Stepping on Toes?

Brea

Hi all,

I have just found out that my credit course in dance will be offered in the fall. I was recommended to go to a nearby college to see if I could teach through continuing ed. Turns out another teacher is already teaching through there, as well as continuing ed in the sister city and owns a studio.

My question is: even if I teach at a different place, through continuing ed, will I be stepping on toes? I think I will be. I just want to ask to make sure.

My answer would be no since you are working through the University and not freelancing. Many colleges and universities offer the same classes with different instructors. There ae more than one math and language arts teacher right? I doubt that you are teaching on the same night and neither of you can control the class times and course descriptions. You are essentially a contract employee of the college.
Yasmine

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Can I comment as a student?

I would LOVE it if I could find 2 or 3 classes a week, even if it was under different teachers. I would at least like the option to have class on Tuesday instead of Wednesday, or earlier on Thursday instead of later on Monday.

Even if you think you're stepping on toes, you MIGHT just be offering a student like me a chance to study bellydance on a night that's more convenient.

just a thought ...

Brea

OK, but the problem is that this particular teacher is very competitive. I am afraid of...revenge, I suppose.

OK, but the problem is that this particular teacher is very competitive. I am afraid of...revenge, I suppose.

Don't let fear cheat you and potential students out of an opportunity! I used to teach anon-credit BD course at a local University and let me tell you, they had another teacher(known to me) teach classes too. WE were both employees providing a service to the campus. Students, if interested signed up for any course they wanted. It wasn't about competition..but the student's willingness to take the course.
Now, if this person wants to exact 'revenge'then at least you have recourse through the HR dept offering the class.
Yasmine

Gilana

Brea,

Nothing to be afraid of. If she has a problem with it, it is HER problem. As long as you maintain your professionalism and courtesy, then your side of the street is clean. As Aziyade said, you are offering current or potential students an option of a different time, place, and/or style. That can only be good for the community.

Go for it!

Brea

Hi,

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement! I am pursuing it now; the problem is that they want to offer something that doesn't sound EXACTLY like what the other teacher is offering, and I'm not quite sure what to tell them there.

KuteNurse

Hi,

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement! I am pursuing it now; the problem is that they want to offer something that doesn't sound EXACTLY like what the other teacher is offering, and I'm not quite sure what to tell them there.

Brea,

I know who you are talking about and I am sorry you feel that way. I think you are doing a great thing. Like I said before, I would like to take classes from you along with my current instructor. Once you name gets out there, I am sure many students will want to take classes with you. I do not think you have to worry about her stepping on your toes because you won't be stepping on her toes:) Not unless you intentionally set out to do so. lol Take some time and think of something unique you can teach your students. Keep your positive thoughts and you will be great! Hugs to you.

Brea

Wow thanks KuteNurse! I'd love to have you in my class. I'd love to have everybody in my class of course.

I was hoping you'd respond to this because we both are aware of the problems that might arise from teaching in this area.

charity

dont let someone else make a decision for you. all you need to be thinking about is what YOU want to do. if you step on toes, they'll move right. and if she doesnt, may the best teacher win...

KuteNurse

Wow thanks KuteNurse! I'd love to have you in my class. I'd love to have everybody in my class of course.

I was hoping you'd respond to this because we both are aware of the problems that might arise from teaching in this area.

I am very aware of the problem. I think a lot of dancers locally are aware and are changing their instructors as a result.