Ask me for music if you want & Music suggestions

Daimona

However I know of one site that legally offers them for free, the site tried to be our equivalent of Netflix mashed up with Itunes but failed and they decided to let people download what they have for free now (I think they'll be closing down soon) but yeah this is done with the publishers legal consent and everything.

Oh, are the songs on Mazika free again? Or can you listen to the whole tune without buying it, but won't get to download it until you buy it?

I used to download tons of music from them until they made some changes in 2004/2005 (gosh! Is it getting that long ago? :shok:).

Manar

Meya Meya

Hi MizzNaaa...

Just wondering did you forget about me... I was hoping you can translate the lyrics to Meya Meya by Tarik el Sheihk... I have the Arabic lyrics but my Arabic is too basic to understand all the words...

Thanks so much,
Manar

MizzNaaa

Oh goodness, Manar I'm so sorry! I thought I already posted it! *facepalm*

Here is the english translation to the song

Oh my eyes oh my night oh night
oh you are more beautiful than all of them,
you are faultless (perfect) with your eyes you covered them, your beauty dimmed them

Doe (deer? Usually it’s an expression used to say how graceful like a deer she is) there is not a fault in you
Be gentle, may god bless you (approve of you is the literal translation)
From the amount of fear I have of them envying you,
I want to ward you with incense (It’s an Egyptian folk thing, where they basically light some incense and let its smoke swirl around you as it’s believed to ward off any envy that might cause you harm)

may god's name be upon you, (may) god's name be upon you
and a thousand blessings more upon you
a pebble in the eye of whoever didn’t pray to god’s name upon you,
You graceful girl (Literal translation in the last line and this line is very difficult as they’re all very Egyptian expressions that are hard to translate, but the expression is basically saying that whoever looked upon you with envy without praying to god (to ward off evil) may they get a pebble in their eye to make them blink and look away…as I said very old culturally bound expressions)

Oh you who has a strong and beledi body
I love you son (daughter…women are usually referred to as males in songs) of my country x 2

Bottom line is, I will never give up on you even if they hassle me (That’s the translation in context, the actual literal translation is, at the end of it, I will never leave you, even if they drum the baladi tabla)

Feel me and give me attention, in the prophet’s name don’t play hard to get. X2

if anything happens to me because of you, I give you the responsibility

Stop being playful, go easy
bit by bit

Ask about us, we are done (as in can’t take it anymore)
Stop arguing

Meaning, make sure you take into account, that I will not leave you x2
I’m going after you no matter what, my beloved, and with you, may god help us

You graceful girl

Whenever your eyes are smiling, I go crazy
May god never take you away from me, and may I continue to love you x2

I love you son of my country x 2

Bottom line is, I will never give up on you even if they hassle me

Feel me and give me attention, in the prophet’s name don’t play hard to get. X2

if anything happens to me because of you, I give you the responsibility

Stop being playful, go easy
bit by bit

Ask about us, we are done (as in can’t take it anymore)
Stop arguing
Meaning, make sure you take into account, that I will not leave you

I’m going after you no matter what, my beloved, and with you, may god help us
You graceful girl

It's worth noting that while the song is heavy with religious expressions it's not in anyway a religious song; it just happens that most of the Egyptian slang and expressions include religious expressions that no longer have their true religious context. AKA, they're not used by muslims alone, it's become the slang everybody use.

Let me know if you need anything else! I promise it won't take me two weeks to respond xD
Hope that helped, and again I'm sorry for the delay.

Last edited:

khanjar

I love you son (daughter…women are usually referred to as males in songs) of my country x 2

Please forgive my diversion, but the highlighted interested me and I find I have to ask why, is there a reason for this or is it just the done thing, the reason why lost in antiquity ?

But good you are explaining some of the peripheral stuff around the translations you give as those of us interested in culture, this is good stuff.

MizzNaaa

@Khanjar, in the olden days of Arab poetry, speaking of love was considered inappropriate and sometimes even sinful, so men who didn't want to expose their lovers (or the women they loved) used to address them in male form in the poetry for anonymity and to be appropriate. Some didn't and outright addressed those lovers which had a slew of repercussions on the lovers.

Nowdays, there really is no reason, other than being coy and playful like in that song, but I guess it was a tradition that stuck.

Zumarrad

MizzNaa I've been wondering about that song too - thank you so much!

You wouldn't happen to know Enta Hena by the same artist would you? Would be very very grateful if you had a translation ....

Munniko

Hey I was wondering about this song after at work today we got bored with the music we normally played and so I put this on and my Egyptian co-workers were having a blast dancing to it.

Omda - La' La' /

Just wanting to know why this song was so fun.

MizzNaaa

@Munniko, The lyrics in this post La' La' - Omda are correct. I checked them myself :)

@Zumarrad, I can't find a song by Tarek under that name. It could be because the name's not actually what the song is called, just what it's known by, so if you have a link, I would translate it for you :)

MizzNaaa

@Zumarrad, ooooh, I thought you meant enta hena (as in you, here) not entahena (as in we're done) heh, sorry my bad.

