The weather around the world 2016

Daimona

After some weeks of rather cold and dry weather, temperatures are now just below the freezing point and it is snowing.

Mmm.. nice... finally real winter!

Shanazel

We've had your Norwegian winter because Earl, the Wyoming weather god, has been on sabbatical and Lena, the Norwegian weather goddess, has been sitting in. Thank goodness she is back where she belongs. A little bit of frigid weather is nicely seasonal but really, we're ready for the annual January thaw.

Roshanna

I've just got back from a trip to Bergen, Norway and the weather was gorgeous - Heavy snow on the first day, then cold, clear and sunny for the weekend. I'm told this is highly unusual and it usually just rains all the time there, so we got really lucky... Back in the UK now, and it's cold and crispy here too at the moment :)

Aniseteph

Seconding that the UK is cold at the mo, making up for our unfeasibly warm December. No snow here, but we have a Yellow Weather Warning of maybe freezing fog. I might hibernate tomorrow until it is warmer. (Friday, apparently).

Shanazel

Snowing since about 4:30 this afternoon. The ground was warm enough to melt the first snow then that melt water froze and got covered with more snow. Slick, you betcha. Glad I came home from Denver last night instead of tonight. The roads in Colorado were all dry then just outside of Laramie the road went from perfectly dry on the south slope to perfect black ice and snow on the north side. Looked like someone drew a line between dry and frozen. Ground blizzards were fierce. It could only be worse tonight.

Darshiva

We'd been out of the area for two and a half years, living in some truly dry regions of Australia, so I've been completely weirded out by the local definition of 'drought'. In the 5 months that we've been here, we've had more rain than the entire 2.5 years combined. Where we were living before (in Nhill) this is enough rain to cause panic.

Shanazel

Ooops! Presumed it would be snowing in Hell. Wrong again. Windy here, too. In our area, we have 40 mph sustained winds with gusts to 70 mph. Typical January weather.

Ariadne

Ummm... It's been really nice here the last few days. All I need is a light sweater and a scarf outside and most of you would probably think it was late spring/summer.

Shanazel

Go out and do something really fun and think of those of us still locked into winter mode. The wind died down some and it is snowing. Imbolc is not exactly a herald of spring around these parts.

BigJim

The end of Jan and we'very had a fabulous winter so far. Very little for snowfall and the mildest temperatures I've ever seen. Today is 0 Celsius. ..32 F... Guess all the bad weather is down East

Ariadne

Aaaand it's over. Rainy and cold and a high chance of snow tomorrow. I expect the weather will flip flop at least two more times in the next two weeks until we finally hit our last frost of the season.

Go out and do something really fun and think of those of us still locked into winter mode.
Does grocery shopping count?

Shanazel

Uh, no. I went grocery shopping today and despite finding some nice Bosc pears remained uninspired to begin the rites of spring. However, my grandson and my dog and I went for a walk along the frozen river today with only a gentle 20mph breeze rippling the tree branches. The path and parking lot were icy but I didn't fall on my dear little butt once so consider the excursion a complete success.

Snow forecast for tomorrow and Tuesday with temps in the mid-20s. As long as it is above zero, we'll call it balmy, shall we?

Ariadne

Uh, no. I went grocery shopping today and despite finding some nice Bosc pears remained uninspired to begin the rites of spring.
:lol:

Well it snowed last night. There's about an inch on the grass, everything else is melting. I guess January didn't leave without a fight.

We even have a "Winter Weather Advisory" issued.
"... Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 11 PM MST this
evening...

* affected area... utahs Dixie and Zion National Park... mainly
above 3500 feet.

* Snow accumulations... storm totals above 3500 feet 1 to 4
inches with an inch or less in St George.

* Timing... rain will gradually change over to snow before
precipitation tapers off later today.

* Snow levels... near 4000 feet falling to 2500 feet this morning.

* Impacts... winter driving conditions are expected this morning.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means that snow accumulations
will cause primarily travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow
covered roads. Use caution while driving.

For winter Road conditions from the Utah Department of
Transportation... visit
http://www.Udottraffic.Utah.Gov/roadweatherforecast.Aspx or dial
511."

Feel free to laugh.

Shanazel

Let me get this straight- they issue winter storm advisories for accumulations of one to four inches?

Ariadne

Yep.

Hardly anyone knows how to drive here if there is the slightest bit of ice on the road. It's a total calamity if there's black ice. Mind you with the steep hills, no snow plows, and no winter tires it can actually be dangerous but usually the biggest danger is just the other drivers.

Three to five inches and it's a snow day. :D