Turkish Dancer Tanyeli

Suheir

I just watched the Bulgaria and Turkey episode of the BBC TV programme 'Michael Palin's New Europe'. He was given a lesson by Turkish dancer Tanyeli who said that belly dance was in her blood and that she can't remember when she started to learn, probably when she was in her mother's womb. Hmm. I just got the impression that she was mostly publicity and little substance. Tanyeli.net

deelybopper

Oh, I videoed it, and was going to watch it tonight.

To be honest with you I didn't expect an in-depth look at BD, but the 'dancing in the womb' schtick is a bit much:rolleyes:

D

perfumeshop

Tanyeli

Well known belly dancer..well I'd never heard of her but then my knowledge of Turkish scene is not good so maybe we need someone closer to her home to comment on her.
But she has more to say in the book (I've just bought it) er...like belly dancing is not for men..I suppose she would like to say that to the likes of Khaled Mahmoud, Shafeek and our other respected maledancers out there..probably not.

Kiraze

Tanyeli is very well known Turkish dancer and she has "been around" for more than 10 years, which is a long time in Turkish "dance industry". She is quite good dancer who mixes western and Indian influences in her dances and I like her musicality and fluidity especially in her slower dances - she really got famous just few years ago after appearing more on TV and Oryantal Star show really made her big name and there she spoke quite nicely about background of the dance etc (and there is also surprisingly much background info also at her web-page especially on Turkish side) so the comment about dance being "in her blood" strikes me as strange but perhaps she thought that she does not need to explain anything in TV show run by British comedian :rolleyes:

But I have not heard anything about her book - what is that???

perfumeshop

In Michael Palin's book...... that which Waterstones has at half price.

Michael is much more than a comedian ( not that I knock that profession) actor, director, traveller extraordinaire, journalist, national treasure and altogether yummy man:clap:

Watched some of her clips last night on You Tube.
I am fond of her strong and powerful female presence on stage.

But I still ask myself: what the hell is real turkish bellydance? I mean real traditional turkish (9/8 rhythm) music and turkish belly dance.
My impressions about Tanyeli were: she created her own individual but all in all global style.

Suheir

In Michael Palin's book...... that which Waterstones has at half price.

Michael is much more than a comedian ( not that I knock that profession) actor, director, traveller extraordinaire, journalist, national treasure and altogether yummy man:clap:
Oh aye, he's been a traveller for longer than he's been a comedian now!

nicknack

Michael Palin makes me proud to be English, just by being a generally nice person.

I'm fighting the urge to sing the lumberjack song now.

Kiraze

Michael Palin makes me proud to be English, just by being a generally nice person.

I'm fighting the urge to sing the lumberjack song now.
Sorry if my comment sounded like a critisism to Michael - it was not supposed to as i ADORE him and think he is clever, witty, heartful etc ... I was just thinking that perhaps Tanyeli thought this travel show was supposed to be just light entertainment for people who know nothing about the dance. Anyway that Michael´s book seems like an interesting read so perhaps I should look for it at local bookstore :)

And BTW there are lots of dancers who think that bellydance IS mainly for women and men like Khaled Mahmoud are exception... there are NOT many male bellydancers in Arab world - but again in Turkey there are much stronger historical roots for male dancers so also with this Tanyeli´s comments feel strange :rolleyes:

perfumeshop

I was also concerned to hear her say "breath in your tummy" to get an undulation..don't you start to go a funny colour if you do that?:confused: I always work my muscles to pull in the flab that is my tummy.

I think the problem is I am a bit fed up with the poor representation of our dance on TV. Now Michael was not being "disrespectful" and the girls all looked gorgeous in a very smart studio and he could have gone for the usual "tourist tat" sleezy which is on offer and didn't went to women who obviously realise they have to "learn" the dance.
And of course, it won't mean a thing to the disinterested but oh this "I danced in the womb" malarkey:mad:..what is that all about...did I do the Highland Fling or English clog dance in the womb???? Believe me, I belly dance better than I Morris dance...I've tried!

nicknack

Well maybe she was over doing it a bit... or maybe she couldn't find the right words in English, I didn't really see it in full (I did the first one though, thought it was brilliant I love seeing Croatia). But at least they got a well known Turkish dancer. A couple of more professionals would have been nice though, just to get some variety (I mean everyone has their own opinions).

Ok I'm off to watch The Holy Grail again: Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm

samsied

I haven't had a chance to see this segment--I hope to since I like both Palin and Tanyeli. I think she is a lovely dancer. To be fair, I have heard a few really good dancers say they "danced in the womb" (particularly second generation dancers). Perhaps Taayeli's mother danced a lot and maybe when she was pregnent? I haven't heard the context of how she said it and chances are at least some of the context was edited out of the program.

samsied

I just watched the Bulgaria and Turkey episode of the BBC TV programme 'Michael Palin's New Europe'. He was given a lesson by Turkish dancer Tanyeli who said that belly dance was in her blood and that she can't remember when she started to learn, probably when she was in her mother's womb. Hmm. I just got the impression that she was mostly publicity and little substance. Tanyeli.net

I just looked at her website. I agree the English version of her website biography is awful and very hard to read. I don't know Turkish, but suspect her writing doesn't translate to English very well as it reminds me a lot of the book "Turkish Oriental Dance" (which features a similarly awful writing style in the English translation). I wouldn't judge that she lacks substance from this, but she does sound a little "airy". However, I know a few American dancers who are a bit "airy", but dance very well and are people of substance.

Kiraze

I just looked at her website. I agree the English version of her website biography is awful and very hard to read. I don't know Turkish, but suspect her writing doesn't translate to English very well as it reminds me a lot of the book "Turkish Oriental Dance" (which features a similarly awful writing style in the English translation). I wouldn't judge that she lacks substance from this, but she does sound a little "airy". However, I know a few American dancers who are a bit "airy", but dance very well and are people of substance.
I like that Tanyeli at least tries to speak nicely about Turkish dance but at the same time I have to admit that she really seems to be a bit "airy". Anyway as you already suggested much of the stuff on her webpage looks even worse than it really is because of terrible translation. Also that Turkish oriental belly dance book by Kemal Özdemir is much better in Turkish than in very poor English translation so it is really shame that there are not many resources of good non-Turkish information... but despite bad translation I do recommend that book to anyone who is interested in Turkish bellydance - and if someone is interested in Turkish folkdances or history of the dance then there are books by Metin And available

HubicRuzz

Tanyeli Belly Dancer

Well this is a clip of Tanyeli this year. This is the first time in 2 years she has performed as a dancer since her car accident.

Zadiel

her style is really turkish. turkish is more cabaret sytle. in the dance you have often few "artistik" elements and its a bit uncontroled than the egyptian.
the moves are bigger and more powerful (Didem) as for exampel a raks sharki.
its more show and entertainmant with a lot of bellydance moves (Bodywave,Shimmy,3/4s...)
you never find for exampel arabesque or ballett elements in the turkish style.
yes 9/8 - roma but it is a different way of turkish dance. you have on one site turkish bellydance like raks sharki and on other site roma or ciftetelli or kolbasti, folk like Halay and and and...

you can make for exampel a turkish bellydance - roma fusion. but roma is not turkish bellydance. its a kind of turkish folk dance.

Last edited: