Bellydance congress UK

Aniseteph

I want to go but am not sure what to do about accommodation. (Single supplement on a posh hotel room? maybe not... :( ) Anyone likely to be up for a chalet-share?

Sara

I would! :)

One BIG problem. I start uni Monday 24th! :( :( :( :( :( How crap is that.

I'm just trying to think if there would be anyway I could do it. Any ideas? :think:

Suheir

I won't be going, for the following reasons:

You have to stay at Butlins

There's a Motown 'Adult Weekend' at Butlins Bognor the same weekend - the bars are open 24 hours

You can't book for specific workshops and the organisers intend having up to 300 people in a workshop for the popular teachers, the teacher will have a head mic and there will be video screens - big deal, I may as well stay at home and watch a video

I don't want to stay a Sunday night at a festival

Who says biggest is best?!

Maria_Aya

Hi there all:)
As much interesting as seems the gathering of all these great teachers, the fact that a) there is no booking for workshops, b) there is the possibility of too many people in classes make me to say, nope!!!
I dont know the organizers but, some times less is better, and we have to start from slow and small to get bigger.

Maria Aya

taheya

Hi anisteph/sara, i would be interested in sharing a chalet, if i go. I looked on the website and it looks like it is£129 for a pass before end of april, then accomodation for a standard room is £154. So nearly £300 for a weekend...maybe a bit steep but i do want to go. Anisteph, i cant see where you choose a sharing room on the butlins site, is that what standard is? If so that is the cheapest option and that includes meals.

Suheir

Hi there all:)
As much interesting as seems the gathering of all these great teachers, the fact that a) there is no booking for workshops, b) there is the possibility of too many people in classes make me to say, nope!!!
I dont know the organizers but, some times less is better, and we have to start from slow and small to get bigger.

Maria Aya
The organisers are Jo Wise:
JWAAD - The Josephine Wise Academy of Arabic Dance and Irene and Edwin Wood: Belly dance costume & belly dance supplies at Aladdin's Cave

Jo runs the twice-yearly Fantasia festival in London which I stopped going to because the workshops with the headlining teachers were so crowded and the workshop accommodation so awful.

There are now several *huge* events, all with the same initials! The International Belly Dancing Convention in Las Vegas: The International Belly Dance Convention Las Vegas

The International Belly Dance Conference in Canada: International Bellydance Conference Of Canada

Sometimes, less is more...

Aniseteph

I wasn't over thrilled at what I'd heard about Butlins adult weekends. I emailed the organisers because I didn't fancy swanning around in a hipscarf etc. amidst a load of Motown fans and/or stag/hen parties, or trying to sleep while they were doing their thing. :mad: :mad: :mad: (24h bars, OMG :shok:)

This is what they said:

We hope that the Congress will grow to a size that will enable us to hire the whole venue in the future. For our first Congress we will be there at the same time as a 'Soul & Motown' weekend.

We will have our own theatre for our shows, our own studios etc. for the workshops and seminars and our own private café/bar next to the bazaar. The Soul & Motown weekenders will not be able to attend our shows or come into any of these areas.

Our accommodation will be in blocks together but we will share the various bars, restaurants, shops and other public areas.

Which is some reassurance compared to what I saw on another board (that they would use the belly dance shows and events as "free" entertainment for their other guests :shok: :naghty: ).

Anyway if it's too appalling I can escape and be home in an hour or so!

taheya

Urrmmmm, oh dear i dont know what to do now!! Think i still may go though, it is the cost of it really that is putting me off. Something like JOY or Fantasia is alot cheaper and you get to book on workshops:think:

taheya

Hi sara, fantasia is a belly dance festival organised by jo wise. It is in london and happens twice a year, it is similar but probably bigger than JOY, lots of teachers and a show on the sat night. The next one is happening at the end of the month and guest teacher is aida nour:
Fantasia Festival - Britain's Arabic Dance Festival
I have booked to go on w/shops with aida nour and yasmina..cant wait!

Suheir

Suhaila's pulled out of the UK Belly Dance Congress: "Unexpected circumstances make it impossible for Suhaila to travel to the congress. We extend our love and support to Suhaila at a difficult time, and we are making arrangements to ensure that you will not be disappointed. Please watch this space for a new announcement"

Those who'll miss her vibrating buttocks might like to know she's been replaced by Fahtiem and her sideways belly roll!

taheya

I am really excited about the congress!!! Cant wait! :dance: Not bothered that Suhalia is not going to be there as I mainly want to study with the egyptian teachers.

Eve

ok. Butlins was grotty, the workshop rooms were poor and I think could have done with slightly better planning. For example, having a lvl 2 class in a small room doesn't make too much sense as it's likely to be overcrowed (which many classes were) and having a lvl 4 class in the biggest room with a handful of dancers which did happen - but not in every case. Confusing isn't it? Seeing 3 quality shows taking 2 classes with Raqia, 1 with Randa, 2 with Khaled, 1 with Horacio and Heather Burbery sure made up for any inconveniences. For a first time event I thought it went well. I came away wanting to do this every day full time:dance: of course I can't but I can dream.