Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Tribal Fusion has a foundation in ATS that is then blended with other BD styles as well as world dance (Hip hop, Bahgra, etc) but the world dance is optional so yes it it counts as "real" fusion, ATS is just that different. For that matter so is the aesthetic in Gothic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Tribal Fusion has a foundation in ATS that is then blended with other BD styles as well as world dance (Hip hop, Bahgra, etc) but the world dance is optional so yes it it counts as "real" fusion, ATS is just that different. For that matter so is the aesthetic in Gothic.
    By styles being not different enough to make it a 'real' fusion, I meant Gothic Tribal with ATS, not Egyptian/ Cabaret with ATS though, by what you wrote, it seems that Gothic Tribal is more of the aesthetic & way of performing rather than a style all of its own. Is that right? If so, then what are Gothic Tribal workshops for if not technique -- costuming & things like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AyaKara View Post
    By styles being not different enough to make it a 'real' fusion, I meant Gothic Tribal with ATS, not Egyptian/ Cabaret with ATS though, by what you wrote, it seems that Gothic Tribal is more of the aesthetic & way of performing rather than a style all of its own. Is that right? If so, then what are Gothic Tribal workshops for if not technique -- costuming & things like that?
    I messed around a bit in goth bellydance, and I'd say yes, that assessment is correct.

The dancers who (to me) really represent this aesthetic the BEST are really working towards a theatrical performance of mostly a bellydance vibe, but with a lot of styling from contemporary Western theatrical dance. Some of them don't even self-identify as Goth, but are really able to capture the "essence" of the Goth music and subculture without making the performance look like something South Park would make fun of.

However:

At one point it was argued that there was an actual STYLE of dance that could be called "Goth Dance" -- not bellydance, but an actual style of dance. I think this opinion was entirely dependent upon the region of the country you were familiar with, and the timeframe you're talking about. There are still people who hold this opinion and will point you to videos or articles from the 90s on "How to Dance Goth." What is described in those links is usually nothing that was part of my experience in the Goth nightclubs in Atlanta or Chicago or the clubs that catered to Goths in Louisville. Might have been a regional thing. Also might have been a 90s thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! I'm definitely going to look all of that up. At least now I know that I won't have to go nuts looking for a Gothic BD teacher in NYC

I'm going to assume then that workshops for GTS are for costuming, appearance, performance, etc. That's great, because now I know that I can spend time learning Egyptian or Cabaret once I work my way through ATS. Thank you Aziyade!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, Gothic bellydancers come from any style of BD. Go with whatever styles you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by AyaKara View Post
    it seems that Gothic Tribal is more of the aesthetic & way of performing rather than a style all of its own. Is that right?
    Also correct as Aziyade says. Just keep in mind that aesthetic is a big part of style. A tango performed with giggling and broad smiles with teasing tosses of the head might still be technically perfect but I dare say plenty of dancers would declare it to not be "real tango". "How" a move is done is more then the movement itself and does include presentation. The aesthetic of Gothic Bellydance is sufficiently distinct to make it considered by many a style of it's own even though it has no movements that are solely its own.

PS. If you have questions about Gothic BD can I recommend asking Tempest? (Tempest's Teapot) She's a member of this forum in fact.
    Last edited by Ariadne; 10-25-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added PS

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually read Tempest's website quite often thank you for letting me know! I'm glad to have so many knowledgeable resources here, I really appreciate it

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567