Masked male

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniseteph

Hmm.. fantastic moves but doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I found him a bit scary (possibly the effect he was after of course!). Loved the wiggly finger bit though :)
So I was going to write that I prefer male dancers with a bit more interaction with the audience (loved Asi on one of the other threads:rolleyes: )- then cringed at myself and thought am I being horribly sexist? But when I think about it, I like exactly the same thing in female dancers, and a mask puts up a barrier.
Though I did see a (female) dancer do a masked number once. It was a slightly tongue-in-cheek number to what I think was a 1950's pop song, and the music sort of got past the barrier of the mask, so it worked very well.

da Sage

Orgun... What do you think of the mask as an acessory?

Maybe he wants people to focus on his amazing controlled moves first, instead of the fact that he looks like a happily tripping John Malkovich (later when he takes off the mask).

I'm not trying to be rude here, just trying to describe how I see his apparently unrestrained facial expressions, and general look. I actually think he's hot:D, and I totally want to steal his moves:cool:. The site said he's "inspiring", and I completely agree.

edit: I think the mask works well to focus the audience on his technique, but it would not work for a less dynamic performer, or choreography.

Last edited:

Selkie

I love Orgun! He's such an interesting dancer, so flexible and so theatrical with his tricks. I think the mask goes well with such theatrical dance. Its flamboyant dancing and needs flamboyant costume details and a mask certainly is flamboyant :D I saw a dance show a few weeks ago where the dancers wore cat-masks for one number, gold cat-masks with gold coin-scarves, black everywhere else. Very effective and striking and I kept thinking "Now *this* belongs in 'Cats'!" (Belly dance is much more effectively feline than tap-dance XD) I don't think a mask would work well in any other context, like a classical dance. That said, if I were designing a flamboyant costume for myself and wanted to cover my face for added drama, I would prefer to choose a mask over a face veil. I would be much too afraid of offending any Muslim audience by wearing a face veil, who might think I was mocking the niqaab.

Aniseteph

Maybe he wants people to focus on his amazing controlled moves first, instead of the fact that he looks like a happily tripping John Malkovich (later when he takes off the mask).

Very good point - tripping JM apart, I wonder if it stops some of the audience doing the OMG-it's-a-man-doing-bellydance bit until after he's impressed them with his awesome moves. Clever...:cool:

Shanazel

Masks are okay for Carnivale, Mardi Gras, or specialty dances, but I don't like them for belly dance. A veil is still fluid, even when it hides most of one's face. The mask is a dead spot. It creeps me out, quite frankly, but then I've always been half scared of clowns, too.

Aisha Azar

Orgun, etc.

Dear Salome and Group,
I would say that this guy is not a belly dancer, but a person who has mastered some belly dance movement and interspurses it with gimmicks, of which the mask is just one more. Most of his movement was WAY over done, even for Turkish I think. We could rather rudely refer to his act as "parlor tricks". It's too bad because he probably could be a fantastic dancer if he so chose.
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

Maria_Aya

I agree with Aisha Azar on all her coments
Just to add, that I know also, from who he have stole the 80% of his choreo's!!!
Maria Aya:rolleyes:

Recnadocir

Plus:
He does have good flexibility and isolations.
His turns are reasonably crisp. Not technical or difficult, but reasonably well executed.

Minus:
No layering to speak of. No layering = half a dancer.
I found the mask annoying after a minute or two, and he is grimacing underneath it. The wiggly finger thing bothered me too. Is he a proctologist when he is not dancing?
Way too hyper. He needs to learn to chill, to move softly for part of his routine. Contrast is everything in choreography. He should spend some time watching Horacio in this respect.

Sum: I think that if he were a female dancer he wouldn't be getting much attention.

Last edited:

Recnadocir

Masks are okay for Carnivale, Mardi Gras, or specialty dances, but I don't like them for belly dance. A veil is still fluid, even when it hides most of one's face. The mask is a dead spot. It creeps me out, quite frankly, but then I've always been half scared of clowns, too.
Highly recommended, if you haven't seen it: "Killer Klowns from Outer Space." If you weren't scared of clowns before...

Aaeesha

I don't see how the mask is meant to draw attention away from his face and to his movements. Personally, I couldn't stop staring at the mask and found it extremely distracting. And creepy. *shudder*

da Sage

I found the mask annoying after a minute or two, and he is grimacing underneath it. The wiggly finger thing bothered me too. Is he a proctologist when he is not dancing?
Way too hyper. He needs to learn to chill, to move softly for part of his routine. Contrast is everything in choreography. He should spend some time watching Horacio in this respect.

Sum: I think that if he were a female dancer he wouldn't be getting much attention.

I think he is wearing the mask *because* of his tendancy to "grimace". Of course, it doesn't hide his mouth.:rolleyes:

Wiggly finger...weird, but I've seen stranger.

I have no problem with a fast/extreme routine.

I think if he were female, he'd be getting about the same amount of attention.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I don't care for the mask. I once saw a female dancer with one, didn't care for it then either.

That said...

I love the rest of his costume, and I love his moves!

Mark_Balahadia

I got you there, Rico! Well, I agree more or less with your critique except for the bit about the layering :p I would also add that I feel like his musical interpretation is a bit off.

Ha ha Mark I knew someone would seize on this inflammatory comment of mine. But does this mean you agree with the rest of my critique?

Status
Not open for further replies.