The Orientaldancer.net Dictionary

Shanazel

Dearest Chirel, none of us would hurt your feelings for the world and hope you understand now that we delight in word play, puns, and language mistakes. I probably make more funny mistakes in English than anyone on the forum and it is my native language.

Guess you could say I have more experience murdering the language than most. :D

Take credit for the neologism you created, however inadvertantly, and BE PROUD of it!

chirel

I suppose I overreacted, although I'm not quite sure yet. In my opinion as a language learner and a teacher I really think it is bad manors to point out other peoples mistakes and make fun of them.

Here's another thought. Some people are very concious of their mistakes and would never risk making one. Especially in social situations like communication (that's what language is for). You can't know who is like this and who is not. I happen to be very shy about my mistakes and nervous too. It is really stressfull for me to write in English sometimes as it's so hard to figure out the spelling. This is my personality, but I think I might thank the Finnish school system for this too as it focused so much on correcting mistakes instead of being able to communicate. With English I have reached a level where I mostly am not too concius about my mistakes. But as with the choreocraphy-typo, I now can not type the word without becoming stuck and very consous about the possibility of a mistake. It hurt my feelings when the typo was pointed out and laughed at. I thank the moderator who fixed the title and decided not to mention imy feelings as I felt I might say something rude. I was really sad to come across it again, and decided to speak out. I don't feel like being proud - especially not when being told to do so.

Henna

Come on, Chirel, please don't take it so hard. There is a difference between laughing at a mistake and laughing at a pun. When a mistake turns into a pun, it is laughed at as a pun. The unintended puns are actually the best ones.

Shanazel

Don't feel proud then, Chirel, and please excuse any unwelcome efforts on my part to soothe your feelings. I won't make the mistake again. :cool:

chirel

I suppose I now hurt your feelings Shanazel, which was not my meaning. I'm sorry. (Propably a cultural barrier here too.)

I think I've used all my words to try to explain my side of this, and will stop. Maybe someone understood what I meant and how I've felt. But for thse who don't there's propably nothing more I can say to make it clear. Case closed on my part.

Darshiva

Chirel, there was no mocking involved in this at any point.

People thought you came up with something cool and added it to the dictionary. You pointed out that it was a typo that you felt embarrassed about.

People said 'who cares, it's still cool'. You said that you felt that people were mocking you.

People pointed out that they were just in awe of how awesome you were even when you weren't trying. You said you felt they were still mocking you.

A promise was made to not try to smooth things over with you anymore because it was just making things worse.

Does that help clarify the situation for you?

chirel

Dear Darshiva, yes it does. Although I didn't feel like I needed a clarification anymore. Whatever it was it passed already. I'm fine. (I can even live with the darn typo ;) ). Please everyone, no need to cheer me up or apologise or explain anymore. It's fine. I'm sorry and thank you all.

And I do like this place a lot. :)

Daimona

Apparently, I coined a couple recently, thought I'd post.

Fringectomy: removal of excessive fringe from a bedlah

Halteration: conversion of a halter style bra to one with straps attaching at the back.

:lol: Good ones! What would one call it doing it the opposite way, such as adding lots of fringes and converting a shoulder strap bra to a halterneck bra?

Shanazel

Nope, no hurt feelings on my part. A bit of eye rolling, but no hurt feelings. ;) Pax. Glad you're here.

I suppose I now hurt your feelings Shanazel, which was not my meaning. I'm sorry. (Propably a cultural barrier here too.)

I think I've used all my words to try to explain my side of this, and will stop. Maybe someone understood what I meant and how I've felt. But for thse who don't there's propably nothing more I can say to make it clear. Case closed on my part.

Darshiva

I don't know if this has already come up here, but I just thought of a great description for the exhaustion the day after a huge show - hafla lag.

Useage: "My hafla lag from last night's show is so bad I'm thinking about going to bed. It's only 9pm!"

Amulya

Forensic Bedlahlogist: one who excavates old costumes looking for clues about the owners over time.

Or someone who tries to figure out what certain costume parts were used for: like that costume with the weird straps inside the belt we had in the costume section once. People thought it was for tucking in veils.
Or maybe we should call that a archeological bedlahlogist?

Shanazel

Those straps were obviously some kind of vestigial structure. Definitely the specialty of archeological bedlahologists. :cool: