Why no BLUES belly dancers?

Farasha Hanem

:think: There has been something that I've been wondering about. Is it inappropriate for a Tribal Fusion dancer to dance to ME music (at least pop music)? :think: In my mind, I can totally picture Sharon Kihara dancing to a peppy Hakim song.

kalila_raks

:lol: Maybe that's what we all need once in a while - a "get it out of your system" hafla. All those mad props you fancy playing with, silly costume ideas, music that seemed a good idea at the time, terrible fusion concepts... and all video footage safely locked away for future use as aversion therapy.

Can you imagine how cleansed and refreshed and in love with proper belly dance you'd feel afterwards? :D :D :D

It seems like that's a description of every festival I've ever gone to, and it doesn't seem to be out of people's system yet. I've been speechless and perplexed by some of the acts I've seen over the years at belly dance festivals (maybe it's because I'm in California?). At the last one I went to, my sister (who is also a belly dancer) and I sat through about 5 extremely strange acts in a row, which included light sabers, tea cups, masks, homages to Moulin Rouge, etc., before she turned to me and asked, "Why isn't anyone here just belly dancing?"

kalila_raks

This is not aimed at anyone in particular but I admit I was triggered by your post Hypnos. (But please don't feel attacked)
Many times in a discussion about fusion and using other music the point comes up that using middle eastern music is somehow -serious, not fun, politically correct etc, and using western or non middle eastern music is -lighthearted, fun, for a laugh, what everyone secretly want but don't dare, more modern etc
Maybe I am exaggerating here?

I just don't agree with this. For me what it all starts with is the music. I don't get in bellydance mode without THE music. It's not like I use ME music because I think I must to be taken serious as a dancer, it's that I CAN'T dance well without it. I am not dissing fusion here, I think some of it is wonderful. It's the argument that middle-eastern music is serious and non-ME is fun, that I find not true. Am I the only one that thinks like this?
There are ME music for ALL feelings in life. Go ahead and dance to anything you like, but don't think that this is the secret desire of every dancer and that we are too scared of the belly police to do so. Some people actually love ME more than blues or techno or whatever.

Gisela, That was perfectly worded. I agree 100% :clap:

Shanazel

Homage to Moulin Rouge? The mind boggles. I saw a "belly dance" video done to the song Roxanne and simply could not understand why someone would want to do floor work (or anything else) to a song about prostitution.

Farasha Hanem

Homage to Moulin Rouge? The mind boggles. I saw a "belly dance" video done to the song Roxanne and simply could not understand why someone would want to do floor work (or anything else) to a song about prostitution.

Oh, my Lord!!! :shok:

Why give bellydance such a bad name? We have it tough enough as it is. :(