Locks, pops and rolls

Aniseteph

OK this might seem a really stupid question to many of you, but please educate me! This has got to be a good place to ask...

I keep reading about locks, pops and rolls - what are they? :confused: Something complicated that I wouldn't have encountered in my vast 2yr bellydance experience? or is it just a terminology thing and my teacher uses different words for the same thing? They sound like American terms to me.

Hoping someone can enlighten me!
A xxx

Sara

Hmm.. well from what I gather (and it isn't much since my teacher doesn't use those words either) it's when you like...say do a hip lift, but make it really sharp and controlled so it looks like it's locked. I think it can be any part of your body though, like belly, or shoulders etc.

A pop is when you push it out, again controlled and muscular?

And a roll, well, I'm guessing when it rolls- whatever it is your rolling that is.

But I'm not sure. If any body can help clarify I'd be chuffed. :)

Pops, Locks and Rolls

Hi Everyone, in hip-hop terminology, "pops" ae flowing moving movements that coincide with the music, 'locks" are tight muscular contractions that stop the flow(or pop). Imagine that you are doing a vertical chest circle that begins on a percussive beat(the pop) but then you contract your diaphragm tightly and perform a sharp chest bump forward(this is the lock). Rolls are soft fluid movements, which can involve the arms, torso, hips, travelling hip movements. Again imagine, a soft hip circle(roll), in which you end in a right hip bump on the first percussive beat(pop) but then you contract your left glute to "lock" the hip to the left.
I've seen a lot of American Tribal Fusion dancers use these types of movements i.e. Rachel Brice, to heavily percussive music. I've used hip-hop as the best way I can explain it since I see it a lot in American Urban dance.I'm sure there are other definitions and examples. IMO, these types of movements already existed in bellydance(and not necesarrily influenced by hip-hop) but they represent a different way to respond to the music. Yasmine

Gabi

Suspiciously American indeed :eek: - popping and locking are part of the same move - ya pop it out/up/down fast and hold it at controlled places - it's fun it's cool it's hard to get it sharp.

Roll is just roll - you're already doing it :D

I go look for a U-Tube linkie

Mair

I think (not sure, but I think) that in this Youtube clip that Moon linked to in another thread, when Rachel first stops traveling, she does a chest pop/lock, then a bellyroll. I'm not totally clear on terminology, so if I'm wrong here, someone please correct me.

:)
<33
Mair

P.S.- Sorry to subject everyone to Regis and Kelly, and yes, I am on a first-name basis with Rachel Brice. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gabi

Ahhh - here a non-tribal one I really like - damn - I can't link it, you can get it under search Esme, belly dance under YouTube

Aniseteph

Wow, what a response - thanks everyone.

Sorry to subject everyone to Regis and Kelly
Funny you should say that - when I started the clip I thought oh no not THEM again. Still, didn't have to watch the end bit again and get him in his stupid turban :D

And hey Gabi I didn't say SUSPICIOUSLY American!!! Don't you :eek: me! (Had to go back and check though :eek: ... it's exactly the sort of thing I would write. Are you reading my previews? :eek:)

Gabi

Wow, what a response - thanks everyone.

Funny you should say that - when I started the clip I thought oh no not THEM again. Still, didn't have to watch the end bit again and get him in his stupid turban :D

And hey Gabi I didn't say SUSPICIOUSLY American!!! Don't you :eek: me! (Had to go back and check though :eek: ... it's exactly the sort of thing I would write. Are you reading my previews? :eek:)

Weeeeeelllllllllllllll *snorkity* - now go look at Esme until I find out what I'm doing wrong with the U-Tube link - it's a good one - ME music and style (IMnotsohumbleopinion) but with some cool lock and pop