Dieting anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salome

Administrator
Hm, somehow a reply I posted some time ago appeared as first post of this thread, so now it looks like I created this thread :confused: Would be nice if someone can delete that post?

That’s curious! I’m afraid it will have to be left where it is. When the first post of a thread is deleted it deletes the entire thread. Sorry Moon.

Miss_Winnii

Im dieting now, because i havent got many time now to jog or anything.
One thing i really miss now is doner kebab, pizza and the food of my boyfriend:(

Miss_Winnii

I also have a great dieting tirck,
Example If you want to eat about 1500 cals a day, you should eat 36 grams of fibre a day
1500:36= 41 callories per 1 grams of fibre
It really helps for me

gypsyroze

Hi there!!!
I hate when I have to diet :mad:
I'm a junkfood addict and healthy foods make me down lol
Any support from anyone?

Maria Aya

I know this is going to sound crazy, but one thing that helps me balance out my body is a colon cleanse and detox once a year. The one I use usually takes about a month. I have notice this helps me lose a few unwanted pounds. I also count how many calories I eat a day. I try to stay between 1200 to 1500 if i need to slim down.

Ofcourse practicing my bellydancing and doing some sort of light weight training helps to burn fat and keep my weight down. My goal is to lose 75 pounds, so far I have lost ten. Unfortunately school has caused me to pack on the weight. The important thing is to lose weight slowly, then it won't come back double fold.

gypsyroze

gawd, I hate to diet....:p

I know what you mean! I am a french fry freak! But i love Salads, now if I can only avoid putting chicken fingers on top of my salads.... No seriously, I truly love salads, and i find trying different combinations of salads makes it more interesting. Also for "mayonnaise" salads like: Chicken Salad, or Tuna Salad, cut the mayo by 3/4th's and use sour cream. Its a lot less fattening. Also with tuna, use tuna in water instead of oil to cut down on the fat, for chicken salad, try boiling the chicken this cuts down on fat also.

Eat lots of berries and green veggies. these have excellent sources of vitamin C, K+ and Calcium which dancers and expecially women need for stronger bones.

gypsyroze

Make your salads special too by adding olives, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, avacado, beans, a dash of olive oil

I like your suggestions! I also use pine nuts, almonds, white raisins, grapes, baked chicken, fresh green beans, black beans, mushrooms, and mangos, with arugala, spinach, romain lettuce, colored belle peppers, a little red onion, and a little red cabbage. I love this salad, the only thing is, that is can ba a touch expensive, but worth the investment, and you can make a large one and eat off of it for a few days!

Dressings are olive oil and balsamic vinegar, ranch (very little), fresh lemon juice and olive oil, lime juice, or just salt and pepper. I hope you ladies and gents like this idea.

tim ema

LOL!

I remember picking up cat food at the store one day (back when I had a cat!) and I read the label on the package and noticed it had soy in it - as well as a bunch of other weird stuff. I thought to myself, "Do cats eat that much soy in the wild? Do panthers sneak up on the unsuspecting soybean and POUNCE?!?"

Then I looked at MY groceries and thought, "Okaaaaay...seriously woman, do HUMANS eat spongecake in the wild?" Since then I've been trying to balance my cravings with good, simple, basic food that our ancient ancestors would've eaten. This: http://www.beyondveg.com/index.shtml is a VERY interesting site. It talks about vegetarianism, fruitarianism, raw food diets, and something I'm just now exploring: Paleodiets (in other words, eating foods that our paleolithic ancestors would've eaten.). I just discovered this site, but it's really been piquing my interest.

Toughest thing is I have a REAL sweet tooth and I'm allergic to Fructose, so no fruit, no fruit juice, nothing with fruit in it or sweetened with fructose. That means without candy, my diet has no "sweet treats".
:( blah. But it isn't cheating it's "balancing nutrition with indulgence"! LOL!

:)
AT

Kharmine

I know I'm coming in late on this, but couldn't resist contributing my experience -- which seems so different from everyone else's here.

There is adult-onset diabetes on both sides of my family. I have tested positive for insulin-resistence and a borderline thyroid problem. In other words, I don't process sugars and starches well. The only way I have managed to lose weight and keep it off is with regular exercise, lots of water, nutritional supplements -- and a low-carb diet. Yes, I rely on the Atkins program. And I recommend it to anyone who might have a similar profile to mine. But you have to do ALL the recommended things like exercise, drinking lots of water and the supplements. Just consuming a lot of protein and avoiding carbs alone is not a healthy thing.

The studies have been out for some time that Atkins and similar programs, properly done, do not lead to health problems. I can eat anything I want at the level I'm at, so long as it's in moderation. If I need to lose some weight, I cut back on the carbs. I feel well-fed and not at all deprived.

Low-carb is not for everyone -- but I'm so glad it worked for me, because nothing else did previous to my trying the Atkins program.

Of course, what about hearing success stories:) ? I just lost quite some weight a few months ago and it is still not back on (normally it is back in 2 weeks time...)! I even gained weight (yep sounds strange: it was even 5 kilo) afterwards but didn't get any bigger in dress size, my GP says it is muscle tissue that I gained by dancing more. Good news is: the more muscle tissue you get the more you can eat :p , because muscles burn more calories.

I really don't diet in the sense I change what i'm eating to lose weight. I weigh about 150 lbs but it's mostly muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. I guess it dependson your body type since it doesn't take much for me to pack muscle. And Amulya is right,the more muscle you have the hungrier you feel so I eat just as much as I did before.When I tried eating salads,cottage cheese and all that other stuff I felt starved. However my pant size went up for all the lunges and squats that I do:lol:
Yasmine

starrbursts

I'm not particularily into "dieting". To me, dieting is just not healthy for the body. Maybe you lose weight and all, but in the long run, is it truly healthy? What I do to keep myself from gaining too much weight is just be active and then eat only one serving, not two. If there are some cookies, I'll eat them just as long as I don't hog them all down. Also, i guess because i'm younger, I can lose weight easier than people who are older so I guess that makes a difference too.......