Anyway, the lyrics:

We're done with his deception and his playing with us
We're done with the story of his love for us
x2

We're not going to regret him, he who sold us (gave up on us is what is meant by 'sold')
Nor will we cry over what was lost
x2

No, we'll also say goodbye to he who never was afraid for us (that's literal translation, it means he who was never protective of us or was afraid to hurt us)

We're done

Go, love (he's literally talking to 'love' here, not using the word love as a term of endearment)
go tell him, his time is gone
What do we remember of him to be sad about his absence (this is the closest to literal translation I could manage, translating literally here would've made no sense)

His hurt, his treachery,
His injustice, and the love he betrayed

It's impossible for us to go back,even if he came back to us with his tenderness

(repeats the entire part starting from "Go love" till the end)

We'll never forget what he's done to us

We're done

We're done and live without him is more merciful
We'll never be merciful to he who was never merciful
If he thinks that we still dream of him
Then he's delusional, then he's dreaming
x2

We'll not regret he who sold us, and wasted our life and deceived us
But, when he sold us, he sold loved ones
but we sold a traitor, when we sold (him)
Our eyes will not cry for us

We're done

MizzNaaa

Lyrics for the song : Haty Atta, by Saád el Soghayar , requested by Safran

'Ya Mozza (that's Egyptian slang for hottie or hotstuff and such words.)

10 out of 10 (another slang for saying she's perfect/her body is perfect)

Come on shake it more, girl, shake it and make it soft
And cover the floor you walk and step on
Any place where you walk or appear in
People, young and old, fall for you girl

When your feet go down on the floor and step
You make anybody who doesn't know how to love, fall in love
You have a hip shimmy that astounds anybody who sees it
And a look for you alone can make people break down

Wait wait wait wait wait wait...etc x2

(This part is kinda difficult to translate, mostly cause it's laden in cultural slang, but I'll try)
Girl, I need you for a favor
Are coming or leaving (In Egypt, those two sentences rhyme, it's a well known kinda vulgar slang for a guy trying to pick up a girl or flirt with her (sometimes even harass her...of course in the song's case it's flirting)

Hottie, I need you for a favor
Are you coming of leaving (repetition of the line above but he changes from 'girl' to 'mozza')

Tut, tut, may I die
If you didn't stop being flirtatious and coy

(I know it sounds way to horrible than it is, but it's not, Tut tut or Toot toot is the sound kids make when they're trying to imitate a train's siren. There's a famous kids folk song that starts with Toot toot, and the "I hope I die" line, rhymes with it. It's also an expression (sometimes used in a playful way) to ask someone to do or stop doing something. So he's really just being flirtatious)

You're so awesome, and soft (soft in this case is a translation of a way (kinda vulgar) for men to describe women's bodies, because women are expected to be voluptuous and soft and a little jiggly...think Suheir Zaki's body type all curves and smooth skin and stuff.)
Your waist is dripping tenderness x 2

It's coming and going, going and coming
Like a plate of Mahalabeya (Milk pudding is called Mahalabeya here)

(This is her singing)
Don't try to fool me (Literal translation is eat sweets with my mind, which is an expression meaning foo me)
Let me see the beauty of your step (It's an egyptian sarcastic slang used when you are telling somebody to leave or start moving, or get going to do something you want...etc. So you're like, let me see that beauty of your step; I do believe it originated from talking about dancers, and at some point, either through a movie/series/play was used in such sarcastic way and has been used ever since)
Boy, stop being naughty (stop being playful, both work)
Or I'll come and make you stand still (this is literal translation, it means I'll mess with you, basically)

She repeats it again then,

Why don't you gather the show (Another expression, basically telling someone to tone it down and leave you be)
I have long ropes (another expression meaning I'm patient)
I've been around (Meaning I'm not naïve)
Leave us be, funny guy

Then they sing back and forth
He: Give me a bite (out of you, as in he wants to eat her up cause she's that delicious)
She:You wish
He: Oh you're such a duck (another slang for she's desirable, hot...etc)
She: I am (a duck, as in pretty and hot and all that) whether you like it or not (Her aggressive answers are considered her being hard to get; not actually really annoyed at him or anything)

Then they repeat that exchange again

He: Give us some attention
She: it's too early for you (Another expression for saying that you're too young or too… fresh for her)
He: give us even a little attention (He says give us some drops; that's the literal translation and it means give us even a tiny bit of attention)
She: Don't try to eat me with your eyes (stop looking at me with desire)

X 2 (they repeat the exchange again)

He: Your waist, there's nothing like it
She: oh boy
He: You took my heart and never came back
She: ew'a (another slang, literal meaning is go away, but it's actually used as a filler for songs like this; sometimes also in flirting or harassment as a way to surprise somebody...it's really difficult to translate sorry )

X2

He; Everything in me prays for you, that your love would live long inside my heart

And then he repeats the pervious bit with him asking her to give him some attention, and describing her as a duck all the way to the end bit with him praying for her

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Mizz Naaa, I love your translations you explain the nuances & slang so well. Thank you
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
Mizz Naaa, I love your translations you explain the nuances & slang so well. Thank you
~Mosaic

Yes, the explanations you give are what is most often lacking in translations found on the web. Those are really what give insight! You are being extremely generous by sharing and helping with this, you know :) Thank you!