Who is still dancing, where, and what kind?

prince ali baba

Fresno

Let me put it this way; there are three dancers, and only three, on the entire planet that I can say this about: "Oh, she's doing a workshop? Shut up, take my money, and sign me up NOW please! Great - thank you. BTW, what is she teaching in this workshop?"

In other words, I'll go to these three teachers no questions asked. Those three teachers are - in no particular order: Cory Zamora, Alexandra King (of Santa Barbara), and Fahtiem. At one time, there was a fourth: Kamaal - but he's retired now, and was the ONLY male to make my short list.

Other excellent instructors in SoCal would include Mesmera, Aziza Sa'id (retired I think), Helena Vlahos, Angelika Nemeth, Princess Farhana , and Paulina. I'd probably ask what their workshop was about before I signed up, but they're all WONDERFUL.

So take a day, and drive to Fresno for a Cory intensive. You'll thank me.
I would Zorba,but I don't have a car and I don't drive,so that would leave Cory out for me. How do you pronounce Fahtiem's name btw?

prince ali baba

Let me put it this way; there are three dancers, and only three, on the entire planet that I can say this about: "Oh, she's doing a workshop? Shut up, take my money, and sign me up NOW please! Great - thank you. BTW, what is she teaching in this workshop?"

In other words, I'll go to these three teachers no questions asked. Those three teachers are - in no particular order: Cory Zamora, Alexandra King (of Santa Barbara), and Fahtiem. At one time, there was a fourth: Kamaal - but he's retired now, and was the ONLY male to make my short list.

Other excellent instructors in SoCal would include Mesmera, Aziza Sa'id (retired I think), Helena Vlahos, Angelika Nemeth, Princess Farhana , and Paulina. I'd probably ask what their workshop was about before I signed up, but they're all WONDERFUL.

So take a day, and drive to Fresno for a Cory intensive. You'll thank me.
Are you sure Cory doesn't come to my area anymore to teach at the Senior Citizen's Center? I think she used to do that. Would be easier on me since I live so close to the Senior Citizen's Center.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Are you sure Cory doesn't come to my area anymore to teach at the Senior Citizen's Center? I think she used to do that. Would be easier on me since I live so close to the Senior Citizen's Center.
I have no idea - give her a shout and ask. I know she's been doing workshops in the LA basin from time to time.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
[video=youtube;6rYgypaVFRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rYgypaVFRE[/video]

I was at this one, LIVE!

L to R: Myself, Cory, and The Mighty Siwa at CoS 2012:

00.jpg

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
[video=youtube;y0LScdEqr6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0LScdEqr6Q[/video]

A funny story: I was in one of the many workshops I took years ago with Alexandra - may have even been the very 1st, in any event I was pretty much a "baby belly" at the time. Gypsy style skirtwork. I guess she liked what she saw, as she had me come to the head of the class to help her demonstrate skirtwork with 2 dancers. She said, "Don't worry, I won't embarrass you." I lifted my skirt, spread it wide, and replied, "Here I am, dancing in a huge ass SKIRT, do I look like I can be embarrassed?" Hilarity ensued!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
[video=youtube;YlnTj2kui1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlnTj2kui1I[/video]

Fahtiem is one of 3 dancers in another one of my mental lists whose dancing I call "Exquisite". I love her - and she's a wonderful, gracious person too!

Shanazel

Stories associated with these dancers much appreciated, Zorba. I recalled the one about the big-ass skirt; shared it with my skirt-wearing male dancer who regards you as a shining star in the firmament.

prince ali baba

Being Terrified Of Skirts and Belly Dancers

Aw shucks...

Has he seen my article on the subject? http://www.doubleveil.net/skirtsmanship.htm

I do not understand why males are so terrified of skirts - Belly Dancers or otherwise...
The skirt thing I think it comes down to looking a bit too girly for males. Belly Dancers I think might have something to do with modesty. I used to feel very modest about my shirt coming off as a youngin. The bare midriff thing was also something that made me feel a bit uncomfortable when I was younger. I don't mind so much now that I'm older,but I get slightly modest at times.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I'm well aware of the male penchant for not wanting to look "too girly". The thing of it is, a skirt is only considered "girly" because somebody decided that it was for girls - its just a piece of fabric, it doesn't make me a girl any more than a pair of pants makes a girl into a boy! And I'm old enough to remember the tail end of the "no pants on girls" nonsense. "Masculinity" has evolved into a sort of "Anti-femininity" which is ridiculous.

I hear you about modesty - although that too is something that somebody made up at some point. As a result, I don't particularly care for the bare chested look for male dancers that seems to be all the rage in some parts of the world - but to each his/her own!

Did you check out the link? Looks like a "star studded cast" - you should make a point of attending!

prince ali baba

Star Studded Cast

I'm well aware of the male penchant for not wanting to look "too girly". The thing of it is, a skirt is only considered "girly" because somebody decided that it was for girls - its just a piece of fabric, it doesn't make me a girl any more than a pair of pants makes a girl into a boy! And I'm old enough to remember the tail end of the "no pants on girls" nonsense. "Masculinity" has evolved into a sort of "Anti-femininity" which is ridiculous.

I hear you about modesty - although that too is something that somebody made up at some point. As a result, I don't particularly care for the bare chested look for male dancers that seems to be all the rage in some parts of the world - but to each his/her own!

Did you check out the link? Looks like a "star studded cast" - you should make a point of attending!
I'm thinking about going. I have brother who lives in Southern California,so I might consider going.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Ok, I give up! I thought *you* were in socal from your referencing socal teachers! I'm officially confused...

Regardless, if you can make it to this, it certainly looks good!

prince ali baba

Ok, I give up! I thought *you* were in socal from your referencing socal teachers! I'm officially confused...

Nope I'm in Modesto. You used to be 2 hour drive from me when you were in Monterey. :)

Last edited:

Ariadne

I don't really dance much at all. I try but the scene here has disappeared. Between a lack of classes/teachers, others to dance with, and some new medical stuff I haven't mentioned- trying to practice on my own has never lasted more then a few days at a time. I haven't given up though, not completely. I still love it.

prince ali baba

Are you going to go to it Zorba? Would be cool to meet you if you did.