/out any "name-dropping" & you would not be the wiser & would do whatever it is you always do.... so WHY would you change who you are/what you do cause someone mentioned they took from some other teacher??
from what I have read from you, you seem like a very informed, caring instructor.... so, as my good friend would say,... "don't get your panties in a bunch!"

da Sage

Hello Folks in London! I have a potential student who learnt bellydance in London for a year and a half with Fleur Estelle. Can anyone give me a review of this instructor?

I'm just curious as to what i might look to expect from the student good or bad (asa result of her instruction) so that i can anticipate my challenges and find creative solutions if need be.

Any help would be appreciated!

While I try to be a credit to my teachers, I also try to be my own person - in dance as well as life. I've had people make incorrect assumptions about me because of my teacher, and I wasn't always happy about it!

jenc

Well said Da Sage. It will be far more important to you what is this dancer's attitude. Whether she wants to learn from you or compare you to her last teacher will be dependant on her personality, not her last teacher's

Mya

so WHY would you change who you are/what you do cause someone mentioned they took from some other teacher??
from what I have read from you, you seem like a very informed, caring instructor.... so, as my good friend would say,... "don't get your panties in a bunch!"

Hello all! I just want to make clear that all i was trying to discern was if there would be certain things that the student might be stronger or weaker in coming from that teacher. Like I know straight up that students coming from certain companies in Trinidad will be weak in posture so that i make sure to reinforce that more with them than with those students who've been with me from the get go and readjust themselves naturally.
I wasn't at all trying to judge her or the teacher's personality/character/approach to the dance based on the responses i got here - I always ask my students about prior dance experience but only for the purpose of trying to make their experience with me as beneficial to their individual dance needs as possible.

Thank you though for all of your responses because if i were trying to do what you think i'm doing i'd want all of that advice!

Eshta

Hi Mya,

Yes, I know Fleur Estelle very well. I have been invited to perform at several of her regular student 'end of term' shows so have seen a lot of her students from her beginners right up to her more advanced students.

Fleur is the main performer in the youtube clip, so you can gain a sense of her style from that. As for her students, they vary as widely as any teachers' students do! I wouldn't be able to pinpoint from the teacher what an individual student needs to learn.