The Orientaldancer.net Dictionary

Amulya

Fringe monster: a costume that's more fringe than costume

not sure who invented that one. There must be so many more words we all came up with in the meantime, got to dig through the site to find them!

LadyLoba

I like the belly dance ghost!

He pushed me tonight. I was dancing beautifully...I'm good enough to be a professional...he just keeps grabbing my arms and putting them in odd positions..and hitting me in the side of the head to make me look down instead of keeping my head in tune with my dancing...yep...no bad habits here...I'm haunted by that belly dance ghost.

(note: I'm teasing. My dancing is only going to be professional if a teacher pays me stand in front of her class and serve as the example of the many mistakes that can be made)

Amulya

Did we list the boob fairy yet? An old one from Bhuz. The boob fairy is the one who comes around and adds some extra cup size unexpectedly, wanted or unwanted and no, not plastic surgery LOL

Shanazel

I assume the boob fairy is related to the waist elf and the patootie pixie? Vicious little beasts they are.

Amulya

I saw on someones Facebook status a really funny one, but it was in Dutch so it will loose a bit of its funnyness in translation:

'bacteria? Aren't they those creatures that come at night and shrink your clothes?'

LadyLoba

I have two to contribute:

Self Esteem Queen: Often a "6 week wonder" in behavior, the self esteem queen has no interest in learning how to belly dance well. For her...it's all about how many people she can get to tell her she looks great in her costume and how beautiful she feels onstage. Often seen merely wiggling around at random and posing on stage and on youtube videos, typically surrounded by individuals who have no clue she can't dance but are praising her and telling her what she wants to hear about her dancing because they find her attractive. The self esteem queen can be identified by her lack of skill, refusal to learn or practice, and immense pride in the fact that she "hasn't even been belly dancing that long."

Usage: I tried to find some examples of new belly dancers I haven't yet heard of, but all that came up were a bunch of self esteem queens who weren't even coming close to belly dancing.

The Shimmy Spirit: The shimmy spirit is the entity that takes over the body and mind of belly dancers and belly dance students and causes them to unconsciously drill moves or try out combinations at odd times.

Usage: Everyone at work looked at me strangely today. I was in the copy room and the shimmy spirit made me start practicing my egyptian shimmy while I waited for the machine to warm up.

Ariadne

I like "Self Esteem Queen" better. Sometimes it's not that they are trying to "hoard" the attention they just think they're entitled to it. :)

Daimona

Target boobs; Bra design that make you think of each cups of the bra as targets. See attached image from the TPBDC thread. Source: LadyLoba (this post)

Crotch target; Belt design that make you think of front centerpiece as target. See attached image from the TPBDC thread. Source: Aniseteph (this post)

Daimona

Butt swag: A fashionable appearance of the butt, reffering to decorations of loops of draped fabric (swags).
Source: Shanazel in this post.

See attached thumbnail to see costume in question:

Daimona

choreocraphies - crappy and boring choreographies. Source: this thread (though originally an unintentional spelling error, it was brilliant!)

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

Apparently, I coined a couple recently, thought I'd post.

Fringectomy: removal of excessive fringe from a bedlah

Halteration: conversion of a halter style bra to one with straps attaching at the back.

chirel

Thanks for including my mistake as an official term now. I'm not the source, since I didn't give it any meaning. That was someone elses doing and s/he can keep the credit.

Honestly I don't think it funny to joke about peoples mistakes. What about the rest of you? I think my English is pretty good for someone who has never been to an English speaking country, but it's not perfect and I make mistakes. I'd like to see you write Finnish as well as I write English. Actually if you are interested I'd be happy to teach, since that's my future profession.

Edit.
I don't mind being politely corrected. Actually, I'd like it as I want to learn. But I don't enjoy being a laughing stock.

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
I am very sure that you are not a laughing stock. I thought it was a brilliant play with words, although of course I know it was unintentional.
My guess is that others too thought that it was a fun word that could actually be used to describe something. There are loads of people from all over the world and wow, we make typos and language mistakes all the time. Only a few of those mistakes are lucky enough to be as funny and useful as yours. I'm sorry you took it that way and I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.

I lived in Finland for half a year in 2006 and all I remember now is Hyvää, lonka, oikea, vasen (yes I took bellydance classes :lol:)
Thanks for including my mistake as an official term now. I'm not the source, since I didn't give it any meaning. That was someone elses doing and s/he can keep the credit.

Honestly I don't think it funny to joke about peoples mistakes. What about the rest of you? I think my English is pretty good for someone who has never been to an English speaking country, but it's not perfect and I make mistakes. I'd like to see you write Finnish as well as I write English. Actually if you are interested I'd be happy to teach, since that's my future profession.

Edit.
I don't mind being politely corrected. Actually, I'd like it as I want to learn. But I don't enjoy being a laughing stock.