The Orientaldancer.net Dictionary

Amulya

For all those who are new we probably need to explain some orientaldancer-isms:

sparkle fart = a piece of fringe placed at the bum part of dance pants
crassels = crotch tassels
nassels = nipple tassles
3 am zill brigade = a trouple of dancers who will play zills at 3am under the bedroom window of offender for punishment

there must be more....

gisela

Super Moderator
Assel= sparkle fart (but less blingy perhaps?)

Confusion= a fusion that doesn't make sense

Daimona

It is time to revive this thread!

assel = tassel placed at the back. Not necessarily blingy. See sparkle fart.

boob eyes = bra design where the design on the bra appears as eyes from a distance. Used of both intentionally and unintentionally "eyes".

booby tassels = tassels on bra. See nassels.

peek-a-boob = bra design with flesh colored spots on bra.

peek-a-belly = cut-outs in front showing the belly. Rather common in Turkish dresses.

bouilabasse troupe = collection of TPBDCs related to marine environment (i.e. appliquées of fishes, shells etc)

camel toe = ...

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
It is time to revive this thread!

assel = tassel placed at the back. Not necessarily blingy (see sparkle fart)

boob eyes = bra design where the design on the bra appears as eyes from a distance. Used of both intentionally and unintentionally "eyes".

booby tassels = tassels on bra, see nassels

peek-a-boob = bra design with flesh colored spots on bra.

peek-a-belly = cut-outs in front showing the belly. Rather common in Turkish dresses.

bouilabasse troupe = collection of TPBDCs related to marine environment (i.e. appliquées of fishes, shells etc)

camel toe = ...
Camel toe = female genitalia is obvious through tight fitting pants/shorts

Raqs (raks) beaver = when all is exposed due to no or very skimpy undies under skirts (ie: floor work facing audience, spins, cut outs on costumes in wrong places & so forth)

Shanazel

Shimmy bore: the dancer who does five minutes of shimmy variations (thanks
to Serena Wilson who came up with this one many years ago)

Popaholic: the dancer who devotes herself to muscular gymnastics

Bliss ninny: dancer who uses belly dance to groove with the universe without regard to musicality, appropriate movement, or costuming (I stole this one from The Rainbow Family).

Amulya

A couple of new ones there for me! Love them!

Some are already very old and were invented on Bhuz, like the bouillabaisse troupe. I can't remember who came up with that one, that was in the first TPBDC thread on Bhuz.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I want to add this to my favorites but who can tell me how to do this? This is a fantastic thread!
What browser do you use? With Mozilla at the top there is 'bookmarks' I think Explorer has favourites, click and save, In my bookmarks I have folders for various subjects, like music, bellydance info, bellydance costumes etc. because my bookmarks are a mile long so I need to break them up into folders so it is easier to find.
~Mosaic

Amanda (was Aziyade)

WTFusion = WTF + Fusion

Fauxloric or Fakeloric = Reda-style folkloric that isn't really folkloric, but looks it. ***

*** maybe more of a general dance term than and OD term, but still.

Do we add things like "6-week wonder" and "Turkish Airport Special" ?

Greek Bonfire

What browser do you use? With Mozilla at the top there is 'bookmarks' I think Explorer has favourites, click and save, In my bookmarks I have folders for various subjects, like music, bellydance info, bellydance costumes etc. because my bookmarks are a mile long so I need to break them up into folders so it is easier to find.
~Mosaic

Thanks - this has solved my problem!

teela

I know what the 6 week wonder is but the Turkish Airport Special??? Is it someone who goes to Turkey for a quick lesson and is now an expert????

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

I know what the 6 week wonder is but the Turkish Airport Special??? Is it someone who goes to Turkey for a quick lesson and is now and expert????

It's one of those really tacky bellydance costumes you can buy at the Turkishn airports. I've seen one or two that were actually passable but most of them look about the same as one of those Halloween costumes you can buy at the adult costume stores. :shok:

Amulya

6-week wonder is a real classic one and Turkish airport special I heard a while back on Bhuz for the first time.

There is also the 3am zill brigade and Bhuz used to have (maybe still has) an emoticon for it.
What does it mean? If a dancer needs punishment for something unforgivable she has done a brigade of belly dancers with zills will start playing under her bedroom window at 3am...

Oh and there is also the belly dance police.

I'm afraid Bhuz claims most of the words, so we have to come up with some new ones!

In Holland we have the 'belly dance fundamentalists', which refers to students of Soraya Hilal who think they do the pure form of raqs sharqi. Not many people outside of Europe know about this stream of dancers I guess.

gisela

Super Moderator
I remember we were talking about slapping people with a beaded gauntlet (ouch!) if they were dragging bellydance in the dirt or otherwise misbehaving. I am not sure we had a specific word for this action though :lol: b!t(h- slap or something perhaps...

ETA: Oh oh oh I remember now! It was called a BOB-slap! (bitches of bellydance)
Adiemus even made this amazing image:

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

How about some icons? I love the Zill Brigade on Bhuz as well as the Belly Dance Police. And the one barfing - well, I bet we could make use of that one!