Kharmine

I didn't have to worry about my weight until I hit my mid-30s. Yes, the metabolism tends to slow down -- and it doesn't help if you have a job that requires you to sit for long periods. When I did need to lose weight, I had to rethink the way I ate because it had never been a challenge before!

Dieting tends not to work long-term because it's a short-term method that's hard to keep up. Finding a healthy nutritional path, learning to cook well for yourself, getting enough exercise as well as sleep, drinking lots of water and taking nutritional suplements to fill in any gaps -- that's just basic sense but essential for quality of life.

sstacy123

time to get it together

When I say I'm going on a diet, I'm not talking about the fads and stuff like that, I'm talking about 1 of 2 things, either eating what I want but watching calorie intake or trying to eat healthier and watching calorie intake... I keep trying to get myself together but can't seem to. A few weeks ago I was trying and I was already stressed with the workload and someone came and brought me more work-it sent me over the edge and I went and had a doughnut and it has gotten worse sense then...I weighed myself today and I'm about to hit that bad magic number...the number when I start approaching I know I have to get it together...so I think I'll go by the grocery store tomorrow and see if I can't get something going! The work situation is still a bit worrisome, but I'll have to let the stress out some other way!

tim ema

When I say I'm going on a diet, I'm not talking about the fads and stuff like that, I'm talking about 1 of 2 things, either eating what I want but watching calorie intake or trying to eat healthier and watching calorie intake.......

The "healthier " thing is a biggie for me too! The trap with watching calories is...as I saw explained somewhere and it really illustrated it for me....
If you're given a choice between a glass of orange juice and a can of diet orange pop (soda) a "calorie-based" diet will guide you toward the pop, because it's fewer calories, but that doesn't mean it's BETTER for you.

I've been trying to retrain my palate. Get a taste for different foods. I'm also starting to notice patterns. For example, if I leave my eating until later in the day, I feel run down and crave sweets.

I've also recently realized that buying myself ice cream or chocolate is the only real way I know of to reward myself for anything. It's also what I buy myself to console myself after a bad day. Hmmmm....... How to break this cycle? Do I have to break this cycle, or is it okay? It disturbs me that I have ONLY this as a reward.

Food is so much more than just consuming fuel, isn't it? Joy, pain, guilt, triumph, reward, punishment, bonding, self-medicating......

AT

sstacy123

Actually I probably would have the diet soda and then perhaps have a piece of fruit, since juices tend to have a lot of calories, and the fruit tends to be more filling for me...in a perfect world i would give up soda, but I don't see that happening! But regardless of how you eat it is my belief that what counts as far as weight is calories in versus calories out, it just depends if I want to do it more healthy or not ( i hate veggies by the way)

tim ema

Actually I probably would have the diet soda and then perhaps have a piece of fruit, since juices tend to have a lot of calories, and the fruit tends to be more filling for me...in a perfect world i would give up soda, but I don't see that happening! But regardless of how you eat it is my belief that what counts as far as weight is calories in versus calories out, it just depends if I want to do it more healthy or not ( i hate veggies by the way)

Actually, I'm fructose-intolerant so I couldn't eat fruit/fruitjuice/etc even if I wanted to. I love veggies in warm, hearty comfort food, like chili and lasagna!
I just don't like cold, raw food.
Plain popcorn is a fave "filler" food of mine, but my permanant retainer doesn't like it much! LOL!

AT

Silvinka

Dieting..... no way, it sounds like a punishment to me. I lost last year 11 kilo's, ( and it is still gone ) without dieting, but changing a foodpatern. Maybe for some of you, this sounds like dieting, but i think it is not.

Some of the tips were already given here, but this is the way i lost my weight.

I ate everything that i liked ( even french fries, crisps, choclate ) but not on the same time. I tried to seperate the fats from the carbo-hydrates.
For example: Roasted chicken with veggies, but no fries, rice or potatoes. And when i wanted the french fries, i didn't eat the chicken.
And in the evening, when the stomach is craving for something i had some choclate or crisps, but i had to wait for minimum 3 to 4 hours, before i could pop it into me mouth.
I drank lots of water and ate plenty of fruit and veggies. Within 4 months i lost 9 kilo's. The last two kilo's i took it the slow side. I drank me coffey with milk and 3 teaspoons of suger ;)

Now i'm eating "normal" again, and once in a while, for maintenence, i use the "diet" for one or two weeks. It also purifise the body from toxics.

Things u must remember:
*No fats combined with carbo-hydrates ( or try to avoid them as much as possible)
*Plenty of veggies and fruits
*Minimum 2 liters of water or tea with no sugar
*You can have sweet or salty cravings, but be sure to eat a some of it and not the whole package ;)
*Green beans or haris covert ( or what is the proper english name ) is good for getting rid of excess water in the body ( excess water is mostly te reason for a little overweight )

However i must say, that if you realy want to lose weight, you CAN do it. If you are not 100% sure or willing it will never happen. It is al in the head and your body follows :)

Good Luck! And if there are any questions, please ask!

Miss_Winnii

I really have a problem with that, I work at a Turkish/italian restaurant and i eat Doner kebab, baklava, gyros and souvlakis all the time...I made a deal with myself, everytime i work there and eat bad food, i must go to the gym ;)

Sara

I think I'm developing the bad habit of eating more at college cause everywhere I go there's food and people eating. :( I really is hard to try and ignore them. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.